The Student Room Group

Personal statements

What makes a personal statement really stand out?
I found this video really helpful with mine! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcLwTjsDGwU
Reply 2
While I think the best attributes a personal statement can have depends on what the subject is, in general the best ones I have read are something akin to story. These PS's show a kind of progression from idle interest to passion through the achievements or things people have done while exhibiting all the skills necessary from a candidate.
Other good things can include is an overarching theme that you can feel in a ps. For example a Youtuber called Ibz Mo made a drop box filled with personal statements from people who got into Cambridge. The Economics personal statement included this overarching theme and I believe it was done extraordinarily well
However you can still make a very good personal statements through different methods. I myself didnt use either of the two strategies. Besides this advice is not from an admissions tutor - its just opinion
Reply 3
Looks like someone else sent the link for Ibz Mo lol. Theres also another video with Eve Bennett, Ibz Mo, Unjaded Jade and others that also discuss what makes a good ps you could watch that too!
Original post by Lottie_848
What makes a personal statement really stand out?

The best PSs are personal. They have details and specifics that are unique to you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending