Pregnant and due during A level exams Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone,

So my girlfriend and I have just found that she is 3 months pregnant. Whilst really happy about it, she is not sure what happens when it comes to A level exams. She would potentially be due on the day of her exams.
Does anyone know if exams can be postponed or if there is any other alternative?
She plans to take a gap year after exams and then go to uni.

Thanks in advance
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey everyone,

So my girlfriend and I have just found that she is 3 months pregnant. Whilst really happy about it, she is not sure what happens when it comes to A level exams. She would potentially be due on the day of her exams.
Does anyone know if exams can be postponed or if there is any other alternative?

Thanks in advance
Congratulations! :party:

But they can't really be postponed no. By a few hours, yes, but that's not going to help in your (or rather, her) situation.

Tagging Compost for thoughts
12aissid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
She should talk to her school and ask if they can arrange for her to either take the exams in October or earlier. The school also need to be aware as a health and safety issue and also in case she needs to take time off close to the exams in the later stages of pregnancy. That way they can make arrangements if she misses any lessons.
12aissid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay scratch that I just realised that’s not possible with Linear A level. She would have to retake her exams the following summer. But she should still talk to the school.
kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
oh my god congrats!!!

if you're worried in terms of exams speak to whoever is in charge of your exams at school,like the head of year or anyone else... who might give guidance on what to do
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance
Exams can be taken in hospital if necessary but your girlfriend wouldn't want to be taking an exam whilst actually giving birth!
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Speak to the exams officer at your school who can give her advice as to what to do.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Exams can be taken in hospital if necessary but your girlfriend wouldn't want to be taking an exam whilst actually giving birth!
That'd be pretty cool. If you don't know an answer just ask your baby!
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If she's 3 months pregnant then she's likely due end of April/early May so she will probably give birth before exams start, however understandably it would be difficult to take exams so soon after having a baby.

See your doctor / midwife to find out when she's actually due and then you can make a plan with the school.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Timing for this is going to be crucial so she's not really going to know what needs to be put in place until each day passes and she has/ hasn't given birth.

Pregnancy itself is not a reason for special consideration, but the effects of it (e.g. morning sickness, giving birth, hormones and lack of sleep with a tiny baby) can be. If she's taking exams heavily pregnant then she should put in for special consideration - it will probably only be a 2% uplift but still worth it. If she misses an exam owing to the birth then that will be a good enough reason for the grade to be based on the other units - but she would have to turn up to something for every subject for this to be possible. They don't award grades if you don't take any exams (unless you're dead). How long after the birth this can continue to be a legitimate reason depends on the birth experience and will have to be a matter of judgement - exam boards will not give you a definite answer until after it is too late to take the exam so there is a risk involved.

It might also be worth her asking for a room on her own if she's still pregnant (she'll be moving around constantly in her attempt to find a comfortable position and so disruptive to other students) or breastfeeding. Exams have to be started within an hour of the official start time (0900 and 1330) (or the candidate needs to be under supervision) unless exam board permission is gained

If she has any NEA (coursework) then she needs to put maximum effort in to it - it will be used to help calculate what she gets for any exams she misses.
Hi_YouAlright?
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
when A-levels become AAAAAAARRGH-levels
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
My friend had a baby during her GCSE exams, and managed to come out with all passes (I'm pretty sure she just missed out on one exam since she was, yknow, giving birth). Obviously being due in exam time is stressful but you can work your way around it

The school and exam board organised this set up:
1.She would stay at home for all of her exams
2.The examiner would go to her house with the exam
3.Under examination conditions, she would do her exam in her kitchen, with the examiner watching her, and anything that would increase her risk of cheating were pretty much removed from the room.
4. The examiner would leave with the papers sealed and returned to the school as soon as the exam was over.

Definitely talk to your school, the midwife and anyone else who would need to help organise special arrangements.
sexytigerlilly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Congratulations to you both! Regarding postponing the exams situation, I'm not sure what's the shortest and longest duration for the exam can be postpone for. However, due to my personal and health issue at university in my final year, mitigating circumstances permitted me to do either 1st attempt ( Uncapped ) exams during re-take period ( August) OR take them in the next academic year ( May ). This meant that I graduated a year later which I didn't mind. I chose to do them next academic year and because I have not technically failed the module, I was not obliged to attend the lectures. So I think in your girlfriend's scenario might be something similar and whether she has to attend the classes or not, you can check that out. Also this is at university level situation, A level may be different. Best wishes :-)
Anonymous #4
Report 1 year ago
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance
Ok this may sound "stupid" considering how this thread is going, and this is not my business, but i think it takes VERY LITTLE common sense to realise a baby during a levels can be a bad idea (an unneccessary hardship even if a baby is worth celebrating).
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok this may sound "stupid" considering how this thread is going, and this is not my business, but i think it takes VERY LITTLE common sense to realise a baby during a levels can be a bad idea (an unneccessary hardship even if a baby is worth celebrating).
While it might not be the ideal situation, or one that they would have planned for, if they're happy about becoming parents I think it's absolutely the right thing to try and fit the exams round the baby rather than the other way around.
SomeWelshGuy123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congratulations for a teenage pregnancy, Jesus this generation is screwded. Might as well Order 66 everyone born after 2000 and try again.
username3444162
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congrats man, idk about your issue but congrats on future fatherhood, good luck
TheTroll73
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
nice!

if she does not mind a gap year, then it is a good idea so she can have more time to take care of her baby . Plus it'd be a totally acceptable reason for a gap year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (75)
73.53%
No I haven't decided yet (15)
14.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (12)
11.76%

Watched Threads