Will I be able to send/show unis an online portfolio of programming projects?

Watch
Seril
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I want to apply to study Computer Science when it's time to apply to uni. The reason I'm thinking about my application now is that I thought it might be beneficial to write some programs over the next couple of years, and create a sort of online portfolio to show my interest in the subject. However, I was just wondering whether I would actually be able to show this to unis or if it would be a waste of time? Has anyone applying for Computer Science done similar?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Seril)
I want to apply to study Computer Science when it's time to apply to uni. The reason I'm thinking about my application now is that I thought it might be beneficial to write some programs over the next couple of years, and create a sort of online portfolio to show my interest in the subject. However, I was just wondering whether I would actually be able to show this to unis or if it would be a waste of time? Has anyone applying for Computer Science done similar?
Its a very good idea as well as for jobs.

If they require an interview, then you can show them in person, bit of its just via ucas then you can make your work available via a website
and url so they can look if interested. If your work is good and displayed well , then I think youd be on for a winner.
If the uni is one you are really keen on then just contact the department for guidance and preference.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
As per 999tigger 's answer, it's never a bad thing to work on your own projects - you can potentially learn a huge amount in your own time by sitting down and working on some personal projects for getting practice with programming languages and related tools/frameworks.

You could consider creating an account on GitHub or Bitbucket and using this to host your source code (If you're unfamiliar with "Git", then this is a great opportunity to learn). Git is an extremely useful and popular tool for storing source code - a lot of businesses use it for managing their code, but it's also a useful tool to have at your disposal if you're going to be studying computing/compsci at college or university too so that you can store your coursework in a repository.

You might want a private repository for assessed coursework though, GitHub repositories are public by default, but you can get private repositories for free from bitbucket
Seril
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Its a very good idea as well as for jobs.

If they require an interview, then you can show them in person, bit of its just via ucas then you can make your work available via a website
and url so they can look if interested. If your work is good and displayed well , then I think youd be on for a winner.
If the uni is one you are really keen on then just contact the department for guidance and preference.
(Original post by winterscoming)
As per 999tigger 's answer, it's never a bad thing to work on your own projects - you can potentially learn a huge amount in your own time by sitting down and working on some personal projects for getting practice with programming languages and related tools/frameworks.

You could consider creating an account on GitHub or Bitbucket and using this to host your source code (If you're unfamiliar with "Git", then this is a great opportunity to learn). Git is an extremely useful and popular tool for storing source code - a lot of businesses use it for managing their code, but it's also a useful tool to have at your disposal if you're going to be studying computing/compsci at college or university too so that you can store your coursework in a repository.

You might want a private repository for assessed coursework though, GitHub repositories are public by default, but you can get private repositories for free from bitbucket
Thank you! I'll have a look into getting a GitHub or Bitbucket, and hopefully I'll have a lot to show on there by the time I apply to uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads