My journey goign through A-levels with not so great GCSE grades

So I started off with fairly low grades in my GCSE's, I got;
6 - English lang
4- English lit
U - Geography
1 - Computer science
5,5 - Science
4 - Maths

so yeah my grades were pretty crap but my choices for A-levels and BTEC's where wide, so far I am doing BTEC sport, BTEC Applied Science, and BTEC Business but will hopefully replace it with A-level media studies
Original post by Eithus
So I started off with fairly low grades in my GCSE's, I got;
6 - English lang
4- English lit
U - Geography
1 - Computer science
5,5 - Science
4 - Maths

so yeah my grades were pretty crap but my choices for A-levels and BTEC's where wide, so far I am doing BTEC sport, BTEC Applied Science, and BTEC Business but will hopefully replace it with A-level media studies

How are you doing 3 btecs ? I suppose you could do another A level in Biology as you already a grade 4 in Maths and 2 Grade 5s in Core and Additional and then combine that with btec sports studies, but make sure you look at the units in the given btec , some universities require certain units in order to enrol on their degree A level Media Studies, A level Biology with Btec level 3 sport studies; https://my.sacu-student.com/sacustudent/f?p=427:331:0::NO
This site may help to give an idea of combination of courses you can take if your planning to undertake a degree
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
thanks man, tbh i thought btecs where easier than a-levels but it turns out that ill just get buried in coursework, the uni im planning to go to take all BTECs and an alevel and its a russel ggroup

Original post by ArjunMepa

How are you doing 3 btecs ? I suppose you could do another A level in Biology as you already a grade 4 in Maths and 2 Grade 5s in Core and Additional and then combine that with btec sports studies, but make sure you look at the units in the given btec , some universities require certain units in order to enrol on their degree A level Media Studies, A level Biology with Btec level 3 sport studies; https://my.sacu-student.com/sacustudent/f?p=427:331:0::NO
This site may help to give an idea of combination of courses you can take if your planning to undertake a degree
Original post by Eithus
thanks man, tbh i thought btecs where easier than a-levels but it turns out that ill just get buried in coursework, the uni im planning to go to take all BTECs and an alevel and its a russel ggroup

Ah no worries man, btecs are easier then a levels but it really depends on units chosen for the btec, and the subject itself i know a person that went to UCL by studying a btec extended diploma and A level Computer Science. In respect to the level of complexity predominately depends on the subject and units.

I made a mistake i wanted to take A level Computer Science and Btec Level 3 extended diploma in Business which would have open many doors for me. Unfortunately, my maths let me down during my gcse, but i passed every single subject except for maths., so i just went with my Btec extended diploma in IT Cyber security and Networking, planning to an additional 4-5 units, independent studying. But then again, anything is possible if you put your head down.

Which btec and a level are planning to take and which russell university are you applying for ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
well im currently taking BTEC sport, BTEC business single, BTEC applied science but im planning on changing business to A-level media studies but by head of 6th form is being a bit of an idiot about the whole thing
Ah no worries man, btecs are easier then a levels but it really depends on units chosen for the btec, and the subject itself i know a person that went to UCL by studying a btec extended diploma and A level Computer Science. In respect to the level of complexity predominately depends on the subject and units.

I made a mistake i wanted to take A level Computer Science and Btec Level 3 extended diploma in Business which would have open many doors for me. Unfortunately, my maths let me down during my gcse, but i passed every single subject except for maths., so i just went with my Btec extended diploma in IT Cyber security and Networking, planning to an additional 4-5 units, independent studying. But then again, anything is possible if you put your head down.

Which btec and a level are planning to take and which russell university are you applying for ?
Reply 5
im also looking to study at kings college london, and to study engineering

Original post by Eithus
im also looking to study at kings college london, and to study engineering

Kings college has pretty high entry requirements, you would need to do A level, Maths, Physics and A level Computer Science. or you could it with a combination of a btec level 3 extended diploma in electrical and mechanical engineering in combination of possibly two a levels which is A level Physics and Computer Science or A level Physics with A level Maths
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Use this site to help you in which courses you can do at the end of your course , if your doing a btec level 3 extended diploma it is considered as an A level, reason why im stating this because btec wont be listed when finding your courses.

Im sending off my UCAS application for Staffordshire , Aston and Coventry and Solihull Pretty soon .

Try looking for work experience in engineering. DM me just to remind me if you need help finding work experience because i can send you the link which may be useful in giving an insight in engineering at a prestigious company
If you struggled with your GCSEs, I’d advise that you stick with your chosen BTEC courses rather than switch to A-Levels, exam style content doesn’t suit everybody, which is totally fine!

Depending on what you wish to do at university, 2 A-Levels are usually needed though.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending