The Student Room Group

Law, English and GDL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aliceaquaspirit
Thank you!!! So do you think getting a good grade in a English degree and doing a law conversion would be a good idea ?
My teachers said I could get into Oxbridge for English so maybe that would put me at an advantage idk ...

Yes, getting a good grade in an English degree and doing a law conversion would be a good idea. A significant proportion of those who secure training contracts and pupillage nowadays have done a non law degree first and converted, and English is a perfectly good choice in that respect. That is actually particularly so if you can get into Oxbridge for English, because whilst getting into Oxbridge isn't essential for a legal career, it is definitely something that you should be aiming for if you can.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Because whilst the degree itself may not directly lead to job opportunities, it can have other benefits in terms of developing associated skills. Also, a person who has a keen interest in a degree is, as Johan has already said, more likely to study it at a better university and get better grades, which going forwards will be of significant benefit.

Plus, to answer one of the OP's other points, the notion of having a 'detailed working knowledge' of the law following your degree is overrated. For a start, you don't really gain a 'working' knowledge of the law in a law degree because you learn very little to no procedure. And in reality, the vast majority of the substantive law that you will use in your practice as a solicitor or a barrister will be developed after your degree, and commonly whilst you're doing the job itself. If your best reason for doing a law degree over a degree that you will enjoy more is to obtain a 'detailed working knowledge' of the law, doing the degree you'll enjoy more is an absolute no brainer.

no jobs gain some skills doesnt justify the 50kk debt plus any overdrafts perhaps money owe to parents etc.
problem with law or law conversion is that chances are u wont get a contract cos so many grads vs jobs

if u look here - Number of law graduates soars while training contracts decrease: 5,001 training contracts were registered, a 6 per cent decreased from the previous year. compared to the 16,116 students who graduated with degrees in law (doesnt include the conversion folk). so whats that even against just law 31% chance you get a contract. so the sad truth is that despite putting 50k down + ur conversion course so we are taking 60k here + interest be not far off 80k and obv 4/5 yeas of your life. all for less than 1 in 3 chance perhaps down to 28 inlc the conversion ppl. cmon youd be a fkn maniac to take the bet
https://www.solicitorsjournal.com/news/management/education-and-training/22561/number-law-graduates-soars-while-training-contracts-dec

and when op doesnt get the training contract then what. like the earnings reported last week english ppl earn less than non grads. so after all that op will end up in either something totally diffrent field or some racket admin job. but shell probably go thru with it all then look back think that guy in dec 2018 was right i should have listened to him
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SJW-
no jobs gain some skills doesnt justify the 50kk debt plus any overdrafts perhaps money owe to parents etc.
problem with law or law conversion is that chances are u wont get a contract cos so many grads vs jobs

if u look here - Number of law graduates soars while training contracts decrease: 5,001 training contracts were registered, a 6 per cent decreased from the previous year. compared to the 16,116 students who graduated with degrees in law (doesnt include the conversion folk). so whats that even against just law 31% chance you get a contract. so the sad truth is that despite putting 50k down + ur conversion course so we are taking 60k here + interest be not far off 80k and obv 4/5 yeas of your life. all for less than 1 in 3 chance perhaps down to 28 inlc the conversion ppl. cmon youd be a fkn maniac to take the bet
https://www.solicitorsjournal.com/news/management/education-and-training/22561/number-law-graduates-soars-while-training-contracts-dec

and when op doesnt get the training contract then what. like the earnings reported last week english ppl earn less than non grads. so after all that op will end up in either something totally diffrent field or some racket admin job. but shell probably go thru with it all then look back think that guy in dec 2018 was right i should have listened to him

There is always a degree of risk when it comes to desirable graduate positions. That's true of law as it is with many other industries. The decision as to whether the risk is one that is worth taking is down to the individual. Given that the OP didn't ask about that, I assumed that they had already done their research in that respect. In any event your post just blanket warning people away from legal careers looks out of place.
There is always a degree of risk when it comes to desirable graduate positions. That's true of law as it is with many other industries. The decision as to whether the risk is one that is worth taking is down to the individual. Given that the OP didn't ask about that, I assumed that they had already done their research in that respect. In any event your post just blanket warning people away from legal careers looks out of place.

I'm aware that high paying jobs will be competitive but I am willing to work hard and my degree will prepare me to think analytically and help with the essays :smile:
Original post by aliceaquaspirit
So basically I like English a lot, completely in love with the subject and very good at it.
There are no jobs in English however so here are my options:

Law degree at uni - go straight into law for degree and have a detailed knowledge of it

English degree at uni and then law conversion - get to take an English degree which I love, then do a 3 year law conversion

Any opinions welcome, I need advice!!x

I know a lot of people who did a law degree and are not even working in law. So, if your justification for doing Law is that it leads to a direct career unlike English, then you are going to be very disappointed.

Also, it is a myth that there are no jobs in English. All Humanities degrees do not have a direct career path. Employers care less about your degree and more about what you can offer as a person. So, don’t pick a degree based on job prospects because at the end of the day it isn’t going to be your degree that gets you a job.

well actually i misread it as if she meant she would go straight into law after a law degree hence the warning she probably wont
that said its a good reminder for anyone asking a similar question before they go and make the mistake of going to uni not knowing they are chasing careers they'll never achieve wtih money they dont have. and who is picking up the bill when they cant pay it back well its the tax payer money which otherwise could have gone to nhs etc
So basically I LOVE english and I am very good at it - planning on going to Oxbridge to study it. I also want to do law but I really want to take an English degree at university.
Would it be a good idea to do an English degree at uni and then do a law conversion course? Or should I go straight into law or just stick with English.....?
You have already been given advice on this by a practising lawyer. Don't repeat threads and waste our time.
On the ****ing button.

And kudos to the mod who merged the threads.

Quick Reply

Latest