Should I take A-Level Law Watch

Amha
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sophieevans17)
hi! i’m also in year 11 and have heard this rumour too! i am an aspiring lawyer also and am at the moment taking a level law aswell as english lit/lang and sociology with criminology.

would anybody be able to clear this rumour up and/or explain it to me?

thankyou 😁
Welllll... My friend got an offer from Cambridge and I got an offer from UCL and we both do law for a levels. So the rumour is wrong
sophieevans17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
oh wow congratulations! i had hoped it was wrong as i am wanting to take law , is it an interesting a level topic?
Amha
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
oh wow congratulations! i had hoped it was wrong as i am wanting to take law , is it an interesting a level topic?
It is definitely alot of content.
Laurence010401
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There’s a lot of writing, especially if you have my teacher that reminds me to make notes up to every 2 mins then sometimes has a go at me after the lesson for not writing enough lol
And hundreds of cases to remember, which is easier than it sounds actually
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username4489666
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Well I’m on my first year of college taking law, English and history. For me law is the most interesting subject and easiest to understand, but there is a lot to remember like cases and acts and a couple of different Latin words but it’s not as hard as it sounds. I think the hardest part is learning how to write a level answers and essays, but your teacher should go through that with you. I’m not sure about every college but I know that at my college we’re spending the first year learning all of the content and the second year practicing exam questions and revising so if your college is like that then it shouldn’t be too hard, and it isn’t true that it’s not a respected a level - a couple of years ago some unis didn’t like it but they don’t care now it just depends on the grade you get.
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by DaniM02)
Well I’m on my first year of college taking law, English and history. For me law is the most interesting subject and easiest to understand, but there is a lot to remember like cases and acts and a couple of different Latin words but it’s not as hard as it sounds. I think the hardest part is learning how to write a level answers and essays, but your teacher should go through that with you. I’m not sure about every college but I know that at my college we’re spending the first year learning all of the content and the second year practicing exam questions and revising so if your college is like that then it shouldn’t be too hard, and it isn’t true that it’s not a respected a level - a couple of years ago some unis didn’t like it but they don’t care now it just depends on the grade you get.
****ing hell, all the content in one year?
My law teacher was once worried that the full 2 years wouldn’t be enough to get through everything lmao
username4489666
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Laurence010401)
My law teacher was once worried that the full 2 years wouldn’t be enough to get through everything lmao
😂😂yeah it seems like a lot but it’s not really too much, we’ve got two teachers so we’ve done the law making bit and now we’re doing criminal law with one teacher and tort law with another which we’ve almost finished already, our college likes to move fast😂
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
😂😂yeah it seems like a lot but it’s not really too much, we’ve got two teachers so we’ve done the law making bit and now we’re doing criminal law with one teacher and tort law with another which we’ve almost finished already, our college likes to move fast😂
I did criminal, then tort, now doing contract
How many hours do u have per week?
username4489666
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

I did criminal, then tort, now doing contract
How many hours do u have per week?
We have 4 hours a week, what about you?
Laurence010401
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
We have 4 hours a week, what about you?
Sameeeeeeee
Idk how u are gonna get through the entire content in one year
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You don't need to do Law for Criminology and as several people have pointed out, its actually a fairly dull subject with heaps of reading and essays. If you can do Sociology or even Politics instead you might find it more interesting and more relevant to Criminology.

To find out what Criminology is all about (ie. is it what you think it is, would you enjoy it?) then its worth looking at some University coueses now and even going to a relevant Uni Open Day in and listening their presentaions about the course - there will be lots coming up between now and June, and you don't have to be 'about to apply' to go.
yotsr123
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
hi! i’m also in year 11 and have heard this rumour too! i am an aspiring lawyer also and am at the moment taking a level law aswell as english lit/lang and sociology with criminology.

would anybody be able to clear this rumour up and/or explain it to me?

thankyou 😁
You don't need to A level law at all. Unis like a level english literature.
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The only top university that is slightly averse to A-level law is LSE, if I'm honest.
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by abigail.mcc)
I'm in year 11 and I am picking my A-levels. I definitely want to take psychology and English Language however and I am trying to pick between Biology and Law.
To be honest I really don't want to take A-Level Biology but I don't know whether it would be a good idea just in case I change my mind. I am interested in Criminology but I'm aware there are very few jobs available compared to Law.
Please, can you tell me what the Law A-Level cause is like?
Id look on some unis websites to see if they specify any particular a-levels for their criminology courses.
That may help you decide.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.47%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.65%
No, but I want to start (189)
35.8%
No, I am unable to (123)
23.3%
No, I chose not to (152)
28.79%