The Student Room Group

BAD grade

I just got my results back for biology and I got 42% . How do I get over it and start working hard for the next test?
I am so upset right now I don’t know what to do!
I know the feeling. I had a series of bad results last year. if you can, get the paper and go over it with your teacher and see what you did wrong and then you know what to focus on for next time.
if you can't, try to think back to what might have been more difficult. make a list of the topics in the subject and rate them either with traffic light colours or happy, neutral and sad face. green meaning you get it and don't need to focus on that, amber for ok and red for deffo need to focus on it.
prioritize the red topics in revision

it's ok to be upset at yourself but understand even the best of us sometimes don't do well sometimes. if you are struggling badly you might consider talking to your teacher as they might be able to offer some subject specific advice or pair you up with another student that might help you
Reply 2
Are you doing Biology at A Level or GCSE?
Original post by Z A R A
Are you doing Biology at A Level or GCSE?

The post is in Sixth Forms-A-Levels so A-Levels
I would say that you would need to evaluate yourself, did you revise properly, what method did you use, should you find a new one etc, thats the best way to get better marks, by constantly evaluating how you prepare for those exams
Original post by Asatu
I just got my results back for biology and I got 42% . How do I get over it and start working hard for the next test?
I am so upset right now I don’t know what to do!

Have a cry, have a moan to a friend or parent, have something to eat and then chill with friends or watch a nice film, then get some sleep.

It can wait till tomorrow, where you can start to figure out where the other 58% went.
Here's a few tips to improve:

I learn the content from here first and check if it covers all the content from my textbook. I add some more detail to it (the 'HowScienceWorks' boxes that we all skip ) and then learn that too.

After doing that, all I do is PRACTICE QUESTIONS as I believe that this is the key to Biology as there are soo many application questions. I write down the questions that I got wrong and memorise them to prevent me from making that mistake in the future.
I memorise the Mark Scheme for as many questions as possible, as similar questions in biology will have an overlapping mark scheme which expects certain key words and won't give you the marks unless you state those 'exact words'.
I once lost marks for describing some equipment as 'accurate' but I got it wrong because the mark scheme only accepted the word 'precise'.

Where I get my Biology practice questions (LINKS ATTACHED):

Past and Specimen Papers for all AQA, OCR and Edexcel

Ask your teachers for more questions

Quick Reply

Latest