Student Finance 19/20 Guide [APPLICATIONS OPEN TODAY] Watch

murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi everyone

Applications for 2019/20 are now open from 25th February 2019 for SFE and EU Full time students. I would recommend applying as soon as possible.

Below is a guide with all information below taken from the SLC Practitioners website, which will help you apply for your student finance this year.

Biggest change in 19/20
- Childcare students no longer need to complete CCG1 / CCG2 forms. The childcare is now paid directly to the childcare provider. You can apply for the childcare grant when you make your application online and you will be asked for the required evidence

Student Finance England You can apply from Monday 25th February 2019

Eligibility
Please see https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies - if you are still unsure post below

How to apply for 2019/20

You can apply from 25/02/2019 by going to https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

You need to apply for student finance each year. You should apply as soon as the application service opens to make sure your money is ready before the start of your course. The quickest and easiest way to apply for student finance is online. If you have applied for student finance from SFE in the past, you should use your existing login information or if not, you can set up a new account.

When you create an account you will be given a unique Customer Reference Number and be asked to create a password and secret answer. The first time you apply you will be asked for proof of your identity. You can do this by giving SFE your valid UK passport details on your application. If you don’t have a UK passport, you may have to send in evidence, such as a non-UK passport or your UK birth or adoption certificate.

If you want to apply for student finance that depends on your household income, SFE will ask for your parents or partners(If you are over 25) National lnsurance number and their personal income details. HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will check this information matches their records.

SFE may contact your parents or partner to ask for
  • physical evidence of their income, if the details they give don’t match HMRC’s records
  • their marital status – if they are separated or divorced
Your parents or partner will be asked for financial details every year you apply for student finance. If a you can’t apply online you can download an application form and apply via post. These can be found at www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms

What loans are available if you are eligible
Tuition fees
A Tuition Fee Loan covers the cost of the tuition fees charged by the university or college. It’s only available to students studying an eligible:
  • undergraduate course
  • Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course
  • Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
Interest is charged from the day the first payment is made to the student’s university or college.
The Tuition Fee Loan, plus any interest, has to be paid back but not until the student has finished or left their course and their income is over the repayment threshold
What can you get?
  • Students studying at an eligible university or college can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250. Students starting an Accelerated Degree course can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £11,100.
  • Students who are on Erasmus+ and are either studying or on a work placement abroad can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £1,385.
  • Students studying abroad (with less than 10 weeks spent at their university in England) can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £1,385.
  • Students on a work placement year of a sandwich course (with less than 10 weeks spent at their university in England) can get a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £1,850.
How is the tuition fee paid?
The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to the university or college in 3 installments during the academic year.
Students need to register at their university or college before we can make their first payment.
The first two payments are each 25% of the total amount borrowed. The final payment is the remaining 50% of the total amount borrowed.

Repayment
You are charged interest from the day SFE make your first student finance payment until your loan is repaid in full or cancelled.
The interest rate is based on the UK Retail Price Index (RPI) and will vary depending on their circumstances.

You have to repay any loan you borrow but not until the April after you finish or leave your course.
How much you repay each month depends on your income, not how much you borrowed.

You will repay 9% of your income over the repayment threshold, which is currently £25,000 a year, £2,083 a month or £480 a week.
see http://media.slc.co.uk/repayment/qsg/index.html for more info

Maintenance loan

A Maintenance Loan is funding to help with day-to-day costs, such as rent or food, while studying. It’s paid directly to the student. It’s only available to students studying an eligible: undergraduate course Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE). Interest is charged from the day the first payment is made to the student until the loan is repaid in full or cancelled. The Maintenance Loan, plus any interest, has to be paid back but not until the student has finished or left their course and their income is over the repayment threshold.

What is available?

Everyone who is eligible for help with their living costs can get at least some Maintenance Loan. How much they can get depends on where they live while studying. They can also apply for more that's based on their household income.
Attachment 800034

The maximum loan available for 19/20 If you are assessed based on your household income)

- Living with parents £7529
- Studying in London, not living with parents £11672
- Living elsewhere, not with parents £8944
- Living and studying abroad for at least 1 term £10242

Students may be eligible for more Maintenance Loan if they:

• are a single parent or single foster parent of a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time education below higher-education level or on an approved training course
  • have a partner who is also a full-time student and one or both of them is responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time education below higher-education level or on an approved training course
  • have a disability and qualify for the Disability Living Allowance, Disability Premium or Severe Disability Premium
  • qualify for Personal Independence Payment or Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • are deaf and qualify for Disabled Students’ Allowances
  • have been treated as incapable of work for a continuous period of at least 28 weeks
  • have a disability and qualify for income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • are waiting to go back to a course having taken agreed time out from that course due to an illness or caring responsibility that has now ended
  • are studying a course lasts longer than 30 weeks and three days in an academic year
If you have any questions on this list, please post below

How the maintenance loan is paid

Maintenance Loans are paid directly to the student three times a year, normally around the start of each term.
The student must have a UK bank or building society account in their own name and they'll need to register at their university or college before SFE can make the first payment.

Payment status
When you are logged into your online account, the ‘Your finance’ page will show a status next to your payments
  • Awaiting confirmation – You will be paid once your university or college has confirmed you have registered for the course.
  • Scheduled – SFE have got all your evidence and your loan has been approved for payment.
  • Payment in progress – Your payment is on its way. It usually takes up to five working days to reach your bank account.
  • Blocked – You may still need to provide your bank details, or SFE may be validating your National Insurance number. If you are unsure why the payment is blocked then you should call SFE
  • Failed – The payment has been returned to SFE, you should give SFE a call to double check what has happened. Usually it's the bank details that are wrong.

Grants for dependents
If you have children or an adult dependant, and you want to study a full-time undergraduate course or an Initial Teacher Training (ITT) programme, you may be able to get extra help.

Adult Dependant Grant
Adult Dependants Grant is additional funding to help students who are financially responsible for another adult. This grant is available to full-time students studying an eligible: undergraduate course Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) The grant doesn’t usually have to be paid back unless they leave their course early. The grant is paid directly to the student, in addition to any other student finance they can get.

Adult Dependants Grant will affect any income-related benefits and tax credits

What is available
£3007 is the maximum amount of Adult Dependant Grant available for 2019/20. As this is a grant, it does not need to be paid back unless the student leaves the course early.

How to apply
You can apply for ADG when you make your student finance application. If you are stuck with this, please post below for help.

Evidence required
If the student is applying for Adult Dependants’ Grant for their partner, SFE won’t need any additional evidence, as their partner will already be giving SFE their financial details as part of the application process. If the adult dependant isn’t the student’s partner, SFE will ask them for evidence of their taxable income for the previous tax year, such as a P60 or month 12 payslip

Childcare Grant
Childcare Grant is additional income assessed funding to help students with children pay the costs of childcare during study.
Childcare Grant won’t affect any income-related benefits. They must not be in receipt of the Childcare Element of the Working Tax Credit, the Childcare Element Universal Credit, the HMRC tax free childcare or the NHS funded childcare grants at the same time as the Childcare Grant.

What is available
The maximum Childcare Grant for the 2019 to 2020 academic year is:
  • up to £169.31 a week for one child, or up to 85% of their costs (whichever is less)
  • up to £290.27 a week for two or more children, or up to 85% of their costs (whichever is less)
Any remaining childcare costs will have to be paid by the student.

Eligibility
To qualify for Childcare Grant the following must apply:
  • the student is studying a full-time undergraduate, Initial Teacher Training (ITT) or Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) course
  • their child is under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs
  • they're eligible for undergraduate student finance based on their household income they’re a permanent resident in England the children are financially dependent on the student
  • their childcare provider is on the Ofsted Early Years Register or General Childcare Register - they should confirm this with their provider
  • if their child is cared for at home, the carer can’t be a relative and must be registered with an appropriate body - check with Student Finance England
  • they or their partner are not claiming the childcare element of Working Tax Credits or the childcare element of Universal Credit
  • they or their partner are not claiming the HMRC tax free childcare or NHS funded childcare grants

How to apply
Students starting their course from 1 August 2019 can apply for the Childcare Grant online as part of their main student finance application

If the student's application is approved, they'll receive an email from the Childcare Grant Payment Service. This email will direct the student to set up an account with them where they'll be able to pay their childcare provider directly.

Updating the childcare costs
Students can update any of their childcare information by going to the Childcare Grant Payment Service website

Parents Learning Allowance
Parents’ Learning Allowance is additional funding to help students who are also parents. This can be used for everyday costs of study, such as books, study materials and travel.
This is a grant, therefore does not need to be paid back unless the student leaves the course early.

What is available
For 19/20 the maximum available is £1716. This is based on your household income.

How to apply
You can apply for PLA when you make your student finance application. If you are stuck with this, please post below for help.

FAQ
Common questions will be posted and updated here

I am in my final year of study, why has my maintenance loan dropped
Students in their final year will get less Maintenance Loan than previous years. This is because, during study, student finance covers the break between academic years. Students are no longer entitled to financial support once their course has ended.

How much finance will I get
Here are the amounts for 19/20 taken directly from the regulations
Last edited by 04MR17; 4 months ago
murpo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
If you have any questions about 19/20 funding, please post below.

I will continue to update this thread
Last edited by murpo; 6 months ago
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Great thread! :yay:
izthermermaid
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Does anyone have an estimate of the amount I will get?Both years I have been entitled to the maximum maintenance loan, however, I am entering in my third year. I wanted to know how much my loan is likely to drop by.
murpo
Rep:
?
(Original post by izthermermaid)
Does anyone have an estimate of the amount I will get?Both years I have been entitled to the maximum maintenance loan, however, I am entering in my third year. I wanted to know how much my loan is likely to drop by.
Hi

If it's now your final year it will drop.

You can view the amounts here https://imgur.com/a/BjgMJTh
izthermermaid
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by murpo)
Hi

If it's now your final year it will drop.

You can view the amounts here https://imgur.com/a/BjgMJTh
Are these the official amounts for this year [19/20]?

Yes taken from the official regulations here https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/...ic-yearpdf.pdf
murpo
Rep:
?
(Original post by izthermermaid)
Are these the official amounts for this year [19/20]?

Yes taken from the official regulations here https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/...ic-yearpdf.pdf
MrsWright15
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
So how does it work if I’m doing a foundation degree then a BA top up degree ? Do I get reduced finance on year 2 of foundation degree and then again on the top up ? Will be going from top up to PGCE
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MrsWright15)
So how does it work if I’m doing a foundation degree then a BA top up degree ? Do I get reduced finance on year 2 of foundation degree and then again on the top up ? Will be going from top up to PGCE
Yes unfortunately. Because you are eligible to claim benefits in the summer after your foundation degree and the summer after your top up year then SFE take the amount of loan that is there for the summer holidays off your final year both times.
Catherine1973
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi I think the answer is no but I will double check.
I did a degree back in the 1990s (finished it with a 2.1). No grant for me as parents earned too much. I am now applying for a 2 year law degree (still undergraduate). I assume I get no loan to cover fees or maintenance? I have no dependents and working full time right now on decent salary. Live with partner who is an it contractor who is currently between roles. So during my course it’s possible his income will be nil. Not sure how income is assessed for contractors -company results or his tax return.
Should I just do the forms anyway and see? I have the savings to pay anyway but better to take a loan if I can.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
Hi I think the answer is no but I will double check.
I did a degree back in the 1990s (finished it with a 2.1). No grant for me as parents earned too much. I am now applying for a 2 year law degree (still undergraduate). I assume I get no loan to cover fees or maintenance? I have no dependents and working full time right now on decent salary. Live with partner who is an it contractor who is currently between roles. So during my course it’s possible his income will be nil. Not sure how income is assessed for contractors -company results or his tax return.
Should I just do the forms anyway and see? I have the savings to pay anyway but better to take a loan if I can.
There’s no funding for degrees that are equivalent to a level you already hold (except for in a handful of exempt subjects - law isn’t one).

If you already have a degree then it’s usually cheaper/quicker to study a law conversion (GDL usually or sometimes they’re called CPE). There’s still no funding but it’s only one year not two and often the fees are less than £9k.
casinddy_j
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am a non EU spouse of an EU migrant worker. Will I be able to apply for funding? And can my husband be able to meet the 3 year residency rule on my behalf, according to "Special Provision for people studying on courses which started on or after 1 September 2011".
bentcarl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am not a British passport holder but I did acquire my biometric residence permit card on a leave to remain basis around 6 months ago. I have lived in the UK continuously for the past 10 years (half of my lifetime), would I qualify for the tuition loan as a home student?
KSLJKB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’ve submitted for 2019/20 and included 17/18 income as requested.
What do I do if 19/20 income is higher. I don’t know for sure yet but I think there’s a high possibility it could be higher
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by KSLJKB)
I’ve submitted for 2019/20 and included 17/18 income as requested.
What do I do if 19/20 income is higher. I don’t know for sure yet but I think there’s a high possibility it could be higher
You don’t have to do anything.
KSLJKB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Okay thanks for reply
. I wasn’t sure if there would a process to pay anything back.
(Original post by PQ)
You don’t have to do anything.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by KSLJKB)
Okay thanks for reply
. I wasn’t sure if there would a process to pay anything back.
Nope. If you’re still in university in 2021/22 then that will be based on your 2019/20 household income.
lbsmfa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, When will the applications be open for the Mater's courses ? I can only see that you can apply for 2018-2019 courses but not for 2019-2020. Any information would be great
cscottlees
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My legal surname is now different to what is on my passport as I haven't updated my passport yet. But i'm not sure what name I should put on my student finance application. Should I put my legal new name and then when it inevitably flags my application up as my name is different on my passport, I can just provide them with proof of name change? Thanks in advance!
Milliecuthbert
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
This is the same situation i am in. Put your new legal name on the application. They will contact you to tell you it is different and ask for evidence of name change. I sent in my Deed Poll certificate and everything is fine. It would be great to hear back from you on how it went so that we can compare situations and give advice.

Hope this helps.
(Original post by cscottlees)
My legal surname is now different to what is on my passport as I haven't updated my passport yet. But i'm not sure what name I should put on my student finance application. Should I put my legal new name and then when it inevitably flags my application up as my name is different on my passport, I can just provide them with proof of name change? Thanks in advance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19