anonymous2556
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to do biology, chemistry, maths and then either psychology or economics as a level. I am rather academic and am planning to apply to Cambrdige.

As you can probably tell, I prefer subjects which are not essay based and which require you to learn knowledge and pretty much regurgitate it back during the exam. I know economics includes quite a few 25 mark/15 mark essays, which is why I'm hesitant, so if anyone has any information about the a level and how much essays play a part in it - I would hugely appreciate it.

Also, if anyone does psychology a level - how is it and is it hard to learn all the content/various studies?
Hasham123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
essays play quite a big part in economics and multiple choice makes up maybe 15% of the marks

though for anything less than a 25 marker you can just regurgitate facts and get a good mark
Last edited by Hasham123; 1 year ago
preet1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anonymous2556)
I want to do biology, chemistry, maths and then either psychology or economics as a level. I am rather academic and am planning to apply to Cambrdige.

As you can probably tell, I prefer subjects which are not essay based and which require you to learn knowledge and pretty much regurgitate it back during the exam. I know economics includes quite a few 25 mark/15 mark essays, which is why I'm hesitant, so if anyone has any information about the a level and how much essays play a part in it - I would hugely appreciate it.

Also, if anyone does psychology a level - how is it and is it hard to learn all the content/various studies?
Hey There!

Ive done Psychology, Geography and Economics and got AAA in my A levels.

Psychology is predominantly essay based, you have to write 2-3 16 markers in each paper (theres normally 3 papers in the entire A2).

Economics is very essay based aswell, you have Section A which is like a bit of small questions, then essay questions after that in Section B.
Economics has 4 units for what i know ( i did Edexcel). Its broken down into Unit 1 and 3 = micro. Unit 2 and 4 = Macro. I can guarantee you will love Economics and get an A*/A grade if you buy the Uplearn revision course (its worth every penny and explains how i got an A) then you have nothing to worry about because they teach you how to write essays better than everyone else, you'll probably be the top of the class after using i (i sure was).

Psychology is easier to come to terms with content wise but theres a lot to remember, but people do tend to find it easy. Its stuff like remembering experiments and what a researcher did etc and then you evaluate it like ' this supports' or 'this doesnt support because'. Thats the entire Psychology course in a nutshell, just theres different topics like memory etc. Uplearn that revision website i mentioned is still completing their psychology course so it will be up soon, but im not sure when.

Have a look at exam papers for both subjects to see what you like, hope this helps but no matter what you choose, work hard and you'l be fine, especially if you use Uplearn xx
anonymous2556
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by preet1234)
Hey There!

Ive done Psychology, Geography and Economics and got AAA in my A levels.

Psychology is predominantly essay based, you have to write 2-3 16 markers in each paper (theres normally 3 papers in the entire A2).

Economics is very essay based aswell, you have Section A which is like a bit of small questions, then essay questions after that in Section B.
Economics has 4 units for what i know ( i did Edexcel). Its broken down into Unit 1 and 3 = micro. Unit 2 and 4 = Macro. I can guarantee you will love Economics and get an A*/A grade if you buy the Uplearn revision course (its worth every penny and explains how i got an A) then you have nothing to worry about because they teach you how to write essays better than everyone else, you'll probably be the top of the class after using i (i sure was).

Psychology is easier to come to terms with content wise but theres a lot to remember, but people do tend to find it easy. Its stuff like remembering experiments and what a researcher did etc and then you evaluate it like ' this supports' or 'this doesnt support because'. Thats the entire Psychology course in a nutshell, just theres different topics like memory etc. Uplearn that revision website i mentioned is still completing their psychology course so it will be up soon, but im not sure when.

Have a look at exam papers for both subjects to see what you like, hope this helps but no matter what you choose, work hard and you'l be fine, especially if you use Uplearn xx
Thank you so much! I've never heard of up learn, but will definitely be checking it out now!
If you had to choose, which one of economics or psychology did you find easiest? And which one would you say is easiest for a studentwho prefers the sciences in general?
pereira325
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Psychology and economics at A-Level are quite heavily essay based.

Two different topics though so pick the subject you think you will have a greater interest in.

I did A-Level economics actually and it really was mostly remembering definitions / theories so that actually seems to fit your criteria.

And, it was so not bad I took it for undergraduate studies from 2 years ago
georgew1996
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey everyone,

Im selling my AQA Economics notes on a legitamite site called Stuvia for £12.50 each, these sets of notes have been made based on the specification and had helped me achieve an A* with marks of 98/100 ums in unit 3 and 100/100 ums in unit 4. Hope these notes can save you a lot of time and allow you to receive the marks I had achieved. Good luck!

AQA Economics Unit 3 ECON3 full notes (38 pages) http://www.stuvia.com/doc/474072

AQA Economics Unit 4 ECON4 full notes (33 pages) http://www.stuvia.com/doc/474073
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads