How to improve your vocabulary Watch

Naisha0009
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Can someone suggest me how improve your vocabulary in English?im really poor at vocabulary part in English
MilleniumAngel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I just save definitions of words that I haven't seen before, and then look at the synonyms.
Naisha0009
Rep:
?
Thankx that will help
ellalawler
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
reading more is the most effective way! i used to be poor at vocabulary, but i started reading more and now my A level english grades are getting better
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Naisha0009
Rep:
?
What kinda books do you read?
abdelismail31
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I record voice notes whenever I learn a new word that I like and can commmonly apply. Reading in general is really good to not merely expand your vocabulary but also your imagination =P.
ellalawler
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Naisha0009)
i do english literature for A level so i read around my subject as we do a lot of pre 1900 and post 1945, so i read a lot of novels by classic authors. i read well known fiction, in short!
Naisha0009
Rep:
?
Thank u ...will try that
zxvs
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Can someone suggest me how improve your vocabulary in English?im really poor at vocabulary part in English
Reading can be tedious sometimes (or at least it is for me) and I often lose concentration, so I don't find it the most effective method for improving my vocabulary. Instead, I'd watch documentaries/films (or just YouTube videos) that seem like they'd include 'fancy' words and if I don't understand it, I search up the definition and explore the word a bit (i.e. how it is used in a sentence). I end up remembering a lot more.

That works for me so if you feel like it would work for you too, then go ahead.
Naisha0009
Rep:
?
I understand..but the thing is im not really good at listening and because of that sometimes i misheard the words
zxvs
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I understand..but the thing is im not really good at listening and because of that sometimes i misheard the words
That's fair enough. There are often subtitles for movies and documentaries. However, if you prefer reading, then just pick up a book that you think you'd enjoy but also challenges you intellectually at the same time.
Lemon1806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I agree with reading, if you enjoy or find it easy to, especially older fictional books as they tend to have more vocabulary you may not be accustomed to. Equally I read a lot of History based non fiction books (but you could read around any subject not specifically history) and I’ve found that has helped me develop my analytical vocabulary
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Reading various of things (from literature, newspaper to even scientific journals) and associating yourself with smarter people will generally improve your vocabulary.
saffronmae
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Reading, looking up words you don't know, looking up synonyms for things - when you look up words, writing them down and reading over these every now and again
ForeverAQx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Maybe read a thesaurus every so often so that you learn and maybe use more complex English vocabulary
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think a range of good material is key, remember "practice makes perfect" (or close to it) simply encountering a larger range of words day to day and consistently using and increasing your exposure to the language will help a lot , learning does not have to all be conscious either (although the majority is), subconscious learning like playing a podcast in the background or having the news on in the back in evenings helps a lot as your brain will reinforce what it can pick up too , just keeping asking questions and always search for more things on google too, there's no such thing as a dumb question and English does have quite a diverse range of rules, tenses and sentence structure etc, you can do it !
Naisha0009
Rep:
?
Thank u ...will try that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads