cheese13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can I please get some help on these 2 part?

In this question i and j are unit vectors

A particle P moves with constant acceleration
At time t=0, the particle is at O and is moving with velocity (2i-3j)ms^-2
At time t=2 seconds, P is at the point A with positive vector (7i-10j)m

Show that the magnitude of the acceleration of P is 2.5ms^-2

At that instant when P leaves the point A, the acceleration of P changes so that P moves with constant acceleration (4i+8.8j)ms^-2

At the instant when P reaches the point B, the direction of P is north east

Find the time it takes for P to travel from A to B

Thank You
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aimman_s)
Can I please get some help on these 2 part?

In this question i and j are unit vectors

A particle P moves with constant acceleration
At time t=0, the particle is at O and is moving with velocity (2i-3j)ms^-2
At time t=2 seconds, P is at the point A with positive vector (7i-10j)m
Use these hints

Show that the magnitude of the acceleration of P is 2.5ms^-2
Since acceleration is constant, you can just determine the difference in velocities and divide by time taken to get the acceleration vector.
So consider its magnitude for the answer. So as a first step, try to figure out what the velocity must be at A.

At that instant when P leaves the point A, the acceleration of P changes so that P moves with constant acceleration (4i+8.8j)ms^-2

At the instant when P reaches the point B, the direction of P is north east

Find the time it takes for P to travel from A to B

Thank You
So the particle now has a different acceleration vector, which is still constant.

In fact, you can write down the displacement vector using the equation \mathbf{s} =\mathbf{s}_0 + \mathbf{u} t + \dfrac{1}{2} \mathbf{a} t^2 where \mathbf{s}_0 is the position vector A, \mathbf{u} is the velocity vector at A, and \mathbf{a} is the acceleration.. with t being the time, of course.

You are told that when P reaches B, it is in the north-east direction. So now think about what this means vector wise. This must mean that it's on the vector \mathbf{i} + \mathbf{j} (or some arbitrary size of it... it's just the direction that we care about) but the point is that every single position which we would consider to be 'north-east' must have it's \mathbf{i} component equal to \mathbf{j} component, and they must be positive.

Since the position of P is described by \mathbf{s} we can use this fact and equation the two components, hence obtain a quadratic for t and solve it.
Last edited by RDKGames; 2 years ago
cheese13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
Use these hints

Since acceleration is constant, you can just determine the difference in velocities and divide by time taken to get the acceleration vector.
So consider its magnitude for the answer. So as a first step, try to figure out what the velocity must be at A.

So the particle now has a different acceleration vector, which is still constant.

In fact, you can write down the displacement vector using the equation \mathbf{s} =\mathbf{s}_0 + \mathbf{u} t + \dfrac{1}{2} \mathbf{a} t^2 where \mathbf{s}_0 is the position vector A, \mathbf{u} is the velocity vector at A, and \mathbf{a} is the acceleration.. with t being the time, of course.

You are told that when P reaches B, it is in the north-east direction. So now think about what this means vector wise. This must mean that it's on the vector \mathbf{i} + \mathbf{j} (or some arbitrary size of it... it's just the direction that we care about) but the point is that every single position which we would consider to be 'north-east' must have it's \mathbf{i} component equal to \mathbf{j} component, and they must be positive.

Since the position of P is described by \mathbf{s} we can use this fact and equation the two components, hence obtain a quadratic for t and solve it.
so for part a I subtracted (7i-10j) from (2i-3j) divising it all by 2 as that is time taken to get acceleration
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aimman_s)
so for part a I subtracted (7i-10j) from (2i-3j) divising it all by 2 as that is time taken to get acceleration
That's incorrect, because 7i-10j is a position vector, whereas 2i-3j is a velocity vector. You cannot subtract them and get a meaningful quantity.

EDIT: And TBH, I think you may as well just slap on the s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 formula on it instead (just as you would in part b). You know s, u, and t. Solve for a.
Last edited by RDKGames; 2 years ago
JW8680
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
That's incorrect, because 7i-10j is a position vector, whereas 2i-3j is a velocity vector. You cannot subtract them and get a meaningful quantity.

EDIT: And TBH, I think you may as well just slap on the s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 formula on it instead (just as you would in part b). You know s, u, and t. Solve for a.
Just run into this question myself, managed to do part a but a little stuck with b, any help would be appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (166)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (498)
14.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (379)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (474)
13.97%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (164)
4.83%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (208)
6.13%
Loneliness (288)
8.49%
Financial worries (122)
3.59%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (137)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (155)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (186)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (302)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise