The Student Room Group

MLAT Oxford

I think I really messed up the MLAT today. Just forgot everything. What are my chances of interview? I think I got below half marks to be honest :frown:
Original post by Garrixer
I think I really messed up the MLAT today. Just forgot everything. What are my chances of interview? I think I got below half marks to be honest :frown:

How is the rest of your application? w.g. predicted grades and gcses, how was your personal statement. If they are very good, they may overlook your mlat score. Besides, they interview about 82% of people so you have good chances. Which languages did you apply for?
Reply 2
Original post by annajohnson00
How is the rest of your application? w.g. predicted grades and gcses, how was your personal statement. If they are very good, they may overlook your mlat score. Besides, they interview about 82% of people so you have good chances. Which languages did you apply for?

I think my personal statement is pretty strong. I go to a pretty rubbish state school and got 4 A* 6As at GCSE, including an A* in French and German, so not the best but good in comparison to the rest of the school. Predicted grades are 3 As. I applied for French single honours. What do you think?
I think my personal statement is pretty strong. I go to a pretty rubbish state school and got 4 A* 6As at GCSE, including an A* in French and German, so not the best but good in comparison to the rest of the school. Predicted grades are 3 As. I applied for French single honours. What do you think?

they definitely look at gces in context by using a calculator thing to compare it to the other grades your school got, so that is a good sign. Did you get much preparation for the mlat? I think they are aware that some schools aren't as helpful for it so I think they should be fine about it. What was it on the test that you felt went so wrong? I did it too and there were a few words I didn't know.
Reply 4
Original post by annajohnson00
they definitely look at gces in context by using a calculator thing to compare it to the other grades your school got, so that is a good sign. Did you get much preparation for the mlat? I think they are aware that some schools aren't as helpful for it so I think they should be fine about it. What was it on the test that you felt went so wrong? I did it too and there were a few words I didn't know.

I had hardly any preparation for the MLAT. My teacher just went over a past paper with me twice. We don’t really focus on grammar very strongly in lessons. I thought the preposition bit was hard. The verbs were fine. Translation from French to English wasn’t too bad but my English to French was appalling. I google translated it (I know it’s not very reliable) but I was way off on those questions.
I had hardly any preparation for the MLAT. My teacher just went over a past paper with me twice. We don’t really focus on grammar very strongly in lessons. I thought the preposition bit was hard. The verbs were fine. Translation from French to English wasn’t too bad but my English to French was appalling. I google translated it (I know it’s not very reliable) but I was way off on those questions.

I believe the Mlat is not necessarily a deal breaker so work hard and hope you get an interview. I know this year (my daughter started this year) that there were some students down a week or so before the others for revision! So don't despair.
Reply 6
Original post by melliottme
I believe the Mlat is not necessarily a deal breaker so work hard and hope you get an interview. I know this year (my daughter started this year) that there were some students down a week or so before the others for revision! So don't despair.

That’s encouraging. I just think if I get an interview I will be very happy and it’ll be an achievement in itself. I’m better at spoken side of things rather than the finer grammar points so fingers crossed I get that far! When did your daughter find out she got an interview?
That’s encouraging. I just think if I get an interview I will be very happy and it’ll be an achievement in itself. I’m better at spoken side of things rather than the finer grammar points so fingers crossed I get that far! When did your daughter find out she got an interview?

It was no more than a week before the interviews. The language interview stays are longer than most. A single language is maybe 3 days my daughter wanted to do a joint German and abinitio Russian she went down Sunday or Monday and came back the Saturday.
If you get an interview I will ask her to PM you so you know his it works if you want.
Reply 8
Original post by melliottme
It was no more than a week before the interviews. The language interview stays are longer than most. A single language is maybe 3 days my daughter wanted to do a joint German and abinitio Russian she went down Sunday or Monday and came back the Saturday.
If you get an interview I will ask her to PM you so you know his it works if you want.

That would be excellent thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest