Do I need to declare alloy wheels to insurance?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
ryedjap
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Recently bought a VW Golf (Mk5), however, they have VW Golf GTI alloy wheels on them from a previous owner, I've done a lot of reading and I'm still getting mixed answers as to whether I need to declare these. If anyone could confirm that'd be great, thanks.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ryedjap)
Recently bought a VW Golf (Mk5), however, they have VW Golf GTI alloy wheels on them from a previous owner, I've done a lot of reading and I'm still getting mixed answers as to whether I need to declare these. If anyone could confirm that'd be great, thanks.
Of course, why wouldn't you?
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yes as they're aftermarket. If they come with the car from factory then usually no, that'd be what we call OEM.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yep, that’s something you need to declare.
Aaron702
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Technically, yes. However you're seriously unlikely to get pulled up on it if you make a claim.
ryedjap
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
thank you all. I was pretty sure I am but I asked because I've been told different.

What if I get third party and don't delcare? Surely it wouldn't matter then? clearly I'm clueless haha It's unfortunate I'm having to pay 20% more just because of some wheels which give no performance advantage at all.
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thank you all. I was pretty sure I am but I asked because I've been told different.

What if I get third party and don't delcare? Surely it wouldn't matter then? clearly I'm clueless haha It's unfortunate I'm having to pay 20% more just because of some wheels which give no performance advantage at all.
It's all about statistics.

Find some of the original wheels and put them one, then sell the others to recoup your costs. Problem solved.
Aaron702
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

If it's a 20% increase in cost I wouldn't declare it. I'm not trying to advocate insurance fraud but it's an extremely minor modification if you can even call it that.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nevershear)
Yes as they're aftermarket. If they come with the car from factory then usually no, that'd be what we call OEM.
It does not depend on whether they are factory-fitted or bought from the car manufacturer, but on whether they were standard for that model of car. If all cars of that model/trim level have them then they are standard and not to be declared. If they were an optional extra, no matter the source, then they are a modification and must be declared.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aaron702)
I'm not trying to advocate insurance fraud
That is odd, because that is what you just did.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

What you were told was completely wrong pal.

If you don’t declare those wheels, the insurance holds the right to invalidate your policy. Meaning if they find out when you have a crash, you’ll be driving without insurance.
MrCole&Co
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If you dont declare it then your insurance is technically void
Revolver72
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If it's a 20% increase in cost I wouldn't declare it.
->
I'm not trying to advocate insurance fraud
lawl.

If you have aftermarket alloys, and do not claim it, you are invalidating your insurance.

Car insurance classifies a modification as:
"A car modification is a change made to a vehicle so that it differs from the manufacturer’s original factory specification.
The changes can be made to improve performance, aesthetics, or be purely functional."

Part of this is down to statistics; including cars with modified wheels are more likely to be stolen or have wheels stolen, hence your premium is raised to reflect that.

If (and this does happen occasionally) the police stop you, if you are found to not have the modifications declared, you could see:
6 points
Fixed Fine
Vehicle Seizure, and having to pay the costs of the towing + storage charges.

I agree 20% sucks, but it's the law. Just declare it. Or get OEM alloys?
Aaron702
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Revolver72)
->

lawl.

If you have aftermarket alloys, and do not claim it, you are invalidating your insurance.

Car insurance classifies a modification as:
"A car modification is a change made to a vehicle so that it differs from the manufacturer’s original factory specification.
The changes can be made to improve performance, aesthetics, or be purely functional."

Part of this is down to statistics; including cars with modified wheels are more likely to be stolen or have wheels stolen, hence your premium is raised to reflect that.

If (and this does happen occasionally) the police stop you, if you are found to not have the modifications declared, you could see:
6 points
Fixed Fine
Vehicle Seizure, and having to pay the costs of the towing + storage charges.

I agree 20% sucks, but it's the law. Just declare it. Or get OEM alloys?
No police officer is going to notice that the alloys aren't stock. They aren't massive aftemarket boy racer wheels. They're simply from a different car. If you're following the law to the letter then yes, declare them, but realistically you're never going to get caught.
Revolver72
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If you're following the law to the letter then yes, declare them, but realistically you're never going to get caught.
So we agree!

It's OP prerogative, but the answer to their question 'do I have to declare it?' is unequivocally yes, legally. If they decide that the probability outweighs the risk, then that's their decision.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No police officer is going to notice that the alloys aren't stock. They aren't massive aftemarket boy racer wheels. They're simply from a different car. If you're following the law to the letter then yes, declare them, but realistically you're never going to get caught.
It's not the police, it's your insurer that will have a problem with it.You will have voided your insurance by failing to declare them. And *then* the police will get interested because you will have been driving without insurance...
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If they're a car enthusiast as well as a copper, you never know.

I've been pulled for having the Golf R LED tail lights on my TDI to check whether I'd declared them. It does happen.
MrCole&Co
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
If they're a car enthusiast as well as a copper, you never know.

I've been pulled for having the Golf R LED tail lights on my TDI to check whether I'd declared them. It does happen.
Whats your experience with that model, is it any good?
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MrCole&Co)
Whats your experience with that model, is it any good?
It's a Mk7, had some problems.. currently in a legal dispute with Volkswagen but I can't say any more.

Wouldn't recommend touching the VAG group at the moment.
MrCole&Co
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
It's a Mk7, had some problems.. currently in a legal dispute with Volkswagen but I can't say any more.

Wouldn't recommend touching the VAG group at the moment.
Oh jeez, hope it works out for you son.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (1)
3.13%
October 2021 (22)
68.75%
November 2021 (3)
9.38%
December 2021 (2)
6.25%
January 2021 (2)
6.25%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (1)
3.13%