The Student Room Group

Which requires more intelligence: Criminal Lawyer vs. Astrophysicist?

Which one would you think is the most intelligent?

A Criminal Lawyer or an Astrophysicist?
Reply 1
Original post by mariejoy1996

Probably the latter. It requires greater intelligence.
Reply 2
Neither. They both require intelligence, just of different kinds.
Reply 3

Intelligence isn’t something u can’t measure. These 2 careers are completely different and require different skills. For example Astrophysicist requires problem solving and high amount of maths skills

Both require high intelligence; I would imagine that criminal law loads heavily on verbal intelligence and astrophysics loads heavily on spatial intelligence
(Original post by Drewski)Neither. They both require intelligence, just of different kinds.

I know they both require different forms of thinking but overall there is still a big difference in the level of intelligence between the two.

For example Law is majority of the time memorisation and implementing the knowledge you know. Astrophysics is a whole new level of intelligence. Anyone can become a lawyer with effort but only exceptionally bright people can become physicists.
Reply 6
(Original post by Drewski)Neither. They both require intelligence, just of different kinds.

I know they both require different forms of thinking but overall there is still a big difference in the level of intelligence between the two.

For example Law is majority of the time memorisation and implementing the knowledge you know. Astrophysics is a whole new level of intelligence. Anyone can become a lawyer with effort but only exceptionally bright people can become physicists.

Not really. Anybody can become either.

And to be the best at either you need to be highly intelligent. But at different things.
Original post by Drewski
Not really. Anybody can become either.

And to be the best at either you need to be highly intelligent. But at different things.

If anybody can be either then why do so many people drop out of physics courses because of the difficulty whereas law degrees have a higher success rate.
Reply 8
If anybody can be either then why do so many people drop out of physics courses because of the difficulty whereas law degrees have a higher success rate.

Perhaps some law courses are too easy and let anyone pass...

You're clearly looking at it from a biased viewpoint.

You're wrong about this.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/which-universities-have-the-highest-first-year-dropout-rates

As the above posts have said, they both require different types of intelligence. And for what it's worth, drop out rate really has much more to do with the work required/asked of the student as well as subjective factors rather than the specific level of intelligence required from a student to do that course.
Reply 10

This is a slightly different question than the one you asked in the OP. The relative difficulty of the degrees isn't necessarily the point. A law degree covers much more than just criminal law, which is generally one of the easiest modules on a law degree. It is relatively easy to pass a law degree, but very difficult to get a first.

As a career, being a criminal solicitor specifically requires a different skill set than astrophysics, but to be competent it doesn't require anything greater than average intelligence. Different areas of law, however, are more competitive and challenging.

You are clearly biased and fail to understand the difference between the two.
There is a world of difference between becoming a lawyer and a good one.
Neither of them would be able to do each other job.

Is there a real point to your biased thread? You should have come clean from the start and just made your point.
Original post by 999tigger
You are clearly biased and fail to understand the difference between the two.
There is a world of difference between becoming a lawyer and a good one.
Neither of them would be able to do each other job.

Is there a real point to your biased thread? You should have come clean from the start and just made your point.

I guess I did forget to mention MY PERSONAL OPINION but I really was interested in seeing what other people think.

I myself have a physics degree, my father is a professor of Astrophysics and my uncle is also a Law professor.

The amount of times my uncle has stated that he has come across hundreds of idiot students who JUST manage to scrape by and get a law degree is hilarious. I mean I literally know people who have degrees (PhD too) in Law and are as dumb as bricks.

The difference between the two types of intelligence is that you will find most physicists were born gifted with a logical mind and could most easily obtain a law degree if they tried.

On the other hand someone with average intelligence can get a degree, masters PhD in Law with enough study and endurance BUT most Lawyers wouldn’t even be able to dream of doing day-to-day tasks of an Astrophysicist.
I’m actually very surprised to see how many of these answers think that “Criminal Law” is even on the same level as a “Physicists”

:confused:
@mariejoy1996
if you've already decided that the answer is Astrophysicists, then why did you start this thread? Was it just to slate other people and their opinions? Usually by asking such a question you don't know the answer, and want other people's opinions to help you decide, but here you're just being rude about other people's opinions
I’m actually very surprised to see how many of these answers think that “Criminal Law” is even on the same level as a “Physicists”

:confused:

No, it's not 'on the same level'. It's a different skillset. Which is what everyone has been saying.

Using your argument, if law doesn't require any innate creativity and is simply learning and memorising, then surely anyone could become a professional footballer. I mean, it's just running around and kicking a ball, isn't it, which anyone can do?
Do you ever just look at threads and think 'god you're a bit of a nob'?

Oh no. That's chance of becoming an astrophysicist gone. :frown: :rofl:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending