maniccrammer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What methods are effective in revising history GCSE? At the moment I'm just condensing and rewriting notes but I need to be a bit more varied, there's just so much content I'm not sure the best way to create revision resources. Any help appreciated
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Toastiekid and troubletracking either of you have any advice?
moving this to history
Toastiekid
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maniccrammer)
What methods are effective in revising history GCSE? At the moment I'm just condensing and rewriting notes but I need to be a bit more varied, there's just so much content I'm not sure the best way to create revision resources. Any help appreciated
I would definitely practice answering questions even if you just bullet point answers
Idk about you but I did the history of medicine for one of my topics and in that there were four time periods (medieval, renaissance etc) so I learnt about three key individuals and three key events for each time period looking at the causation/effects etc of what they/the event did. This was mainly because I was running out of time and didn’t want to memorise the entire course
Hope this helps:hugs: if you’ve got any other questions then let me know (I was edexcel history)
troubletracking
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did edexcel history (American West, Medicine Through Time, Henry VIII and Weimar Germany) and my revision was split into three sections: mindmaps, flashcards, and practice questions (although not very many of the latter I must admit)
Mindmaps were my absolute lifesaver, and I literally did tonnes of A3 mindmaps and stuck them on my walls afterwards. I found these very helpful because I learn by writing things down, so I'd pick a topic (so maybe Wolsey's failures) and then split that into different sections (failure to annul Henry's wedding to Catherine, foreign policy failures etc) with information about each topic around each one, which was a combination of the revision guide and my own notes, reworded and paraphrased. What would've been even more useful if I used the mindmap as a sort of giant flashcard and tried to learn all the information from it, but lmao I never did that because I honestly couldn't be bothered
I used flashcards quite a bit too, as I had ones with all the dates from each unit (colour coded for medicine), and then bigger ones with actual info on the back, which were basically just condensed versions for the mindmaps. If you think about it this way, you have your notes which are the most detailed, then you condense it down into mindmaps, before getting only the core details on flashcards. flashcards are great cos you can take them pretty much anywhere, and if you do them on quizlet, then you'll probably always have them with you because dunno bout you but I literally never leave the house without my phone
Arguably the most important factor of history revision is the essay practice, because your exam technique is absolutely key. We got given a big ass booklet with loads of questions in to try, and I aimed to do a few every week (didn't always happen lol), because the more you've written, the more likely you'll get a question in the exam you've actually done before. do try and make sure you actually get these marked and ask for feedback as to where you can improve, and you can always make essay plans where you just write the point you would write about if you were to write the essay if you're short on time.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?