The Student Room Group

Flatmates called security on me because I refused to turn music down?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Astrainlinat
Funny how I’m pulling the race card but it seems like race the only thing you saw and noticed in whole argument. You do realise racism is not just slavery and black people being lynched. You don’t have to say the n word to be racist. Racism can occur in microaggressions. You’d be ignorant or just blind if you don’t think it’s racism. I’m the only black person in a flat with 5 other white people before this event, I was regularly isolated by my flatmates to the point I asked to change accommodation. The fact that one flatmate she said she was scared and shaking yet when security came she couldn’t tell him why she was scared and he even said it seems silly she would say that. Which just proves my point. I’m 5’3 and I didn’t even come near her, what does she feel threatened by exactly? 🤔

You are the one you brought your race into it, not me. I know racism is more than that obviously, you can also be racist to whites,

Microagressions... nope.

If you bring your race into something seemingly irrelevant Expect to be attacked.
Original post by 999tigger
Because I thought you were after advice and you just seem to want to pick an argument. Unless you have evidence there is a racial element and motivation to the complaint and can prove it then its a weak argument to make and detracts from your main one.

First of all, I didn’t say once that I was going to use as an argument. Second of all, I did feel like what she said was racially motivated in order to get me in trouble. Thirdly just because I don’t blindly agree with you, does not mean I am looking for an argument. You’re the one who was looking for an argument when you said I was pulling the “race card”. As if mentioning race is some saving grace, oh please.
Reply 42
First of all, I didn’t say once that I was going to use as an argument. Second of all, I did feel like what she said was racially motivated in order to get me in trouble. Thirdly just because I don’t blindly agree with you, does not mean I am looking for an argument. You’re the one who was looking for an argument when you said I was pulling the “race card”. As if mentioning race is some saving grace, oh please.

There is no proof that it was do to with race so bringing it up is looking pointless to everyone but you. Because of that people are pointing it out and you are not helping your case by contradicting yourself all over the place.

As others have said you are trying to play victim in a situation where everybody seems to be as bad as each other. Maybe you all need to learn that other people exist with different ways of living and you all need to work out how to cohabit.
Moved to uni life as this is unrelated to relationships :smile:
Original post by Bio 7
There is no proof that it was do to with race so bringing it up is looking pointless to everyone but you. Because of that people are pointing it out and you are not helping your case by contradicting yourself all over the place.

As others have said you are trying to play victim in a situation where everybody seems to be as bad as each other. Maybe you all need to learn that other people exist with different ways of living and you all need to work out how to cohabit.

I still stand with it being due to race but I wouldn’t mention it until I get more evidence. I’ve never tried to play victim or asked people to feel sorry for me. That’s their own interpretation 🤷🏽*♀️I just think it’s ridiculous they called security on me, that’s it. Yes it’s not a one sided thing, it’s not just me making things worse it’s everyone in the flat involved
Original post by DrawTheLine
Moved to uni life as this is unrelated to relationships :smile:

What do you mean?
What do you mean?

I moved your thread from the relationships forum to the university life forum. Your post isn't about a relationship so it needed to be moved to the appropriate forum.
I feel like there's probably something else underlying this and not just that you were playing music too loud.
Reply 48
Original post by AzureCeleste
I feel like there's probably something else underlying this and not just that you were playing music too loud.

Yeah it seems like a big reaction over a bit of music. I have a feeling there is much more to this story. If a flatmate was shaking in fear I suspect the reason is being held back.
Reply 49
@Astrainlinat have you spoken to your university accommodation team to see if they can move you to a different flat? Judging by your previous thread you might find things are better all round if you start again with a different group of flatmates.
In all fairness if you didn't complain when they were playing music (presumably after 11pm) then that's your fault. You need to let them know when you are annoyed at their music. That being said, I do think that you are overall in the right. If they complain to you then you should probably turn your music down. But they should also when you complain.
next time they have a party, call security. problem solved.
My neighbours have felt threatened by me and everyone who said stop playing the race card really don’t know. Don’t listen to them
[quote="7;80376444" Bio="Bio"]Yeah it seems like a big reaction over a bit of music. I have a feeling there is much more to this story. If a flatmate was shaking in fear I suspect the reason is being held back.[/

Original post by Rainfall
My neighbours have felt threatened by me and everyone who said stop playing the race card really don’t know. Don’t listen to them

Exactly, it’s usually white people who say don’t play the race card but they have never been racist to or have been treated differently because of the colour of their skin. I know international students who have been crying or felt uncomfortable by their flatmates
Why would I mention it in the first place if

Exactly, it’s usually white people who say don’t play the race card but they have never been racist to or have been treated differently because of the colour of their skin. I know international students who have been crying or felt uncomfortable by their flatmates

Original post by EmperorTortoise
In all fairness if you didn't complain when they were playing music (presumably after 11pm) then that's your fault. You need to let them know when you are annoyed at their music. That being said, I do think that you are overall in the right. If they complain to you then you should probably turn your music down. But they should also when you complain.

The thing is I wasn’t annoyed by their music one bit, I’m a very care free person but I just find it hypocritical that they are complaining about my loud music when they have parties and guests round all the time. It shouldn’t be one rule for them and another for me
Original post by Doonesbury
@Astrainlinat have you spoken to your university accommodation team to see if they can move you to a different flat? Judging by your previous thread you might find things are better all round if you start again with a different group of flatmates.

Yes I have spoken to them, I just don’t have the money at the moment to move flat
The thing is I wasn’t annoyed by their music one bit, I’m a very care free person but I just find it hypocritical that they are complaining about my loud music when they have parties and guests round all the time. It shouldn’t be one rule for them and another for me

No of course it shouldn't - so you should let them know. I think it is quite unlikely that this is a race issue though unless you have experienced any other forms of racism from them?
Original post by EmperorTortoise
No of course it shouldn't - so you should let them know. I think it is quite unlikely that this is a race issue though unless you have experienced any other forms of racism from them?

Seems like a tit for tat thing now. I have been isolated by them at the start of the year but no verbal form of racism yet
Reply 58
Yes I have spoken to them, I just don’t have the money at the moment to move flat

It doesn't cost money to move, unless they don't have any rooms available at the same rate...
Original post by Doonesbury
It doesn't cost money to move, unless they don't have any rooms available at the same rate...

They said it’s £100 to move rooms

Quick Reply

Latest