The Student Room Group

Can't study because of loneliness/depression.

I moved to London from another country for A-Levels, I try to study for an exam but then I feel depressed because everyone at my age has a girlfriend but I don't even know anyone. I know it might get better later (maybe in Uni) but I feel like I'm wasting my teen years. Does anyone else feel this way?
Reply 1
It's important to not worry (too much) about all your statuses, positions in life and what you feel you're missing out on and just keep yourself in good order as best you can. Remember thinking long term (IE getting your A levels done) helps us out massively in future. Try your best to keep your mind occupied and don't let it idle, because otherwise it's prone to eventually run through the negatives in ourselfs and compare to others etc.

I really recommend you get this sorted for your studies, because juggling depression and studies is often not possible. If you feel it's bad enough to seek professional help see a GP (or other professional help) about depression. Do you have friends to talk to? Recommend finding people to talk to who are relatable (and do this regularly) if you're struggling with loneliness.

And here's another hopeful mindset for you: one day having A levels and going through uni is going to help you massively relationship wise, rather than not

Onwards and upwards, and you'll be just fine :smile:
Take care
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by B-Rabbid
I moved to London from another country for A-Levels, I try to study for an exam but then I feel depressed because everyone at my age has a girlfriend but I don't even know anyone. I know it might get better later (maybe in Uni) but I feel like I'm wasting my teen years. Does anyone else feel this way?

i recommend watching the films rebels of the neon god and un homme qui dort
Reply 3
Original post by Love for Love
Do you have friends to talk to? Recommend finding people to talk to who are relatable (and do this regularly) if you're struggling with loneliness.

I have friends in my Sixth Form but I always feel like having a girlfriend to talk to would make most of my problems go away. I can study for some time but eventually the feeling that I'm wasting the "best" part of my life comes back.
Reply 4
I have friends in my Sixth Form but I always feel like having a girlfriend to talk to would make most of my problems go away. I can study for some time but eventually the feeling that I'm wasting the "best" part of my life comes back.

You shouldn't rely on another person to "make most of [your] problems go away", that's a poor way to start a relationship.
Reply 5
Original post by Pathway
You shouldn't rely on another person to "make most of [your] problems go away", that's a poor way to start a relationship.

My main problem is loneliness so they don't have to do anything. I just need someone to talk to who would listen tbh.
bro i feel you so much

i'm in the same boat but doing GCSE's

i need someone to love, cherish and call my own but life sucks.

dw uni will be full of hotties, just focus on a levels
Reply 7

I do believe being in a genuine relationship is a very, very good thing (as my name gives off), however, I do not believe you can look at it as a 'it will take it my problems away'. You have to sort and help yourself out first and find happiness own your own first. Letting everything onto another person would also risk loosing sight of yourself, and you are important. Once you've found happiness yourself then you can be really proactive in seeking a relationship.

Take care

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending