Is this A-Level Maths Question Possible?

Watch
Baebsae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if this question is actually possible Attachment 781232
3pointonefour
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Attachment not found
Baebsae
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3pointonefour)
Attachment not found
ah okay the question is A(2,8) and B(7,4) lie on a circle. The line segment AB is a chord. Find the equation of the diameter
Baebsae
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
The question is not specific to get one answer. There are infinitely many equations describing the diameter, but only one that is parallel to the chord. So perhaps have a go at that - it's possible.
are you suggesting that it would be in the form of an inequality or ...
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Baebsae)
ah okay the question is A(2,8) and B(7,4) lie on a circle. The line segment AB is a chord. Find the equation of the diameter
u cannot calclate the diament but general eqn of circle is r^2 = (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2. u can make 2 eqns with your coordinates ie 3 unknowns a,b,r (r=0.5d) hence u can determine the relationship of r/d in terms of a & b but not calculate the circles eqn.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Baebsae)
are you suggesting that it would be in the form of an inequality or ...
No.

TBH, upon more thinking, not only are there infinitely many diameters, there are also infinitely many circles satisfying the conditions.

So I want to make two important points:

(1) The question is very unclear on what you need to do, and there are many ways to interpret what it wants.

and (2) we can indeed find this special family of circles that satisfy the conditions, and there is a unique equation of the diameter which is common for every single circle. Observe the following animation: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/cifvr1jydf
The task here, which I presume is what the question wants, is to find the equation of the line that the centre of the circle moves along. This line is clearly the diameter to every single circle we can possibly have under the given conditions.
Last edited by RDKGames; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
17.25%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.43%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (42)
13.42%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise