The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackpanther93
Yes, but why’s that a problem? If they are not hurting anyone then I don’t think it is. Muslims in the UK might be classed as still far behind, but they are not harming anyone.

It's when they start asking for special treatment
Original post by Wooord
That’s why there are different sects. They believe they are right in their own sense. We don’t need to tell people that they are following their religion “correctly” or not, unless they are hurting someone. We interpret literature today all the time, we all have our different meaning and understandings.

Wait, if they believe they are in the right, and that they have the right interpretation. How do you then know that your interpretation of the scripture is correct? What if this other sect is the one that is in the right and not your sect?

So when these Islamic states are carrying out atrocities across the world, they could be following the correct interpretation?
Original post by Hailey.Lennon
It's when they start asking for special treatment

Well you could have just started the conversation with that. What kind of special treatment do they ask for ? That doesn’t have anything to do with their religion does it ? That sounds like a personal problem, not theirs.
Original post by Blackpanther93
No. Pakistan is not run by sharia law. My point was following on from yours. You said putting women in power is ironic, since it’s against Islam, I said it’s also against Christianity but so called “Christian countries” still put women in power, so it is also ironic.

Yes, Pakistan is still run by sharia law. And as I said most Western countries are secular. So, what Christian countries do you know that put women in power?
Why does it make a difference if they are hurting someone? What makes it 'incorrect' exactly?

If it isn’t incorrect then why do we condemn it ? Why do we put murders in prison ? There’s a massive difference between not hurting someone and hurting someone. I don’t quite understand what you mean by that ?
Original post by Captain flatbum
Wait, if they believe they are in the right, and that they have the right interpretation. How do you then know that your interpretation of the scripture is correct? What if this other sect is the one that is in the right and not your sect?

So when these Islamic states are carrying out atrocities across the world, they could be following the correct interpretation?

We could say the same about any two religions: what makes Sikhs correct over Hindus? Or Christians over Jews?
In their eyes they think they are correct. They literally kill anyone that isn’t a terrorist. They kill innocent Muslims from their own countries and innocent non-Muslims in others. Others Muslims have repeatedly said how terrorists contradict Islam massively.
It's a shame that many of those who practice Islam are yet to catch up.

Its more of a culutral thing rather than a relgion thing of women not being able to work, getting married off as soon as compulsary education has finished, not having a voice etc.

Culture and relgion shouldnt be mixed up.
Original post by Wooord
If it isn’t incorrect then why do we condemn it ? Why do we put murders in prison ? There’s a massive difference between not hurting someone and hurting someone. I don’t quite understand what you mean by that ?

Why is it wrong for a Muslim to be able to interpret the teachings in a way that harms people? Putting aside punishment, why are Muslims allowed to say that Muslims who commit these atrocities aren't real Muslims?
Original post by Marahahaha
Its more of a culutral thing rather than a relgion thing of women not being able to work, getting married off as soon as compulsary education has finished, not having a voice etc.

Tell that to the people who reject British culture because it doesn't align with how they interpret their religion.
Tell that to the people who reject British culture because it doesn't align with how they interpret their religion.

Examples?

Spoiler

Examples?

Spoiler

My mistake, Western Culture.
My mistake, Western Culture.

Give me examples of how people reject 'western culture' because of religion?

Yes, but religion is the cornerstone for most of these cultures. And the foundation for most Eastern countries and South Asian cultures is Islam.

So most of the blame if not all should be placed on Islam, no?
(edited 5 years ago)
Why is it wrong for a Muslim to be able to interpret the teachings in a way that harms people? Putting aside punishment, why are Muslims allowed to say that Muslims who commit these atrocities aren't real Muslims?

The same way murdering anyone, for any reason is wrong. Why shouldn’t they be allowed to say they aren’t real Muslims, if they believe that terrorists are not Muslim, then that’s what they believe. It’s the same thing. In their eyes, they are correct in thinking that Islam is not about killing people that disagree with you. The same way we criticize Islamic terrorism by saying its wrong.
@Rainfall are you a terrorist...sorry feminist?

The troll from yesterday. Of course. The creep, the hypocrite, the it.
Original post by Wooord
We could say the same about any two religions: what makes Sikhs correct over Hindus? Or Christians over Jews?
In their eyes they think they are correct. They literally kill anyone that isn’t a terrorist. They kill innocent Muslims from their own countries and innocent non-Muslims in others. Others Muslims have repeatedly said how terrorists contradict Islam massively.

So in your eyes your interpreation is correct? But what if you are wrong. And ISIS who a lot of liberal Muslims in the west are saying are not Muslims are actually following the correct scripture of the religion?
Yes, Pakistan is still run by sharia law. And as I said most Western countries are secular. So, what Christian countries do you know that put women in power?

No it isn’t. What makes you think that? The USA is a classed as a Christian country, there are women in power over there, Liberia also had a female in power, Croatia is another example. This is just from the top of my head, I’m sure if I researched I could find more. There are many “Christian” countries.
Original post by Rainfall

I had a **** over that pic btw. Want me to send it to you again?
Yes, but religion is the cornerstone for most of these cultures. And the foundation for most Eastern countries and South Asian cultures is Islam.

So most of the blame if not all should be placed on Islam, no?

Hahahahaha. No.

No where in Islam does it say that a woman is inferior to a man. It's culture which says women should get married as soon as compulsary education is finished, that women shouldn't work etc etc.

Are you a Muslim woman from a South Asian culure to be able to comment? No?

So please stop making assumptions x
Original post by Rainfall

Press the report again if you have to.

Latest

Trending

Trending