The Student Room Group

Advice: Looking to pursue a career in educational psychology?

Hi there,

I’m currently in Year 13 and completing my final year of A- Levels at college. I’m applying to universities for 2019.
I want to pursue a career in educational psychology and was wondering how to go about it? I’ve applied for BSc psychology, and then will complete a masters in educational psychology, is that correct?

What other routes are there in going to educational psychology?
I want to go into a job that has flexible working hours too. What’s educational psychology like? Has anyone studied it before at Uni?

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Hi.There is only one path to becoming a registered educational psychologist (this is for England only- the rest of the UK have their own processes for this but they are widely similar). You must have at least a 2:1 in a BPS accredited psychology degree, or have a BPS accredited Master's in a relevant field (e.g. Developmental Psychology or a research degree such as an MRes). The training for Educational Psychology is a 3 year doctorate. There is more information on the training programme here: https://www.aep.org.uk/training/I hope that helps!
I realised I didn't answer the rest of your questions.

In my experience the majority of EPs I work with adopt quite a flexible working pattern. My employer (a county council) actively encourages people to adopt their flexible working policy, so that should not be a problem. Local authorities are widely flexible in terms of working. That said, there is a high volume of work to complete!

Educational psychology is great, as long as you like working with kids! Our main focus is on supporting schools to help kids to learn in the way that best suits them. Majority of our work is with children with additional needs.

I also forgot to mention, the doctorate also requires you to have at least one year's paid, relevant work experience in a related field (this could be anything from teaching assistant to research to social care). In reality, most applicants have far more experience than just one year. As I saw on another page, it can take the same amount of time to become a qualified, registered psychologist as it does to become a surgeon. It's certainly a vocation you have to be passionate about.

I hope that helps. Any more questions, feel free to ask!
Original post by Sophie_Psyc
I realised I didn't answer the rest of your questions.

In my experience the majority of EPs I work with adopt quite a flexible working pattern. My employer (a county council) actively encourages people to adopt their flexible working policy, so that should not be a problem. Local authorities are widely flexible in terms of working. That said, there is a high volume of work to complete!

Educational psychology is great, as long as you like working with kids! Our main focus is on supporting schools to help kids to learn in the way that best suits them. Majority of our work is with children with additional needs.

I also forgot to mention, the doctorate also requires you to have at least one year's paid, relevant work experience in a related field (this could be anything from teaching assistant to research to social care). In reality, most applicants have far more experience than just one year. As I saw on another page, it can take the same amount of time to become a qualified, registered psychologist as it does to become a surgeon. It's certainly a vocation you have to be passionate about.

I hope that helps. Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you very much for your help. That was very helpful. I think when pursuing a career the passion has to be there otherwise it’s not something done from the heart. I just want a rewarding career- educational psychology for me is one of those and I just find that helping children with special needs is a career that will always be in demand. With educational psychology, do you travel to schools or do you find a permanent placement? For example, with teaching you have to find a permanent placement to work and then you have supply teachers who join an agency and turn up on the day? Is educational psychology one of those kind of jobs? So sorry for my explanation that’s the best I could explain lol.
Original post by SnowyOwl2505
Thank you very much for your help. That was very helpful. I think when pursuing a career the passion has to be there otherwise it’s not something done from the heart. I just want a rewarding career- educational psychology for me is one of those and I just find that helping children with special needs is a career that will always be in demand. With educational psychology, do you travel to schools or do you find a permanent placement? For example, with teaching you have to find a permanent placement to work and then you have supply teachers who join an agency and turn up on the day? Is educational psychology one of those kind of jobs? So sorry for my explanation that’s the best I could explain lol.

We travel around to schools. We are based in an office, and we work with any school in our local authority who needs our support. There is a lot of driving involved! So, to answer your question, no we are not usually based in one school.
Original post by Sophie_Psyc
We travel around to schools. We are based in an office, and we work with any school in our local authority who needs our support. There is a lot of driving involved! So, to answer your question, no we are not usually based in one school.

Thank you for confirming that 👍
I think with driving it’s a good thing to learn when it’s in your hands. You’ll be independent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending