The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
chemistry or physics is usually useful and good if you change your mind about courses
Reply 2
what about a langauge like french?
Reply 3
Do physics it's great fun!

Or further maths, because it isn't hard to just do that one at home.
Reply 4
I think you could get away with Drama since you have three other traditional subjects.

Other than that sciences or languages are good - they are respected and few people take them these days so it woulld look good. Physics would go well with the Maths. Or further maths of course?
Further Maths? Economics? Physics?

:biggrin:
You're not going to Oxford or Cambridge to study maths without further maths...
Reply 7
Physics IMO
Reply 8
Further Maths is going to be very useful for Oxbridge Maths courses (and doesn't hurt for History - look at me). Cambridge like you to have Physics, or several Maths Mechanics modules, as well.
Reply 9
generalebriety
You're not going to Oxford or Cambridge to study maths without further maths...

i thought that but i thought 2 lots of maths would kill me. im an A* student, good at maths, help my mates, i already know how to differentiate and thats in the a level, but would htat not kill me????????
so if i decided to study maths at uni i would take an as in f/m in my second year.

EDIT: I WOULD MANAGE, IM EXAGERATING. AND I ENJOY MATHS. ok so it wouldnt kill me. just wondered whether i should take a variety, something differnt. anyway my maths teacher only had maths as and not f/m.
or should i just do them both? ide probaly enjy the challenge.
littlejohno :)
i thought that but i thought 2 lots of maths would kill me. im an A* student, good at maths, help my mates, i already know how to differentiate and thats in the a level, but would htat not kill me????????
so if i decided to study maths at uni i would take an as in f/m in my second year.

At risk of sounding overly rude: if you can't handle further maths A-level, don't even consider maths at Oxford or Cambridge.
Reply 12
What do you want to do at Oxbridge anyway?

EDIT: Just seen above :redface: My advice would be to do FM because it won't harm a law app and you'll definitely need it for maths at Oxbridge.

If two lots of maths will kill you, why would you want to study it at uni? :p:
Reply 14

Well if you don't want to do too much Maths, how do you expect to cope with a Maths degree. From what you have said, I don't think you would be suited to one. To apply to Oxbridge maths you would need FM.
Reply 15
maths as an a-level is not hard at all, i did my AS in 4 months, and am finishing my A-level this june, and i started in september.
if you're an A* student, you will pick it up easily.
X
Reply 16

You'll be in trouble applying to top universities for maths and having to admit you didn't do FM to full A-level even though you had the opportunity.
Reply 17
a science or a language
Lol, the obvious question they'll ask you at an interview, should you get one, is why the HELL did you not do FURTHER MATHS if your school offers it??

You'll have a hard time convincing Oxbridge that you've wanted to do maths ever since you were wee small.
Reply 19

I was an A* student at GCSE (barely - predicted myself a B coming out of the final exam) but didn't know how to differentiate before AS, but I do Maths and Further Maths and haven't got below 93% in any of my 7 modules yet :p: Go for it!

Latest

Trending

Trending