Key things to pick out from a Psychology mark scheme??

Watch
SnowyOwl2505
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there,

I’m curently in Year 13 and approaching my final year of A- Levels. I was wondering whether looking at answers from a mark scheme and seeing what examiners want from the exam questions is a good form of revision? I’ve noticed that the mark scheme looks for the simplest answers and evaluation pointa are key.

Any ideas/ advice would be appreciated

username2657095
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I've started my degree in psychology at uni now and I achieved an A at a-level psychology so I think I can help. Typically, in a-level mark schemes look at the assessment objectives and the weighting of each one -that's where the marks lie. I did AQA and if I remember rightly AO1 was knowledge, AO2 was application and AO3 was evaluation. There's definitely a higher number of marks available for evaluation as opposed to describing a study, so focus on getting down the strengths and limitations. When dealing with an AO2 scenario question, always refer back to the scenario and apply your answer to real life settings. Hope this helps.
SnowyOwl2505
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by chooseanother)
Hey, I've started my degree in psychology at uni now and I achieved an A at a-level psychology so I think I can help. Typically, in a-level mark schemes look at the assessment objectives and the weighting of each one -that's where the marks lie. I did AQA and if I remember rightly AO1 was knowledge, AO2 was application and AO3 was evaluation. There's definitely a higher number of marks available for evaluation as opposed to describing a study, so focus on getting down the strengths and limitations. When dealing with an AO2 scenario question, always refer back to the scenario and apply your answer to real life settings. Hope this helps.
Hiya, thank you very much for your help, that makes more sense? Are you studying Psychology at Undergraduate Level? If yes, how is the course itself? What modules do you study? Are you in your first year?
I’d say my weakest is application lol, but I think practising exam questions will help.

How did you revise for A- Level Psychology? Any revision tips that you’ve tried? Any tips on research methods?

I feel as though with Psychology it’s mostly memory based, and knowing your stuff well because you can’t waffle in an exam. Like I said the mark scheme looks for specific points.

Thanks for your help
Last edited by SnowyOwl2505; 2 years ago
username2657095
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SnowyOwl2505)
Hiya, thank you very much for your help, that makes more sense? Are you studying Psychology at Undergraduate Level? If yes, how is the course itself? What modules do you study? Are you in your first year?
I’d say my weakest is application lol, but I think practising exam questions will help.

How did you revise for A- Level Psychology? Any revision tips that you’ve tried? Any tips on research methods?

I feel as though with Psychology it’s mostly memory based, and knowing your stuff well because you can’t waffle in an exam. Like I said the mark scheme looks for specific points.

Thanks for your help
You're very welcome. Yes, I'm a first year undergraduate student at Loughborough university studying BSc psychology with a placement year to give you some context. I'm really enjoying the course so far, I think if you love psychology at A-level you'll really love it at undergraduate level.

My compulsory modules this semester are: qualitative research methods, quantitative research methods, developmental psych, social psych and academic skills and professions in psych (a module which gets you up to speed with skills required for undergraduate study) and I chose to take both of my optional modules this semester: self and identity, and neuroscience. I'm definitely really enjoying my optional modules the most, and with the others I do enjoy them, but it depends on the effectiveness of the lecturer. After new year, I'll be doing some more compulsory modules such as: biological psychology, cognitive psychology, historical issues and controversies in psychology etc. When looking at universities I definitely recommend looking at the course content to see if it'll be something you enjoy and perhaps finding students on that course on tsr to see how they find it.

I mainly revised by rewriting my notes, because that helped me to memorise the content. If that doesn't work for you then flashcards and mindmaps are also a good call. I didn't need to really practice essay technique because I also did English Lit but if you struggle with essays, definitely practice them a lot! Write out cue cards for key studies and try to memorise the findings, percentages etc. I also watched a lot of videos to help me revise, which made it less boring. Some YouTube channels to check out: Crash course psychology, Wahey productions (will carne), Graverny Psychology, Psych2go. These videos are really helpful with remembering stuff like research methods which can be really tedious to revise. Be cautious tho, make sure you're revising according to your course specification and not the video content because it may be useful but be geared towards older specifications. I did all my revision according to the specification, make sure you go through all the bullet points because if it's mentioned on the spec you're likely to be questioned on it.

If you have any more questions or need advice/tips, feel free to dm me. I'm happy to help anytime!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (132)
24.26%
Live streaming events (47)
8.64%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (127)
23.35%
An in-person event when available (120)
22.06%