The Student Room Group

I just can’t go back to sixth form

I just feel like I can’t go back. I’m in Y13, doing subjects forced upon me by my parents and I only enjoy two of my lessons per week. I feel so judged, I’ve lost all motivation to do anything, I’m behind in schoolwork, I just don’t see the point in it. I have anxiety and depression and really cannot stand the idea of returning, hating my life for the next however many months, continuing on like that.
what subjects do you study? keep working hard it will be worth it
Original post by ynlyndys
I just feel like I can’t go back. I’m in Y13, doing subjects forced upon me by my parents and I only enjoy two of my lessons per week. I feel so judged, I’ve lost all motivation to do anything, I’m behind in schoolwork, I just don’t see the point in it. I have anxiety and depression and really cannot stand the idea of returning, hating my life for the next however many months, continuing on like that.

You need to talk to your parents or school.
You should also see your GP to investigate whether they can help you with your anxiety and depression.

If youve decided school isnt for you, then you can try college, online study or more likely go and get an apprenticeship.
You still have to stay in education or training till 18 and then you can do what you like.
Mental health is 100% the priority. Are you getting treatment, a diagnosis? Others being aware could help you so much if they are not already. Also self-care making sure the work/life balance is right to prevent extreme stress.
In regards to staying at sixth form it's tough because on one hand you only have a few months left of it but on the other hand if you are not happy that can make it feel not worth it at all. I would reccommend speaking to someone and seeing your options, do you plan on going to uni? Maybe dropping a subject would help. October half term also could be a good chance for you to create a bit more order.
Always here if you need to talk and good luck :smile:
Just work hard dude, I did subjects that my parents forced me to do as a result I only got Cs and Be but I stuck with it and didn't quit.
Original post by ynlyndys

I'm not sure how much insight I can offer you but during year 12 (2016-17) I hated school and was too anxious to leave my house, I genuienly felt miserable no matter how much I tried to be positive. It started to affect my mock exams, attendance and performance and I knew that the grammar school I'd been going to wouldn't be lenient and I felt I wasn't ready in my current state to apply for uni in 2017. So I decided to retake at a college with subjects I want to do, and am now applying for uni. I was scared at first but now I dom't regret a thing, because I managed to take time out for myself and it worked. But your situation may be different and staying while talking to your parents may work better. Whatever works better for you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Just work hard dude, I did subjects that my parents forced me to do as a result I only got Cs and Be but I stuck with it and didn't quit.

Stick with it
I also encourage you to speak with your parents or a counselor or trusted adult at your school. What subjects do you like?
Also, it may be worthwhile to discuss the possibility of going to see your GP to help manage your symptoms.
Maybe some of these articles will be helpful? https://list.ly/list/1CE4-looking-up-from-the-stubborn-darkness

Quick Reply

Latest