The Student Room Group

HND after 2 years of a degree

I did 2 years of a degree but didn’t pass all the units in my second year and had to leave. Can I be funded to do a 1-Year HND in the same subject?
Original post by Jermaine92
I did 2 years of a degree but didn’t pass all the units in my second year and had to leave. Can I be funded to do a 1-Year HND in the same subject?

Hi Jermaine,

As you already have two years of previous study this would be taken into account when checking your entitlement for future funding.

We would do the following calculation to work out your funding;

NEW COURSE + ADDITIONAL YEAR - PREVIOUS STUDY YEARS = ENTITLEMENT

Therefore your calculation would be as follows;

1 + 1 = 2 - 2 = 0 years

Unfortunately you wouldn't have any funding left available to do a one year HND unless it's an exception course which may mean you would have funding available.

What course and university will you be studying at?

Thanks, Holly.
Reply 2
Thanks Holly but I don’t get it:

Assuming that I can get 3 years’ funding:

New course (1yr HND, I don’t need to do the additional year) - previous study years (2 of a 3 year course) = entitlement to 1 more year’s funding.

I did 2 years at Camberwell and have been offered a 1 year HND course at Dagenham FE College which is more practically based and would suit me better.
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Holly
Hi Jermaine,

As you already have two years of previous study this would be taken into account when checking your entitlement for future funding.

We would do the following calculation to work out your funding;

NEW COURSE + ADDITIONAL YEAR - PREVIOUS STUDY YEARS = ENTITLEMENT

Therefore your calculation would be as follows;

1 + 1 = 2 - 2 = 0 years

Unfortunately you wouldn't have any funding left available to do a one year HND unless it's an exception course which may mean you would have funding available.

What course and university will you be studying at?

Thanks, Holly.

New course (1yr HND, I don’t need to do the additional year) - previous study years (2 of a 3 year course) = entitlement to 1 more year’s funding.

I did 2 years at Camberwell and have been offered a 1 year HND course at Dagenham FE College which is more practically based and would suit me better.
Original post by Jermaine92

Hi Jermaine,

You aren't necessarily entitled to 3 years of funding, all student's are entitled to funding for the duration of a course plus 1 additional year (also known as the gift year).

Therefore, in this instance it would be 1 (Length of HND course) + 1 (Gift Year) but then we would need to deduct any previous study.

So, we use the previous study calculation to work out what funding is left available.

1 (Duration of your new course) + 1 (Gift Year) = 2 - 2 (Previous Study) = 0 (Years of Funding Available)

Therefore, unfortunately we would be unable to pay for tuition fees for this course, however you may be entitled to a maintenance loan and supplementary grants (if applicable) providing you don't already have an equivalent level qualification.

Thanks, Holly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending