The Student Room Group

My Boyfriend's mum doesn't think we belong...

So my boyfriend's parents live like 2 hours away from me and him (we don't live together) so we only go and see them every so often and we will stay at their house. I have met both his mum and dad like 4 times, and we went down to see them this weekend and we went to some festival and had a great time with him and his parents; but after on Sunday when we were going, his mum called him and they spoke while I was upstairs packing and when we were on the drive back my boyfriend seemed really upset so I asked him what was wrong and he said that his mum told him me and him don’t suit because I’m to “quite” bare in mind I have anxiety so its hard to talk to them due to me not knowing what to talk about etc. So he told her to **** off before we left.

When we got home he rang her and asked why she said that and she said it was because I don’t help out in the house, I don’t go university, I don’t have a job currently and that it seems like me and my boyfriend aren’t happy.

I feel like confronting her because of I'm really annoyed about what she said. I mean me and my boyfriend are happy, I don’t help out in the house as its massive and I don’t want to break anything and I don’t know where anything is and I don’t have a job currently because of I'm at college.

I don’t know what to do because shes annoyed my mum and me and I feel like saying something to her as she's coming down next week. (p.s. shes really posh, if that helps too)

Scroll to see replies

Ehhh- I was expecting her to say something genuine based on some sort of personality mismatch.

It appears there is less of an issue between you and your boyfriend and more between you and his mum. The likelihood is that her issue is more to do with class, money and other more superficial aspects. I assume she looks down on you for not having a job and Uni education ( I am assuming you are old enough to go Uni but are instead still at college doing A-levels/BTEC--> Correct me if I am wrong).

Confront her innit. Phish out what the real issue is.
Original post by chloenm
So my boyfriend's parents live like 2 hours away from me and him (we don't live together) so we only go and see them every so often and we will stay at their house. I have met both his mum and dad like 4 times, and we went down to see them this weekend and we went to some festival and had a great time with him and his parents; but after on Sunday when we were going, his mum called him and they spoke while I was upstairs packing and when we were on the drive back my boyfriend seemed really upset so I asked him what was wrong and he said that his mum told him me and him don’t suit because I’m to “quite” bare in mind I have anxiety so its hard to talk to them due to me not knowing what to talk about etc. So he told her to **** off before we left.

When we got home he rang her and asked why she said that and she said it was because I don’t help out in the house, I don’t go university, I don’t have a job currently and that it seems like me and my boyfriend aren’t happy.

I feel like confronting her because of I'm really annoyed about what she said. I mean me and my boyfriend are happy, I don’t help out in the house as its massive and I don’t want to break anything and I don’t know where anything is and I don’t have a job currently because of I'm at college.

I don’t know what to do because shes annoyed my mum and me and I feel like saying something to her as she's coming down next week. (p.s. shes really posh, if that helps too)

That sucks. I understand the whole ‘quiet’ thing myself. It seems that because she’s ‘posh’ she’s kind of looking down of you - you don’t need to go to university or anything to do good in life!

Your boyfriend seems nice that he stood up for you against his mum, he seems like a fighter. You could maybe tell your boyfriend about your anxiety so he could tell his mum? I hope you sort it out x
Reply 3
Original post by Kilam_Namoan
Ehhh- I was expecting her to say something genuine based on some sort of personality mismatch.

It appears there is less of an issue between you and your boyfriend and more between you and his mum. The likelihood is that her issue is more to do with class, money and other more superficial aspects. I assume she looks down on you for not having a job and Uni education ( I am assuming you are old enough to go Uni but are instead still at college doing A-levels/BTEC--> Correct me if I am wrong).

Confront her innit. Phish out what the real issue is.

hi,
I am the right age to go uni, I just don’t have the right grades to go and I am thinking of going she did say that I would be nice for me to go because then me and my boyfriend would have the same experience intellectually as he is in his last year at uni. which is sooooo wrong of her to say!

Reply 4
Original post by abbeyxo
That sucks. I understand the whole ‘quiet’ thing myself. It seems that because she’s ‘posh’ she’s kind of looking down of you - you don’t need to go to university or anything to do good in life!

Your boyfriend seems nice that he stood up for you against his mum, he seems like a fighter. You could maybe tell your boyfriend about your anxiety so he could tell his mum? I hope you sort it out x

Yeah im happy he did tell her to **** off, she did say that it would be nice if I do go uni because then me and my boyfriend would have the same experience intellectually as he is in his last year at uni
Reply 5
Original post by abbeyxo

i just don't know if to say something to her about what she as said that's all
Original post by chloenm
Yeah im happy he did tell her to **** off, she did say that it would be nice if I do go uni because then me and my boyfriend would have the same experience intellectually as he is in his last year at uni

Don’t listen to her, if you don’t want to go then it’s not up to anybody else :smile:
Original post by chloenm
.i just don't know if to say something to her about what she as said that's all

If you tell her, she may start to understand and not say such horrible things about you. If she doesn’t understand then just just a cruel person and you shouldn’t listen to her x
Original post by chloenm
[ul]
[li]hi,
I am the right age to go uni, I just don’t have the right grades to go and I am thinking of going she did say that I would be nice for me to go because then me and my boyfriend would have the same experience intellectually as he is in his last year at uni. which is sooooo wrong of her to say![/li]
[/ul]

Lmao- £9,250 in debt for no reason other than experience. What a load of hogwash!
University degrees are so ****ing overrated it's mind-boggling- Even Lord Sugar has said it.
Fact is- Uni is only if you are genuinely interested in a subject, and if you want to go down a science-based or professional career (e.g Law). However a lot of apprenticeships are available (that offer a degree as well). Deffo not a thing for intellectuality.

The mother is obviously stuck up. However- be careful. You don;t really want to be the reason by ur bf has to make a choice between you and his mother. Try to calm down your bf and ask him to apologise to his mum. No need to tell his own mother to **** off.

Approach the issue more carefully and tactfully.
Reply 9
Original post by abbeyxo
If you tell her, she may start to understand and not say such horrible things about you. If she doesn’t understand then just just a cruel person and you shouldn’t listen to her x

yeah ill try tell her my side of the story, thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by Kilam_Namoan
Lmao- £9,250 in debt for no reason other than experience. What a load of hogwash!
University degrees are so ****ing overrated it's mind-boggling- Even Lord Sugar has said it.
Fact is- Uni is only if you are genuinely interested in a subject, and if you want to go down a science-based or professional career (e.g Law). However a lot of apprenticeships are available (that offer a degree as well). Deffo not a thing for intellectuality.

The mother is obviously stuck up. However- be careful. You don;t really want to be the reason by ur bf has to make a choice between you and his mother. Try to calm down your bf and ask him to apologise to his mum. No need to tell his own mother to **** off.

Approach the issue more carefully and tactfully.

He just got pissed off because she has no right to say what she said and she always gets involved in his life.
Original post by chloenm
He just got pissed off because she has no right to say what she said and she always gets involved in his life.

I think the mother's intentions are genuine and noble in nature. The heart is definitely in the right place. A slightly controlling mum i guess.

However- she is deffo whack outta control. Yet she is still his mother at the end of the day. The smoothest path is the best one. Definitely confront her- but don't be aggressive and emotional- be eloquent.

The issue is very tricky and complex to deal with. I know this couple; and basically for the husband's family disagreed with his choice for a wife. He had a massive fight with them, got married anyways, and never really looked back. She also kinda egged him on against his own family.
Now the same couple is having issues and the husband often brings up how she's the reason why he lost his parents- and this sentiment is probably gonna lead to their divorce.

So again- be careful and tactful; short term and long term.
Original post by chloenm

I'm probably not the best to give advise but I would say talk to her. But try to be really understanding but still stand up for yourself and don't get annoyed/make excuses and whine about it etc because that will just confirm to her that you are immature. Hope that helps.
Wow what a snob. Unless my child's partner treated them badly I wouldn't dream of commenting on their relationship in a negative way or saying they weren't suited when I barely know them. Sounds like his mum is one of these people who feels the need to broadcast her opinion even when it's not really wanted. But remember it's just her opinion, it's not right or wrong, it's just how she feels however misguided it may be. I think it's best to take it on the chin, don't let it affect you - the longer you stay with your boyfriend, the more proof you have that you are compatible and are happy as couple. Over time you will prove her wrong and then she'll end up looking like an idiot.
(edited 5 years ago)
She only sees you every so often, so she doesn't know enough about your relationship to make judgements on it.

I have anxiety too, and really struggle meeting new people, and to be honest I struggle with a lot of my boyfriend's family too because I also seem quiet (to the point of seeming rude as I don't converse etc.. I just can't). However over time things have got easier with his parents, and I can talk to them now if we go round to theirs. The only times I struggle now is when we turn up and his siblings are there, are I don't know them well yet so I just go right back into my shell.

The joys of anxiety, eh.

It sounds like your boyfriend is very much going to stand up for you though, which is good. Try to encourage him not to fall out with his mum over it - in-law relationships are often strained, it's not uncommon - and just carry on doing what you're doing. Be happy with your boyfriend, and just be polite when you see his parents. Maybe talk to him to find out what they're into, so you can at least find little conversation starters for when you need go. Coming out of your shell is so hard but if they give you a chance, you'll gradually become more comfortable with them.
Reply 15
Original post by bones-mccoy
Wow what a snob. Unless my child's partner treated them badly I wouldn't dream of commenting on their relationship in a negative way or saying they weren't suited when I barely know them. Sounds like his mum is one of these people who feels the need to broadcast her opinion even when it's not really wanted. But remember it's just her opinion, it's not right or wrong, it's just how she feels however misguided it may be. I think it's best to take it on the chin, don't let it affect you - the longer you stay with your boyfriend, the more proof you have that you are compatible and are happy as couple. Over time you will prove her wrong and then she'll end up looking like an idiot.

im just annoyed how she barely knows me and shes said we dont belong...
Reply 16
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
She only sees you every so often, so she doesn't know enough about your relationship to make judgements on it.

I have anxiety too, and really struggle meeting new people, and to be honest I struggle with a lot of my boyfriend's family too because I also seem quiet (to the point of seeming rude as I don't converse etc.. I just can't). However over time things have got easier with his parents, and I can talk to them now if we go round to theirs. The only times I struggle now is when we turn up and his siblings are there, are I don't know them well yet so I just go right back into my shell.

The joys of anxiety, eh.

It sounds like your boyfriend is very much going to stand up for you though, which is good. Try to encourage him not to fall out with his mum over it - in-law relationships are often strained, it's not uncommon - and just carry on doing what you're doing. Be happy with your boyfriend, and just be polite when you see his parents. Maybe talk to him to find out what they're into, so you can at least find little conversation starters for when you need go. Coming out of your shell is so hard but if they give you a chance, you'll gradually become more comfortable with them.

hopefully, i do come out of my shell. i mean i do talk to them when they ask me questions etc but i dont make conversation. I'm just sorta annoyed how she barely knows me and said what she said.
It's important to look at how he reacts to this. My ex was the same and he couldn't stand up to his mum despite agreeing with me, you need someone who is going to be strong for you.
At least you don't need to put up with her next week anyway :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by chloenm

He's her son. She's not going to think you or any other girl is good enough for him, I know lots of mothers like that. It's a shame your boyfriend repeated the conversation to you - she shouldn't have said it to him but he shouldn't have repeated something that is going to hurt you and will make it harder for you to develop a decent relationship with her. You sound very committed to your relationship, but to her your boyfriend is still a young man who may have many more girlfriends before he settles down.

Dealing with anxiety is awful and is going to make you seem quiet. Has your boyfriend explained that to them? You said you had a great time with them so they must have gone to some effort to make you feel at home. A guest who doesn't talk and doesn't help out can come across as aloof and disinterested and you might (unintentionally) have seemed like this to them. I don't want to sound like I'm criticising because getting to know "in-laws" is very stressful, but I would be irritated if my children's partner didn't offer to help - helping with the dishes after a meal, or stripping the bed before you leave doesn't take much doing.

Get your boyfriend to have a calm word with his mum and try to forget she ever said anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending