The Student Room Group

Forced to stay in the NHS after medicine?

Hi!

I'm looking at doing graduate entry medicine in 2020, afterwards I will be moving to the USA to practice medicine (I'm aware of this process, I am entitled to an American visa through family).

I remember a few years ago the proposal to force those who had funding from the NHS to stay in the UK to work for 4 years, did this end up actually coming into effect? I remember their being crazy strikes over it and I can't seem to find a definitive answer on google.

Thanks for any help!
MM

Scroll to see replies

Good to see we are training the right sort of people.
Original post by 999tigger

In my first year of practice in the USA i intend to fully pay back any finance I have recieved from the UK. I also didn't say I'dbe moving directly after my degree with no contribution to NHS. Simply wanted to know if it was compulsory or not. So yeah, shove your assumptions where the sun doesn't shine matey
Original post by TheMusicalMedic
In my first year of practice in the USA i intend to fully pay back any finance I have recieved from the UK. I also didn't say I'dbe moving directly after my degree with no contribution to NHS. Simply wanted to know if it was compulsory or not. So yeah, shove your assumptions where the sun doesn't shine matey

Wishing you all the best for the future.
Manners don't need to be maintained to those that are themselves making snide comments, however if this was not @999tigger intention I wholeheartedly take back my comment and apologise (Y)
Original post by 999tigger

Please don't degrade lower skilled workers!
Let me explain myself a little better, granted I didn’t in the OP.

I married an American, hence I will be able to get a visa fairly easily. In a marriage compromise needs to happen, so we plan to live in the US for a while so we can be near her family.

We plan to return to the UK at a later date where I will definitely be working in the NHS if they’ll have me.

Many UK doctors move to the USA for a cash grab, not the case here which is why I want to at least make sure all of my debt is cleared.

If I married a British girl, I would spend my entire career in the NHS.
Reply 7
The strikes were about compulsory service to the NHS?! :lolwut:
Ah, it's one of those threads - applicants sniping at other applicants in the Current Medical Students and Doctors forum (the clue is literally in the name).

Anyway, OP: those plans have been shelved for the time being as far as I'm aware. It's certainly not current policy.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practice/practice-topics/education/dh-shelves-plans-to-handcuff-uk-trained-doctors-to-nhs-for-four-years/20034984.article
Hi!

I'm looking at doing graduate entry medicine in 2020, afterwards I will be moving to the USA to practice medicine (I'm aware of this process, I am entitled to an American visa through family).

I remember a few years ago the proposal to force those who had funding from the NHS to stay in the UK to work for 4 years, did this end up actually coming into effect? I remember their being crazy strikes over it and I can't seem to find a definitive answer on google.

Thanks for any help!
MM

This got as far as public consultation but has gone quiet. For now anyway. It would be announced fairly publicly if it were coming back, one would assume.

The strikes were over the new doctor's contract not med school admissions.

Original post by Zorg
The strikes were about compulsory service to the NHS?! :lolwut:

No, but this plan was announced was almost immediately afterwards so I understand the confusion.
Sorry, got confused with the strikes! It was a few years ago and I wasn't following it closely then, didn't discover I wanted to do this until fairly recently!
Original post by Democracy
Ah, it's one of those threads - applicants sniping at other applicants in the Current Medical Students and Doctors forum (the clue is literally in the name).

Anyway, OP: those plans have been shelved for the time being as far as I'm aware. It's certainly not current policy.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practice/practice-topics/education/dh-shelves-plans-to-handcuff-uk-trained-doctors-to-nhs-for-four-years/20034984.article

Yeah sorry for posting in here, just thought the people in this forum are gonna be the ones that know for sure 😊
Lmao @ being upset because someone doesn't want to do indentured servitude in the UK and would rather use their degree and training to work elsewhere.

Doctors should not be expected to sacrifice their goals, hopes, families and aspirations because there's some strange.idea that we owe something to the NHS.
Reply 13

I fully understand people who want to move abroad after graduation (I myself might do that), but just wanted to point out that educating doctors costs the NHS way more than any tuition fees/loan/bursaries etc. that you might pay back :P
Original post by Nottie
I fully understand people who want to move abroad after graduation (I myself might do that), but just wanted to point out that educating doctors costs the NHS way more than any tuition fees/loan/bursaries etc. that you might pay back :P

Yeah I understand that too, but I’m not the one who decides how much to charge us so 🤗 Just trying to give back as much as I can given my situation 😃
slightly unrelated question but is it true that u have to undergo a 2 year program in order to qualify to work in the US if u have a degree from the UK? (in medicine and dentistry)
Yeah I understand that too, but I’m not the one who decides how much to charge us so 🤗 Just trying to give back as much as I can given my situation 😃

Might be worth staying to complete your FY1 year to get your full registration. Makes things a lot easier if you decide to come back (though I'm not entirely sure why you would, but you never know - family etc!)
Original post by Brachioradialis
Might be worth staying to complete your FY1 year to get your full registration. Makes things a lot easier if you decide to come back (though I'm not entirely sure why you would, but you never know - family etc!)

definitely considering doing FY1, the way I look at it is its just like doing UG medicine in terms of time so its probably a good plan.

Theres no place like home, at least for me lol 😀
Original post by bestgtg
slightly unrelated question but is it true that u have to undergo a 2 year program in order to qualify to work in the US if u have a degree from the UK? (in medicine and dentistry)

Its the USMLE exams they want you to take, and then somehow finding US clinical experience. I’m pretty sure thats all there is, I haven’t heard of a set course for it though I could be wrong
Let me explain myself a little better, granted I didn’t in the OP.

I married an American, hence I will be able to get a visa fairly easily. In a marriage compromise needs to happen, so we plan to live in the US for a while so we can be near her family.

We plan to return to the UK at a later date where I will definitely be working in the NHS if they’ll have me.

Many UK doctors move to the USA for a cash grab, not the case here which is why I want to at least make sure all of my debt is cleared.

If I married a British girl, I would spend my entire career in the NHS.

Tell your wife to life in the uk with u .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending