The Student Room Group

Just converted to Islam, any advice from brothers and sisters?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 007Ruby007
I’m from Manchester, in sixth form atm, hbu?

I’m in my first year of uni x
My Advice to you would be to take one step at a time. There is no rush to know everything straightaway as it can lead to burnout.

A few things you'll need to know/memorize:
1.) Wudu
2.) Salah (Prayer) The actions and the prayer itself

Can I ask if you have decided to follow a school of Fiqh?
Original post by Tawheed
Asalamualaykum sister,

This is wonderful to hear.

The advice i would personally give is not to lose that which allowed you to come into Islam. I am sure you must have dealt with a lot of propaganda, distortions of what Islam or the Quran teaches, perhaps even recognising that not every Muslim is the best presentative of their religion ; a minority may perform acts which put down the majority. You are will on a journey - we all are - for continual prayer for guidance, study, and making our way towards whatever is the closest to truth.

Thank you so much x
Original post by 007Ruby007
Why so hateful haha

genuinely curious, muslim friend or internet?!
Original post by FailedMyMocks
My Advice to you would be to take one step at a time. There is no rush to know everything straightaway as it can lead to burnout.

A few things you'll need to know/memorize:
1.) Wudu
2.) Salah (Prayer) The actions and the prayer itself

Can I ask if you have decided to follow a school of Fiqh?

Hey, thank you for your support! I’ve made notes on the fiqh of wudu’ and salah’ according the Ahadith and the commentary of early scholars.

As of now I’ve decided not to make taqlid of a particular Imam of jurisprudence, I’m going to try and practice in a way most correlative with the Qu’ran and the Sunnah! :smile:
Original post by CollectiveSoul
genuinely curious, muslim friend or internet?!

Hey thanks for your question! My sources of study have primarily come from scholarly works, and reading the Seerah from early sources (Ibn Ishaq) etc.
Original post by katherinecroft
Hey, thank you for your support! I’ve made notes on the fiqh of wudu’ and salah’ according the Ahadith and the commentary of early scholars.

As of now I’ve decided not to make taqlid of a particular Imam of jurisprudence, I’m going to try and practice in a way most correlative with the Qu’ran and the Sunnah! :smile:

Personally, I also believe in keeping it simple by following the Quran and Sunnah in the correct manner. Everything else will fall into place In Sha Allah x
Hey thanks for your question! My sources of study have primarily come from scholarly works, and reading the Seerah from early sources (Ibn Ishaq) etc.

i call BS on this. i think you are from an islamic family
@Tawheed

Thank you for sharing that attribution to Imam Hussein AS. The hardships faced by him through the Karbala motivated me on the daily! Just as the heartbreaking end of Sayyidina Uthmaan RA helped change my ignorant perspective on this great faith!
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks for your question! Since I’ve been spending most of my spare time researching Islam, my parents have become quite habitual to my transition as my conversion didn’t mark a sudden change. They’ve been totally accepting which is great, although during the early stages of my interest in the faith, they had their reservations which is totally understandable :smile:

It must be a great comfort to you that your parents have been so understanding and supportive. :smile:
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i call BS on this. i think you are from an islamic family

Sorry?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
It must be a great comfort to you that your parents have been so understanding and supportive. :smile:

It is indeed!

Awesome.

Following one of the four schools of Fiqh is the norm in Islam. It just makes everything easier for the lay person.

That's great in theory, however what are you going to do when there is multiple sources seemingly contradictory on an issue?

I would advise a little bit of caution concerning Ibn Ishaq - but i am sure you know this already.

Essentially, after the death of Muhammed (saw) people began to transmit his sayings via oral tradition. The nature of the culture at the time - similar in some ways to the Jewish tradition - made this a very powerful tool of spreading information. However, many began to fabricate concerning the Prophet (saw) and you can probably think of a few reasons why. Some may have done so out of prestige, as having reports made many flock to an individual. At times, traditions were fabricated owing to the political context, and after the death of the Prophet (saw) Islam became highly politicised. The Ummayads and Abbasids dynasties took a keen interest in this themselves.

While Ibn Ishaq is a rather early source, it is still 100-150 years after Muhammed (saw). It relies on a chain of narrators from Ibn Ishaq to the Prophet (saw) or an eye witness to an event. Ibn Ishaq was also accused of being a Muddalis, that means he would often conceal his sources. This did not mean he lied per say, but at times may have wanted to hide the fact he quoted from a lower authority and merely quoted the higher one who the lower one cited to him. At times there are people he could not have met in the chain of narrators. Indeed, even within the chain of narrators are people known to be liars, fabricators, or those with partisan views.

As a historical work, it is of some merit and importance - there can be no doubt about that. However, there is an agreement among Muslims that it is merely one piece of a much larger puzzle.
(edited 5 years ago)
Awesome.

Following one of the four schools of Fiqh is the norm in Islam. It just makes everything easier for the lay person.

That's great in theory, however what are you going to do when there is multiple sources seemingly contradictory on an issue?

When there appears to be a contradiction amongst the madhaib, I’ll refer to a Scholar of the Sunnah to direct me to the opinion that is closest to the Kitaab wa sunnah - One of the earliest and most fundamental things I learned about fiqh is that in Allah’s perspective the truth is only one
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed
I would advise a little bit of caution concerning Ibn Ishaq - but i am sure you know this already.

Essentially, after the death of Muhammed (saw) people began to transmit his sayings via oral tradition. The nature of the culture at the time - similar in some ways to the Jewish tradition - made this a very powerful tool of spreading information. However, many began to fabricate concerning the Prophet (saw) and you can probably think of a few reasons why. Some may have done so out of prestige, as having reports made many flock to an individual. At times, traditions were fabricated owing to the political context, and after the death of the Prophet (saw) Islam became highly politicised. The Ummayads and Abbasids dynasties took a keen interest in this themselves.

While Ibn Ishaq is a rather early source, it is still 100-150 years after Muhammed (saw). It relies on a chain of narrators from Ibn Ishaq to the Prophet (saw) or an eye witness to an event. Ibn Ishaq was also accused of being a Muddalis, that means he would often conceal his sources. This did not mean he lied per say, but at times may have wanted to hide the fact he quoted from a lower authority and merely quoted the higher one who the lower one cited to him. At times there are people he could not have met in the chain of narrators. Indeed, even within the chain of narrators are people known to be liars, fabricators, or those with partisan views.

As a historical work, it is of some merit and importance - there can be no doubt about that. However, there is an agreement among Muslims that it is merely one piece of a much larger puzzle.

Thank you for pointing this out, I appreciate the importance of accessing a corpus of sacred sources!
When there appears to be a contradiction amongst the madhaib, I’ll refer to a Scholar of the Sunnah to direct me to the opinion that is closest to the Kitaab wa sunnah - One of the earliest and most fundamental things I learned about fiqh is that in Allah’s perspective the truth is only one

Do you identify with the Salafi sect?
Do you identify with the Salafi sect?

I’m inclined towards the Salafi ulema however I’m wary of sectarianism :smile:

Above following Fiqh, though it is of utmost importance, is Aqeedah ; ones belief system and the foundational cornerstone of Islam. Central to Aqeedah is belief concerning Allah and his attributes. Within the religion of Islam you have a broad range of diverging views over the following question: Where is Allah? What are his attributes? What can we not attribute to him? Personally speaking, when i underwent a process of reevaluating my beliefs entirely, after periods of doubt, the first thing i began with was the principle of Tawheed - which is the holistic set of beliefs pertaining to God, the Almighty. That is precisely why i chose it as my username.

You will find groups diverging on minor but important details, and discussions becoming complex and at times, rather confusing. What one can do in the face of this is focus on the fundamentals, and let that ground you and light your path.

Nevertheless, if anyone brings up anything that makes you concerned about the Quran, Islam, or even belief in God, let us know, and perhaps we can shed some light or point you to a better resource.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well, when Europe turns against Muslims, you will be ****ed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending