Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lemur14
Yep still against the rules.

This kind of level is alright, but no specifics please everyone :smile:

How was yours? Mine was fine
Original post by r_gup
How was yours? Mine was fine

So-so. Didn't solve as much as I would have liked, but hopefully I'll have picked up lots of part marks for stuff I did.
Glad yours was fine :smile:
Original post by david_2000
Was it just me or did anyone else find that paper really good? Only got stuck on one of the questions, but I can't see where I would've lost marks on any of the other questions. How did everyone else find it?

Did you have the privilege of doing both PAT and MAT simultaneously today? Cause you posted this exactly on the PAT thread.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5490714&page=6
Barely had time to read question 5 let alone answer it, and MC was harder than usual i thought, but rest was alright. I think I'll be lucky to get an interview now...
I took both the MAT and TMUA today, had to spend 2 hours in quarantine between exams. Question 4 and the *question redacted* questions stumped me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Lemur14

When can we start properly discussing the paper?
Original post by squingo44
I took both the MAT and TMUA today, had to spend 2 hours in quarantine between exams. Question 4 and the *question redacted* questions stumped me.

Yeah I also did this, how did you find part 2?
(edited 5 years ago)
i took both the mat and tmua today, had to spend 2 hours in quarantine between exams. Question 4 and the *question redacted* questions stumped me.

stop posting questions please!!!!
People are still yet to take the exam.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by speedstyle
when can we start properly discussing the paper?

tomorrow when the mat prep thread opens.
I found the multiple choice quite nice actually, managed to do it in about 20-25 minutes, nothing really stumped me which was a nice change of pace. Usually at least one queston towards the end that throws me. Wasn't a fan of Q4 but I scrambled my way through it. Everything else was quite nice. Overall, quite happy with how it went, fingers crossed!

For those who applied for maths at Oxford (I imagine that would be most people here), when do you reckon we would hear about an interview?
Original post by JackMac2904
I found the multiple choice quite nice actually, managed to do it in about 20-25 minutes, nothing really stumped me which was a nice change of pace. Usually at least one queston towards the end that throws me. Wasn't a fan of Q4 but I scrambled my way through it. Everything else was quite nice. Overall, quite happy with how it went, fingers crossed!

For those who applied for maths at Oxford (I imagine that would be most people here), when do you reckon we would hear about an interview?

usually between November 22nd to December 1st. The better you do the earlier you hear back I think, because they know they want you.
Original post by Rohan77642
The better you do the earlier you hear back

Don't say that man xD I'm going to be progressively getting more stressed for every second I don't hear back lmao
Don't say that man xD I'm going to be progressively getting more stressed for every second I don't hear back lmao

*I think. Might be completely wrong.
*I think. Might be completely wrong.

Nah, I'm just kidding, I think it's quite plausable that, that could be the case.
Nah, I'm just kidding, I think it's quite plausable that, that could be the case.

It went well for you, so it's all good. No worries.
Reply 35
The computer Science questions were tough, when will the answer key com out?
It went well for you, so it's all good. No worries.

I hope so, good luck to you, and to everyone else!
Reply 37
Original post by Lemur14

Is this definitely OK?

Information such as "question x was really hard, I wasted a lot of time on part y" can be helpful to people who haven't taken the paper. Just asking since for Olympiads there are fairly strict online discussion embargoes. :smile:
Original post by Thrypuro
The computer Science questions were tough, when will the answer key com out?

Question 7 was quite a standard problem, at least if you've done anything remotely similar to Olympiad problems, I can explain my thought process once the problems are made public. Question 6 was trickier though, everyone I've talked to has agreed that it was hard.

Same, except we didn't get as long as 2 hours. Agreed with both of those (but I've had to remove the question since we can't discuss it yet!)
Original post by speedstyle
When can we start properly discussing the paper?

Tomorrow morning :smile: The official threads will reopen at 8:15 and anything is fine from then :smile:

usually between November 22nd to December 1st. The better you do the earlier you hear back I think, because they know they want you.

That's a myth. When you hear back depends on your college, who each have different methods of ordering it whether that be alphabetically, the order they decide or any number of other orders. Hearing back later is likely to mean your college has got behind schedule in shortlisting and doesn't indicate anything about your score.
Original post by A02
Is this definitely OK?

Information such as "question x was really hard, I wasted a lot of time on part y" can be helpful to people who haven't taken the paper. Just asking since for Olympiads there are fairly strict online discussion embargoes. :smile:

That is the rule we've been given :dontknow: UKMT challenges are the same, you can say question x was easy/hard but no maths is allowed. I think the main difference here is there's so few questions that it actually means something to people. But I'm happy that sufficiently few people will be left to sit it at this point so will leave this up and make sure to take a look at the any policies on it before next year :smile: (I did look before this year and couldn't find anything specific but I'll have a more detailed search when I'm not prepping for it myself!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending