Have your say: How are mobile phones changing the way we live? Watch

discobish
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
How are mobile phones changing the way we live?

Are they helping or hindering us?

Read our article and have your say below
ethan_wllms
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by discobish)
How are mobile phones changing the way we live?

Are they helping or hindering us?

Read our article and have your say below
Considering mobile phone addictions are a real thing, I’d say they are greatly hindering us.

Sure, they can be helpful for fast communication, news broadcasts, online maps, staying in touch, etc. but, especially now with the latest smartphones, they’re basically mini computers that you can carry around in your pocket and do pretty much anything with.
discobish
  • TSR Community Staff
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by ethan_wllms)
Considering mobile phone addictions are a real thing, I’d say they are greatly hindering us.

Sure, they can be helpful for fast communication, news broadcasts, online maps, staying in touch, etc. but, especially now with the latest smartphones, they’re basically mini computers that you can carry around in your pocket and do pretty much anything with.
I agree - it also kinda freaks me out that someone can find out exactly where I am at any given moment... :ninjagirl:
ethan_wllms
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I agree - it also kinda freaks me out that someone can find out exactly where I am at any given moment... :ninjagirl:
That bothers me too... I like my privacy. I like going to places unknown. Sometimes I just leave my phone at home if I’m going somewhere and I know I won’t use it.
AppleB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
They’re more of a hindrance.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It's so scary the amount of data that places like Google have on you. I can see my movements on this day 3 years ago from the moment I left my house to when my keys turned in the lock to get home.

I think the main problem with mobiles nowadays is that they've become so important and have so many functions you easily feel lost without one. I'm constantly worrying about the battery life on my phone and what happens if it goes dead when i'm not home, and have often gone out of my way to correct it e.g sitting in Starbucks just to use their power.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
They made me a communist.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As someone of generation z, you may think I said with smartphones but I don't. Having a mini computer everywhere you go is turning all of us into zombies, a phone was originally invented to communicate, not to play or stream videos wherever you go. Sometimes I am just thinking what is the world coming to when I go outside and see everyone staring at their phones like zombies.
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nice Swansea University!
I'd say mobile phones has made our lives but also ruined them.
It has made our lives much easier in terms of efficiency in communication, doing general day to day tasks such as organising our calendar, sorting out bank account, ordering food and even applying for jobs. Life is so convenient now.

On the flip side mobile phones have ruined our lives.
When I go to pubs nowadays at points everyone in my group ends up being on their phones and it has severely hindered our social interaction abilities as we see more and more of the youth staring at their phones with their earphones in. Although playing Pokemon Go is a great form of exercise and forces people outside their house I feel it's also a missed opportunity in terms of exploring the great outdoors and nature for what it is. It is also an addictive action, looking at our phones for too long, I sometimes find myself reading the news when I am in the toilet on my phone even though I should rest my eyes more. Social Media can definitely impact our mental health with increasing trolls who do more damage to people than they would do to people in real life. Mobile phones have also increased the amount of sensitive information we have on our phones with implications for increasing cyber crime potentially?

The list goes on for both sides of the argument. Although phones have changed our lives for sure, whether it has improved or worsened the way we live our lives, I don't know.
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't own a phone lol.

Kind of annoying carrying one around all the time. My last one broke a few years ago and I never replaced it. I just message people on facebook on my PC when I get home if I want to talk to them.
Last edited by ChickenMadness; 4 weeks ago
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Both. I think good outweighs positive though. Nothing is perfect after all. People overreact too much.
Last edited by Obolinda; 4 weeks ago
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is what the modern world is coming too. A load of technology dependent zombies. It's even worse once you realise that so many kids growing up in the UK at least will never know what life was like before all this. Tablet/phone from day one.
----_----
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i think for the most part, theyve helped us. Of course they can be addicting but they have definitely made our lives significantly easier. Im an anxious person and being able to communicate with people that would help or comfort me when im out and about or alone really does help me. Or say we're meeting up at 2 and you missed your bus so youre gonna be half an hour late, knowing where you are and that youre gonna be late honestly helps so much.
And getting home is easier, you can check bus times and train times or get an uber. Google maps too, literally saved my dumb ass so many times its unbelievable.
Change is inevitable, and change is good. The whole phone bad book good rhetoric really doesnt help anyone. Phones are good, theyre convenient. They can be addicting and distracting but i feel like life in general has become a lot more hectic over the past century and everything moves so quickly, its not necessarily the phones fault
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ----_----)
i think for the most part, theyve helped us. Of course they can be addicting but they have definitely made our lives significantly easier. Im an anxious person and being able to communicate with people that would help or comfort me when im out and about or alone really does help me. Or say we're meeting up at 2 and you missed your bus so youre gonna be half an hour late, knowing where you are and that youre gonna be late honestly helps so much.
And getting home is easier, you can check bus times and train times or get an uber. Google maps too, literally saved my dumb ass so many times its unbelievable.
Change is inevitable, and change is good. The whole phone bad book good rhetoric really doesnt help anyone. Phones are good, theyre convenient. They can be addicting and distracting but i feel like life in general has become a lot more hectic over the past century and everything moves so quickly, its not necessarily the phones fault
Your standard brick phone which can call and text is fine. It's smartphones that turn people into degenerates.
ARealNowhereMan
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would say that they made our lives different. In terms of our old life styles they ruined them, but I am hopelessly optimistic about ruin, and prefer to call it change.
AlishaFelicia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's creating a highly individualistic society, people are breaking away from real friends and family and instead social media is controlling our lives. We spend less time with friends and family and more on our phones. This is unhealthy as spending a long time using phones, can damage our eyes and it is predicted that by 2050 60% of the world's population will be wearing glasses and this is all due to the use of phones, computers Tvs. It also has a damaging effect on our health, as using phones make us less active and lazy, it makes us less productive. The list goes on! The point is that phones have revolutionised our lives in a negative way, we spend more time talking to our friends than meeting them in person because simply, there's faster ways to communicate with people.
Last edited by AlishaFelicia; 4 weeks ago
AlishaFelicia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oh Yh I agree with that part. Google maps is de best, cos I'm always lost 😂
----_----
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Your standard brick phone which can call and text is fine. It's smartphones that turn people into degenerates.
Bus times, google maps, ordering food, checking your emails, organising ****. People who've had phones their whole lives are still kids so its difficult to measure the full impact of that yet.
If you think phones are bad, dont use them but the phones bad rhetoric is beyond stupid
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AlishaFelicia)
Oh Yh I agree with that part. Google maps is de best, cos I'm always lost 😂
If you had to use an actual map, would you be able to?
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bus times, google maps, ordering food, checking your emails, organising ****. People who've had phones their whole lives are still kids so its difficult to measure the full impact of that yet.
If you think phones are bad, dont use them but the phones bad rhetoric is beyond stupid
I'm sorry but can you honestly not do all of that without a smartphone? This is why people have meltdowns when the WIFI goes down. Phones themselves aren't bad, that's not what I said. But some people have because incredibly useless at doing the basics because their smartphone does everything for them. Sure a lot of the things it can do makes life easier, but it can make people lazy and stupid too. Nevermind parents who now don't teach their kids the basics in the first place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (142)
21.16%
The paper was reasonable (327)
48.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.78%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise