The Student Room Group

Dropped out of MA, want to try again, PGL questions.

Hi,

I started a Master in September 2016 and received an award for the postgraduate loan. However, I dropped out of the course after a short while. For some reason SFE continued to pay the loan amount for the entire year and having no employment at the time, I didn't phone them to stop the payments (I will be paying it all back at some point anyway) and used that money to live on while I looked for work.

Part of the reason I was unable to continue was due to being unable to attend the study sessions on the Fridays and Saturdays. I would like to try again, but this time via distance learning to avoid the requirement of attending (tutorials are online).

Does anyone know if I would be able to apply for the loan again? I received about £3000 of the £10000. Even if I could apply for the remainder that would cover the tuition fees.

Any help will be great.
Original post by redmel1621
Hi,

I started a Master in September 2016 and received an award for the postgraduate loan. However, I dropped out of the course after a short while. For some reason SFE continued to pay the loan amount for the entire year and having no employment at the time, I didn't phone them to stop the payments (I will be paying it all back at some point anyway) and used that money to live on while I looked for work.

Part of the reason I was unable to continue was due to being unable to attend the study sessions on the Fridays and Saturdays. I would like to try again, but this time via distance learning to avoid the requirement of attending (tutorials are online).

Does anyone know if I would be able to apply for the loan again? I received about £3000 of the £10000. Even if I could apply for the remainder that would cover the tuition fees.

Any help will be great.

Hi,

Unfortunately, you wouldn't be eligible to apply for another Postgraduate loan if you have already received one previously regardless of whether you received the full amount or not.

The only exception is when there are mitigating circumstances for the withdrawal or suspension from the course, in which case you would be able to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons for an additional year.

Thanks, Holly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending