The Student Room Group

Vet experience for GCSE student

I would really welcome advice as to who to contact for vet medicine experience 15 year old doing GCSEs and keen to learn and build up her CV. A lot of places say that she has to already be at vet college. If you could recommend any vets, pet shops, farms, wildlife sanctuaries etc which will offer voluntary work please could you post your suggestions? Very best wishes and thanks. We're based in London but could potenitally travel if its in the school holidays.
I wouldn't worry about veterinary experience at such a young age - all (afaik) universities have a work experience cut off period and most is two years before application.
You will also struggle to seek experience due to employment/insurance regulations regarding under 16's
Reply 2
Thanks that's very helpful, this is what we are finding from endless phone calls! There is a great 'zoo academy' at Whipsnade zoo for 15 to 17 year olds interested in the profession which she did over the summer. We'll focus on getting experience for when she is 16 (which is next summer). All thoughts still welcome on experience for 16 year olds and over. Best wishes and thanks.
Original post by JoannaTamar
Thanks that's very helpful, this is what we are finding from endless phone calls! There is a great 'zoo academy' at Whipsnade zoo for 15 to 17 year olds interested in the profession which she did over the summer. We'll focus on getting experience for when she is 16 (which is next summer). All thoughts still welcome on experience for 16 year olds and over. Best wishes and thanks.

As much of the profession is about treating disease it is also about preventing disease - and other than prophylaxis the way to do this is through good animal husbandry. Therefore husbandry placements are essential to demonstrate to vet schools that applicants understand the different sectors vets play a roll in and the applicant has a broad general knowledge of good husbandry practices.

Ideally these placements include kennels/catteries, stables, dairy or beef farms, lambing and if possible a pig or poultry placement.
It is by no means a bad thing if these placements are carried out at multiple businesses as this will actually allow husbandry comparisons to be made and give greater understanding.

For clinical they typically expect atleast small animal practice and if possible a farm/equine practice also though exceptions are made if geographically this would be of great difficulty to you.

I personally found the easiest way of getting placements (and still is now in vet school) was either going to the business in person or phoning. It is far easier to convey enthusiasm and far harder for them to say no :wink:
Original post by JoannaTamar
I would really welcome advice as to who to contact for vet medicine experience 15 year old doing GCSEs and keen to learn and build up her CV. A lot of places say that she has to already be at vet college. If you could recommend any vets, pet shops, farms, wildlife sanctuaries etc which will offer voluntary work please could you post your suggestions? Very best wishes and thanks. We're based in London but could potenitally travel if its in the school holidays.

Blue Cross take volunteers from 14. Battersea Park children's zoo do placements and so do most city farms. Feel free to send me a private message if you want more help
Reply 5
Thought I would put my two cents in!

I started volunteering at my local animal sanctuary in late year 10 and I went every Sunday for seven hours. I haven’t applied yet (in first year of sixth form) but I couldn’t recommend volunteering at an early age enough it’s has been so useful and all the people are so willing to teach me about animal husbandry etc . I have now even been offered a job their so that’s a bonus as well! Although it might not be super useful it has honestly made my life so much better and given me something to look forward to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending