Listening to music while making flashcards?

Watch
anonymous_1947
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm obviously aware that actively studying the information while listening to music (especially with lyrics) is a big no-no - however would it be acceptable to listen to music while making your study materials as this can get quite time-consuming and insipid at the best of times? Would listening be a hindrance or not?

Cheers in advance.
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonymous_1947)
Hi,

I'm obviously aware that actively studying the information while listening to music (especially with lyrics) is a big no-no - however would it be acceptable to listen to music while making your study materials as this can get quite time-consuming and insipid at the best of times? Would listening be a hindrance or not?

Cheers in advance.
I always studied with music on. Couldn’t work without it. Maybe try soundtracks, generally don’t have works and epic boss battle music is quite nice when you are getting through a hard bit as it helps me to focus. I mainly listened to fantasy stuff.
iyysha
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
if I'm being completely honest, i hate listing to music while studying as - although i am not paying attention to the lyrics i do seem to think about the song which is bad as writing on the flashcards itself is a method of revision. However, if your really bored which EVERYONE GETS writing as it is so boring ): I would recommend watching a video about that topic in the background, E.G - if you're doing p3 flashcards ( physics 3 ) watch a video in the background explaining p3. This way even if you are not paying attention to your flashcards and are just writing on them you are still listening to what they are saying!
Hope this made sense lmao x
LlamaLikeEllie
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If I'm doing them for revision purposes, then no, I just listen to piano music or something. But if I'm doing them because I have to for homework, or because they need doing, then I will listen to music as it can get quite tedious if not
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonymous_1947)
Hi,

Cheers in advance.
Why not try it out and find out if it works for you? What makes you think it's not acceptable?

I always revise with music. It helps me to focus and ignore background noise. I never play my favourite song since it'll make me listen more to the lyrics than the actual beat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads