The Student Room Group

Is being depressed an excuse for treating someone badly?

What do you think? Is it ever excusable?
Original post by Anonymous

It isn’t excusable, but it might be understandable. Depression can change the way a person perceives a situation and how they react to them. When I’m not so good, I tend to keep myself to myself with family because interaction can be difficult.
Reply 2
no.

firstly i'm assuming you mean clinical depression and not 'feeling depressed' because the latter is common sadness. as someone who's struggled with depression and other mh issues for years, i know i've treated some of my close friends poorly, because depression causes you to isolate yourself. but i do not think it's an excuse. i don't get special privilege or 'get out of jail' card just because i'm depressed. i own up to my mistakes. so why do you ask OP?
(edited 5 years ago)
It is not an excuse. But it is understandable. I know without a doubt I haven't treated people right due to it.

It's an explanation for why it is happening but not an excuse
No I don't think it is. It's understandable but not excusable. Depression doesn't mean you have to treat people badly and treating people badly is an unhealthy coping mechanism for people with depression. If you treat people badly, they will eventually leave you thus re affirming the belief that many depressed people have that no one cares about them.
Yes. It's not 'nice' or 'correct' but of course it's an excuse. Depression alters the way a person's brain functions... I'd be far more inclined to forgive poor treatment from someone with depression than someone without it.
It's not an excuse, but having a diagnosis is useful as it at least helps you get insights into any behaviour that is out of character for you. If you feel you can explain to loved ones what you're going through, they may be able to be a little more lenient towards you. Although it isn't an excuse at all, we all have to accept that there are reasons that people's behaviour might change in ways we don't particularly like. Tolerance is so important, and this is something we could learn for many situations.. that's not to say you should accept being treated like crap by people who refuse to seek help though, as you need to look after yourself too.
Yes. It's not 'nice' or 'correct' but of course it's an excuse. Depression alters the way a person's brain functions... I'd be far more inclined to forgive poor treatment from someone with depression than someone without it.

that is a very dangerous assumption. Being depressed isn't a causal factor for immoral behaviour. It alters the brains functioning but not in the way that taints morality/moral behaviour. That is plain wrong. IMO - you may be more inclined to negative behaviour, but then acting in such a way should always come with apology rather than excusing such actions. That sort of thinking is harmful to say the least
I know I've treated people badly in the past due to mental health problems and I wouldn't say it's ever okay. It's an explanation or an insight into someone's behaviour rather than them being deliberately hurtful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending