The Student Room Group

Need to apply to uni soon - no idea what to study

Honestly, I am totally stuck.

My S5 (Higher subjects) were:
History (interesting but too intense)
Computing (wasn't good enough at it)
Latin (didn't enjoy teacher, subject OK)
English (competent but didn't enjoy)
French (liked it, but see below)

French is my only Advanced Higher this year. I like French and want another language, but I just don't feel passionate about it and am probably trying to force myself to be passionate about it so I can say that I have something to study.

My school and parents are putting a lot of pressure on me, so I'm getting a bit stressed out. What should I do? I haven't found anything that I've clicked with yet and if I do French, I do fear that I will end up going through the motions a bit and won't fully enjoy uni.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joe2001
Honestly, I am totally stuck.

My S5 (Higher subjects) were:
History (interesting but too intense)
Computing (wasn't good enough at it)
Latin (didn't enjoy teacher, subject OK)
English (competent but didn't enjoy)
French (liked it, but see below)

French is my only Advanced Higher this year. I like French and want another language, but I just don't feel passionate about it and am probably trying to force myself to be passionate about it so I can say that I have something to study.

My school and parents are putting a lot of pressure on me, so I'm getting a bit stressed out. What should I do? I haven't found anything that I've clicked with yet and if I do French, I do fear that I will end up going through the motions a bit and won't fully enjoy uni.

I'd really recommend a gap year in your case. Don't rush and end up regretting your decisions.
A gap year might be good. You can get a job and earn money and you can find out what you really like
You don't need to apply this year.
Take a gap year and find out more about what you like.
Research the courses and then apply next year
@JustonBibero Why do you think French is gay?

Secondly, as I am not skilled enough for STEM or medicine, what do you recommend I do instead?
(edited 5 years ago)
Do politics!!! There are plenty of courses out there that you haven’t ever done yet and that I’m sure you’ll find interesting!!
Original post by Sophbarry16
Do politics!!! There are plenty of courses out there that you haven’t ever done yet and that I’m sure you’ll find interesting!!

I've been told to avoid politics as it is very competitive. I enjoy Modern Studies at school but the politics course at unis don't seem to be to my liking.

Secondly, whilst there may be stuff out there, It's a bit tough to know what that would be just now.
Take a gap year, I did that and am now in uni doing something I like and feel happy to do.
I sort of want to quit high school and take something like a gap year now.

How can I do that?
Original post by Joe2001
I sort of want to quit high school and take something like a gap year now.

How can I do that?

Just by dropping out. Do you meet entrance requirement for the uni's though? (i.e. what are your results?)

I thought you wanted to work on cruise ships though (or was that another person?) so shouldn't you maybe do a degree in the entertainment industry if that's what you want
Reply 10
Original post by JustonBibero
thats the f/cked up thing of higher education joe over there is pressured into thinking its uni or bust. and is at risk of paying 50k to study a gay french degree. study STEM or medicine or dont go its not worth it

Considering this is in scotland the degree isn’t costing anything near that amount.
Original post by Bio 7
Considering this is in scotland the degree isn’t costing anything near that amount.

Studies themselves are free in Scotland from what I gather.
Original post by AzureCeleste
I thought you wanted to work on cruise ships though (or was that another person?) so shouldn't you maybe do a degree in the entertainment industry if that's what you want

That was me, but there aren't really any degrees that match my desired onboard position.
Reply 13
Original post by Joe2001
Studies themselves are free in Scotland from what I gather.

Yeah the only cost I’m factoring is the loan, but even then that isn’t even 24k, less than half what the person was suggesting.
Original post by Joe2001
That was me, but there aren't really any degrees that match my desired onboard position.

There's nothing at all in the entertainment industry?
https://work.chron.com/cruise-director-job-description-19480.html
This website gives some degrees which can be useful
Sitting in a UCAS lesson and need to draft a personal statement.

This is urgent. What should I do? It isn't optional - they are making us write one irrespective of whether or not we go to uni.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001
Sitting in a UCAS lesson and need to draft a personal statement.

This is urgent. What should I do? It isn't optional - they are making us write one irrespective of whether or not we go to uni.

Start by writing about yourself.
Just think of your extra curricular activities paragraph and things you've done which make you a good person
Original post by AzureCeleste
Start by writing about yourself.
Just think of your extra curricular activities paragraph and things you've done which make you a good person

I have a few things but I've not been into much co-curricular stuff. I suppose something is better than nothing.
Original post by Joe2001
I have a few things but I've not been into much co-curricular stuff. I suppose something is better than nothing.

Just write about things you enjoy and try to relate it your dream course. Maybe what you want tot be when you’re older, how you have studied or read things related to them.
It's pointless going to uni if you're not interested in anything enough to study it. Don't go just because people are pressuring you or because it's seen as the done thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending