Is a Chemistry degree worth it??! Watch

Mariya 21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi I'm going to be applying for chemistry soon more specifically medicinal chemistry and was wondering whether a chemistry degree is worth taking. I have heard many negative things about taking a degree in chem one of them being the jobs that are offered aren't very good and that if you do get a job you would be a lab technician, also the pay withing chemistry isn't a very high.
So if anyone is taking or has a chemistry degree please give me some advice and what your opinions are. Thank you.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Mariya 21)
Hi I'm going to be applying for chemistry soon more specifically medicinal chemistry and was wondering whether a chemistry degree is worth taking. I have heard many negative things about taking a degree in chem one of them being the jobs that are offered aren't very good and that if you do get a job you would be a lab technician, also the pay withing chemistry isn't a very high.
So if anyone is taking or has a chemistry degree please give me some advice and what your opinions are. Thank you.
People who end up in low paying jobs don't have postgrad qualifications which you need for any science career. If you don't plan to stay in science you can do anything you want that uses your transferable skills but you will have to start at the bottom and work your way up. You aren't going to magically land a high paying job when you graduate.
Jenjenss
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
My teacher has a chemistry degree so if you’re interested in teaching that’s an option but he said after he graduated he was jobless for a long time
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
As with any degree, you need a career plan at the end of it unless you’re doing a degree that leads to a specific vocation (e.g: medicine) The onus is on you to get the required work experience to get into that career
Mariya 21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
People who end up in low paying jobs don't have postgrad qualifications which you need for any science career. If you don't plan to stay in science you can do anything you want that uses your transferable skills but you will have to start at the bottom and work your way up. You aren't going to magically land a high paying job when you graduate.
By post-grad do you mean getting a PhD because that is what I am planning on doing after I do a masters degree.
Will having a phd land me a better paying job?
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
By post-grad do you mean getting a PhD because that is what I am planning on doing after I do a masters degree.
Will having a phd land me a better paying job?
Just collecting degrees for the sake of it is not going to help either. As someone has said above you need to have a plan. If the career you want needs a nasters and PhD then yes they will help but if it doesn't then you will still have to work your way up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.35%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.45%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.21%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (182)
40.18%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.64%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise