The Student Room Group

I have a CIFAS marker - will it show up in pre employment checks? Will I get jobs?

Hi. Last year I fell for a text I believed to be from my bank and entered my details in the link. It turned out it was fraudsters who used my account to commit fraud. My account got closed and the bank believed I was involved. When I complained they said at the very least I was grossly negligent which I can accept. As a result of these events I have a CIFAS Cat 6 flag to my name. I want to apply for graduate schemes and have noticed that they said they carry out pre-employment checks. I have no other criminal convictions or anything else. Will the CIFAS marker come up? Will it now prevent me from getting any good jobs? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi. Last year I fell for a text I believed to be from my bank and entered my details in the link. It turned out it was fraudsters who used my account to commit fraud. My account got closed and the bank believed I was involved. When I complained they said at the very least I was grossly negligent which I can accept. As a result of these events I have a CIFAS Cat 6 flag to my name. I want to apply for graduate schemes and have noticed that they said they carry out pre-employment checks. I have no other criminal convictions or anything else. Will the CIFAS marker come up? Will it now prevent me from getting any good jobs? Thanks.

Best speak to CIFAS to see if they do such a check. It will also cause a problem if you apply for things like civil service or joining professional bodies as they ask you to disclose any areas that might be of interest in your financial record such as bankruptcy etc.

It will depend on which employer and what type of job plus what checks they do.Legal and financial are also going to be an issue.

Start by talking with cifas and check your credit records to see what it says. Male a subject access request.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Best speak to CIFAS to see if they do such a check. It will also cause a problem if you apply for things like civil service or joining professional bodies as they ask you to disclose any areas that might be of interest in your financial record such as bankruptcy etc.

It will depend on which employer and what type of job plus what checks they do.Legal and financial are also going to be an issue.

Start by talking with cifas and check your credit records to see what it says. Male a subject access request.

I have contacted CIFAS already for a SAR and saw a CIFAS Cat 6 marker for me placed by HSBC. That made my heart drop because I actually aimed for working in the civil service. Is there any way I can explain that I was a victim of identity theft to them? I know I was very naive believing that text was from my bank but I do not see why I should suffer career wise as if I am the criminal.
I have contacted CIFAS already for a SAR and saw a CIFAS Cat 6 marker for me placed by HSBC. That made my heart drop because I actually aimed for working in the civil service. Is there any way I can explain that I was a victim of identity theft to them? I know I was very naive believing that text was from my bank but I do not see why I should suffer career wise as if I am the criminal.

Join a credit reference organisation like Noddle and see what your credit check records. Then yes, of course you can explain that you were the victim of a fraud, but the bank placed the marker because they determined it was negligence on your part, which you view as naiivety, but accept their business stance. Job done. These things aren't an automatic fail, same as offences that show on a DBS check, each company takes it's own view of the probity/decency/honesty of the individual. Keep all the paperwork in a neat file incase you have to prove what happened.
Reply 4

Are you certain that civil service background checks show CIFAS markers?
Are you certain that civil service background checks show CIFAS markers?

Not sure what the exact background checks are, but there will be credit checks especially if you come into contact with sensitive information, which is typical for the civil service..

If you got a cat 6 then the bank believe you were involved rather than your claim of identity fraud. We dont have the details or the banks side.
There is apparently a victim of identity fraud marker that only lasts for 13 months but I believe a cat 6 lasts for 6 years. The bank may very well be justified in giving you the marker. Talk to cifas about how to get it removed although that will mean persuading the bank. Seems to me you permitted your account to be used for money laundering. They will have the details. It happens to thousands of teenagers.

From an employers perspective that. inst ideal as it points towards a poor sense of judgement and vulnerability.

You can try making a complaint to the bank and then taking it to the financial services ombudsman.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html
Reply 6
Not sure what the exact background checks are, but there will be credit checks especially if you come into contact with sensitive information, which is typical for the civil service..

If you got a cat 6 then the bank believe you were involved rather than your claim of identity fraud. We dont have the details or the banks side.
There is apparently a victim of identity fraud marker that only lasts for 13 months but I believe a cat 6 lasts for 6 years. The bank may very well be justified in giving you the marker. Talk to cifas about how to get it removed although that will mean persuading the bank. Seems to me you permitted your account to be used for money laundering. They will have the details. It happens to thousands of teenagers.

From an employers perspective that. inst ideal as it points towards a poor sense of judgement and vulnerability.

You can try making a complaint to the bank and then taking it to the financial services ombudsman.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html

I have researched this a lot and the bank issue these markers to other people who have fallen for these scams and are not directly involved in the fraud themselves. I simply panicked when I saw the text and on the link the page looked just like HSBC’s log in page and I entered my details with urgency as the text said I had sent out a payment and I know I had not. I did not even know what money laundering was at the time. I’m currently in the process of dealing with the financial ombudsman though they are taking a while and seem to rarely side with the consumers.
I have researched this a lot and the bank issue these markers to other people who have fallen for these scams and are not directly involved in the fraud themselves. I simply panicked when I saw the text and on the link the page looked just like HSBC’s log in page and I entered my details with urgency as the text said I had sent out a payment and I know I had not. I did not even know what money laundering was at the time. I’m currently in the process of dealing with the financial ombudsman though they are taking a while and seem to rarely side with the consumers.

Well if you are interested in the civil service you should contact them and seek some guidance on what they expect.
I would declare it if asked and probably declare it before any searches so it looked like I wasnt hiding anything. It does call into question your judgement though and with civil service jobs you will be handling confidential information. GL.

The problem you have is the category of CIFAS marker that HSBC has registered against you - first party fraud. The fact that you are, by this marker, implicated somehow in the fraud (even if only by gross negligence) is going to be problematic when you apply for a job, particularly where probity or prudence is required (law, civil service, financial services, accounting/audit etc).

Without the details, it's impossible to say whether the marker has been issued fairly or not. I can just answer your question regarding whether or not this is going to have an effect on employability where a credit check forms part of the application. The answer to that, unequivocably, is 'yes'.
Reply 9
Original post by Reality Check
The problem you have is the category of CIFAS marker that HSBC has registered against you - first party fraud. The fact that you are, by this marker, implicated somehow in the fraud (even if only by gross negligence) is going to be problematic when you apply for a job, particularly where probity or prudence is required (law, civil service, financial services, accounting/audit etc).

Without the details, it's impossible to say whether the marker has been issued fairly or not. I can just answer your question regarding whether or not this is going to have an effect on employability where a credit check forms part of the application. The answer to that, unequivocably, is 'yes'.

Wow. To think that my whole life aiming towards civil service - working hard in my GCSEs, A levels, uni...only for it to be gone within seconds over a stupid naive error because of a stupid text. I see why some people end it all.
Wow. To think that my whole life aiming towards civil service - working hard in my GCSEs, A levels, uni...only for it to be gone within seconds over a stupid naive error because of a stupid text. I see why some people end it all.

That's a little bit melodramatic, don't you think :smile:

No-one, including me, has suggested that your future is over, somehow, or it's game over. It's a serious problem, yes - and one about which you need to be totally transparent and prepared to have to explain multiple times. But it's not unassailable.

I don't think the civil service can see CIFAS markers in their pre-employment checks. Only if you want to work in the security department.
(Original post by 999tigger)Best speak to CIFAS to see if they do such a check. It will also cause a problem if you apply for things like civil service or joining professional bodies as they ask you to disclose any areas that might be of interest in your financial record such as bankruptcy etc.

This is incorrect. The civil service don't carry out credit checks, they do: Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) and Enhanced Baseline Standard (EBS)
Counter Terrorist Check
Security Check
Developed Vetting

None of this involves looking at your finances.

This is incorrect. The civil service don't carry out credit checks, they do: Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) and Enhanced Baseline Standard (EBS)
Counter Terrorist Check
Security Check
Developed Vetting

None of this involves looking at your finances.
Hahahahaha this guy is a total liar, having received a cifas cat 6 myself I can safely say it IS ONLY FOR FIRST PARTY FRAUD why lie about your situation on this site no one cares buddy, you may have been young n dumb like me and seen an opportunity for quick cash but you defo knew what you were doing and now you have to pay the consequences 😂🤦*♂️
Could you get yours removed? I’m trying to get mine removed ASAP! Is the financial ombudsman service any good? Yeah and I don’t think the civil service can see the marker. But when they carry out “developed vetting” on diplomatic and security positions they can, so avoid the security check and developed vetting in general. Apply for different roles, maybe commercial.
Its visible for 6 years
6 years dude nothing you can do, I’m 20 now and I did it when I was 16 so still 2 years to go, warning however DO NOT!! I repeat DO NOT take it to court, by doing so you are admitting to first party fraud and can get anything from 5-15 years so yeah defo better to just take it on the chin brother haha
Original post by Stratman173
6 years dude nothing you can do, I’m 20 now and I did it when I was 16 so still 2 years to go, warning however DO NOT!! I repeat DO NOT take it to court, by doing so you are admitting to first party fraud and can get anything from 5-15 years so yeah defo better to just take it on the chin brother haha

Did it affect you getting a job?
Original post by Stratman173

Whattttt you’re lying!! how could i get 5 - 15 years for something I didn’t do??? I’m not admitting first party fraud, I’m challenging it. My best option at the moment is ombudsman financial services which is where most CIFAS cases are heard. Although the success rates are very low, I generally have nothing to hide and at the end of the day i can hope they resolve it as a miscommunication because to me I didn’t know why my account closed down and to them they are unaware whether i was involved or not so closed my account to reduce their risk. Someone who had a similar case to me had their marker removed and compensated. It literally had the same facts as me and metro were penalised for not only investigating it poorly, but for not asking the account holder about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending