The Student Room Group

The Beginner's Guide to Politics

Hello and welcome to the Beginner's Guide to Politics!

This is a thread designed to give some basic, entry level information for someone who has absolutely no idea about politics. In this way, it is hoped that it can provide you with some answers to some of the more common political questions, and can therefore serve as a springboard into the world of politics. They are intended to be brief, and provide the key details necessary to form a simple understanding, enabling you to explore further.

Below you will find links to the various threads, organised by topic depending on what you're interested in. If you would like to have a question answered that isn't covered already, just post and we'll try to get a thread created about it :biggrin:

If you would like to assist in creating a thread for the guide, just let me know :smile:

Political parties
Labour
Conservatives
Liberal Democrats
Green
UKIP
SNP
DUP
Sinn Fein
Plaid Cymru

UK political system
What is Parliament and how does it work?
General elections and the voting system

Brexit
History of Brexit
What are the options for Brexit?

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
This is honestly brilliant as more young people need to get involved in politics, wherever they are in the political spectrum. Civil discourse can only be achieved if all have a basic understanding of UK politics. I hope TSR keep it on the "Today on TSR" for as long as possible.
Original post by Aloha1
This is honestly brilliant as more young people need to get involved in politics, wherever they are in the political spectrum. Civil discourse can only be achieved if all have a basic understanding of UK politics. I hope TSR keep it on the "Today on TSR" for as long as possible.

Thank you for the kind words! I fully agree that educating people early on can only serve our society well going forward when it comes to political discourse :smile:
I'm happy to contribute to the UKIP breakdown, as I have been studying the party in some depth and having interviewed prominent figures including their current leader Gerard Batten @MrDystopia
Reply 4
Democracy:
A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.
https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/democracy

Representative:

Typical of a class, group, or body of opinion.
I suspect this could use an update (or no longer being pinned) considering the party information is now two years out of date
Original post by Theloniouss
I suspect this could use an update (or no longer being pinned) considering the party information is now two years out of date

I can confirm that a review of this is now in the pipeline!
Reply 7
Remember: what political leaders say in time of need is often forgotten when the problem has gone

Ex-servicemen, in London, who were promised a "Land fit for Heroes", busk for pennies to survive.
FB_IMG_1633987286282.jpg

Latest