The Student Room Group

Another generic IB or A level forum... Sorrryyyy

I'm a 16 year old prospective medical student at a Russell Group university (hopefully Manchester or Sheffield). I'm predicted high grades (no lower than 7s with 9 in maths and 8s in all three sciences).

My A level choices would be Biology Chemistry Maths and Psychology or English depending on the different courses and the different schools.

My IB choices would be English Literature SL, Biology HL, Maths (don't know which yet) HL, Spanish SL or ab initio Italian or ab initio Russian SL (complicated... it's a long story) Psychology or Social and Cultural Anthropology HL, and Chemistry HL.

Both schools have agreed to let me do either 4 a levels or 4 higher subjects, as long as I get the grades I need to at GCSE.

I would be fine with the higher workload of IB and love the way it works, I've done EE practises before as part of the wider curriculum at my old school and would do an EPQ if doing A levels.

Basically what I'm asking is if anyone has any fundamental knowledge I need to know about either of these choices, and yes I know it's a popular question. I want to keep my options open but I don't know if it is the best idea...
Reply 1
Chose whichever you feel the most comfortable with. They are both equally respected by universities, and none give you an advantage per se in the admissions process. This is purely a matter of preference.

Quick Reply

Latest