This discussion is closed.
tiger_vio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ok I REALLY need help with this, the whole concept is driving me insane.
So in 1966 Baddeley set up an experiment to see whether in the short-term memory, information is coded semantically or acoustically.
He gave some participants with words that were acoustically similiar, like house, mouse, etc.. and other participants had words that were semantically similar like clean, neat, tidy etc.
I get his study up to there. Then I have a complete mental block which I have not been able to get over for about a year now on this study :mad:

So he found that after immediate recall, participants with the acoustically similar words got confused, but those with semantically similar words did not and were better at the task.

Apparantly this means that short term memory coding is acoustic, not semantic.. but I don't understand why!! I dont get the link- why is it that because acoustically similar participants recalled less words, that means the STM is responsible for acoustic coding?! Argh, someone help? :mad:
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if you remember a word in terms of sounds then it's easier to get confused between them when you have a long list (think of it in terms of "she sells sea shells by the sea shore"; when you think about it it's easy to do it, but when you try to say it fast you just get confused)

does that make sense?
tiger_vio
Rep:
?
(Original post by paperclip)
if you remember a word in terms of sounds then it's easier to get confused between them when you have a long list (think of it in terms of "she sells sea shells by the sea shore"; when you think about it it's easy to do it, but when you try to say it fast you just get confused)

does that make sense?
Yes it does- but I think the thing I don't understand is..
I get that we're more likely to confuse words that sound the same, but whats that got to do with memory?

I just link that logically, if the STM codes things by sound, participants would do BETTER recalling similar sounding words. Also, if the STM is acoustic, then how come participants remember MORE words that are semantic, if the STM doesn't even code semantically?!?
paperclip
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tiger_vio)
Yes it does- but I think the thing I don't understand is..
I get that we're more likely to confuse words that sound the same, but whats that got to do with memory?

I just link that logically, if the STM codes things by sound, participants would do BETTER recalling similar sounding words. Also, if the STM is acoustic, then how come participants remember MORE words that are semantic, if the STM doesn't even code semantically?!?
i think it has to do with interference in memory; one word will interfere with another, etc

and because the words had to be placed in the correct order i think made it harder; try to get your friends to do it to you (the similar sounding ones would get confused whereas the ones with distinct sound will have a place)

acoustically similar
man
mad
map
mat
mar

acoustically dissimilar
pen
day
now
dot
box
tiger_vio
Rep:
?
Thanks paperclip! Im still not getting it 100% though I just think that if the STM coded things acoustically, wouldnt we be *better* at recalling similar words? :confused: How come we remember words with similar meanings better when the STM doesnt even code for semantics?
Cheers
artorscience?
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
When you try and remember similar sounding words they become linked with each other which means that you can't remember what words were there, just that they all sounded thus. Because the words are only in STM they haven't been asosiated with meaning, they are just sounds that your memory is going to be repeating to help it remember.

The words with similar meanings were easier to recall because as they were coded acoustically they were all different. Each word was put in a different pigeon hole whereas the one that sounded the same were all placed in the same pigeon hole and so were recalled jumbled up. (Does that make it any clearer?)

Recall had nothing to do with the semantics.
tiger_vio
Rep:
?
(Original post by artorscience?)
When you try and remember similar sounding words they become linked with each other which means that you can't remember what words were there, just that they all sounded thus. Because the words are only in STM they haven't been asosiated with meaning, they are just sounds that your memory is going to be repeating to help it remember.

The words with similar meanings were easier to recall because as they were coded acoustically they were all different. Each word was put in a different pigeon hole whereas the one that sounded the same were all placed in the same pigeon hole and so were recalled jumbled up. (Does that make it any clearer?)

Recall had nothing to do with the semantics.
#

Ahhhhh yes that makes it so much clearer!
So just to clarify- the STM codes acoustically, but the LTM codes acoustically and semantically- therefore we remember more when things go into the LTM because they are coded in both?
So that means Baddeley wanted to test if the STM coded acoustically and the LTM coded acoustically and semantically.. and because the STM ONLY codes acoustically, (therefore the words only go in one 'pigeon hole'), people confuse similar sounding words! Is that it!?

Wait a minute.. does that mean that that similar sounding words go into the STM, but the words that have the same meanings go into the LTM straight away because the LTM codes for semantics?
artorscience?
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wait a minute.. does that mean that that similar sounding words go into the STM, but the words that have the same meanings go into the LTM straight away because the LTM codes for semantics?
No, everything has to go to the STM and in the STM is processed acoustically. When anything has been "remembered" it is processed in LTM where it is stored according to its meaning.

...people confuse similar sounding words! Is that it!?
To simplify everything, yes that's it Well it's all you need to know. :p:
tiger_vio
Rep:
?
(Original post by artorscience?)
No, everything has to go to the STM and in the STM is processed acoustically. When anything has been "remembered" it is processed in LTM where it is stored according to its meaning.
Ahh ok.

So.. to summarise (:p: i hope this is right)
Because the STM only codes acoustically, the participants with the similar sounding words got confused
But with the similar meaning words, the words went from the STM to the LTM where they were coded semantically, and were therefore remembered better?
artorscience?
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
But with the similar meaning words, the words went from the STM to the LTM where they were coded semantically, and were therefore remembered better?
All the words that were repeated enough got "remembered" in the LTM and were coded semantically which means that they were more easily recalled as they were stored together as similar meaning words, yes.
tiger_vio
Rep:
?
Got it now. I think before my logic just said that if the STM coded acoustically, it would be better at similar sounding words.. but now I realise that it's because the STM is acoustic that it gets confused- because you are throwing all these similar sounding words at it, therefore it can't keep up and gets confused :P

Thanks for your help aos, will give you rep tommorow
Caits24
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am so pleased I'm not the only one that doesn't understand it either, I completely agree with you
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads