The Student Room Group

Can you take time off of sixth form for mental illness?

I am depressed and anxious all the time. During the summer between GCSE and A-Level my mental health improved and as soon as I started college it got worse again. I started taking Sertraline at 25mg and that didn’t do anything so after a month they increased it to 50mg, and that caused me to become depressed and suicidal, so I came off of it. I’ve had so much time off from college because every time I go in I get really anxious and I panic. I’ve had panic attacks in class and now I’ve associated it with a panic attack so I’m avoiding going. But because I won’t go into college I get worried that maybe I’m just being lazy, but I really want to go I’m like everyone else but I physically can’t. I feel like such a failure because I’m sat at home all day (apart from the weekends where I work) and want to be able to do A levels or at LEAST go to college but I can’t cope with the pressure. As soon as they told me I’d have to be doing 5 hours of independent study per subject a week I panicked. I got scared that A Levels would make my mental health worse, and I feel so guilty because everyone else is going to college just fine but I can’t. And it’s eating me up. I feel so worthless
I was in a similar position to you last year, when I was in my first year of sixth form. I struggled a lot with my mental health and this impacted everything, such as my school work and social life. I was going to take time off but I didn’t. A year on and I am in now a much better place. I had professional help but I think it was mainly down to persisting during sixth form and reminding myself that things will get better.

Are you speaking to someone about your situation? Have you told your college? There isn’t anything wrong with taking a bit of a break from college if you think it will help, but it could make it harder to come back to college if you haven’t dealt with the problems that you were facing there. Just remember, things will get better overtime, perhaps you are still getting used to the demands of sixth form like many others which is completely normal.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Helianthuss
I am depressed and anxious all the time. During the summer between GCSE and A-Level my mental health improved and as soon as I started college it got worse again. I started taking Sertraline at 25mg and that didn’t do anything so after a month they increased it to 50mg, and that caused me to become depressed and suicidal, so I came off of it. I’ve had so much time off from college because every time I go in I get really anxious and I panic. I’ve had panic attacks in class and now I’ve associated it with a panic attack so I’m avoiding going. But because I won’t go into college I get worried that maybe I’m just being lazy, but I really want to go I’m like everyone else but I physically can’t. I feel like such a failure because I’m sat at home all day (apart from the weekends where I work) and want to be able to do A levels or at LEAST go to college but I can’t cope with the pressure. As soon as they told me I’d have to be doing 5 hours of independent study per subject a week I panicked. I got scared that A Levels would make my mental health worse, and I feel so guilty because everyone else is going to college just fine but I can’t. And it’s eating me up. I feel so worthless

I am sorry you are dealing with this. Anxiety/panic attacks are very difficult and scary to go through. It is good that you want to finish college. Have you thought of taking online classes? That is what I am doing righ now and I absolutely love it! I would call an advisor at the school to see if there is a way you can do that. Also, do you have anyone that you can talk to about what you are going through? It always helps to have someone there for you. I hope everything gets better!

Quick Reply

Latest