Lozzy1314
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,
Could someone help me!
How is the television show 'Humans' postmodern?
AC2001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it has a interactive marketing campaign which conforms to Baudrillard theory of hyper reality
nhill
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry if this is a little late!
Basically, I would say that Humans supports Baudrillard's theory in various ways, but probably not best to trust me on this, some of this is a stretch and could be completely wrong and useless, some was in the textbook though so that might be right!:
- Marketing campaign - the guerrilla style marketing of humans involved the creation of the fictional company of persona synthetics blurs the boundaries between real life and the world of media and is harder to distinguish between the two. The campaign appeals to audiences as the company and the robots (the simulacra) appear real and are more exciting due to exaggeration than our mundane, everyday lives.
- Humans itself - the concept of blurred lines between reality and simulated media is seen in how real the synths are. They are the simulacra in this case and are a copy of humans that appear to be real and have taken the place of the original, or in the case of characters like sophie they view the synths as more or equally as real as humans themselves.
there's more we learnt about but i really can't remember and don't have my books, I'll update if I can!

Also I just had a look at the digital resource on eduqas and found these things which might be handy, although some of them I don't really know how to link to postmodernism or baudrillard but there must be some way as it's on the exam board website????
- humans has elements of bricolage and borrowing from other texts ("real humans")
-relies on audience understanding of sci-fi to decode it
-narrative is paradoxial and fragmented with flashbacks and montage
-uses intertextuality and cultural codes to create audience appeal
-postmodern themes such as relationship between identity and technology
-social, cultural and historical context
Last edited by nhill; 2 years ago
MissCarter786
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nhill)
Sorry if this is a little late!
Basically, I would say that Humans supports Baudrillard's theory in various ways, but probably not best to trust me on this, some of this is a stretch and could be completely wrong and useless, some was in the textbook though so that might be right!:
- Marketing campaign - the guerrilla style marketing of humans involved the creation of the fictional company of persona synthetics blurs the boundaries between real life and the world of media and is harder to distinguish between the two. The campaign appeals to audiences as the company and the robots (the simulacra) appear real and are more exciting due to exaggeration than our mundane, everyday lives.
- Humans itself - the concept of blurred lines between reality and simulated media is seen in how real the synths are. They are the simulacra in this case and are a copy of humans that appear to be real and have taken the place of the original, or in the case of characters like sophie they view the synths as more or equally as real as humans themselves.
there's more we learnt about but i really can't remember and don't have my books, I'll update if I can!
This is so helpful, thank you.
I don't understand Simulacra. Can you explain that please.
nhill
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MissCarter786)
This is so helpful, thank you.
I don't understand Simulacra. Can you explain that please.
Glad it all made sense 😂
Basically a Simulacra is something that loses its relation to reality and is a representation of something that replaces the actual thing (kinda like a simulation, hence the name) so it's essentially an simulated exaggerated copy of something that's real. So in this case the synths are a simulacrum as they are an exaggerated copy of real human beings and persona synthetics is a fake company marketed as a real one. Simulacra is a wierd word baudrillard uses in her theory that'll hopefully get you more marks when talking about postmodernism! hope that makes some kind of sense???
Last edited by nhill; 2 years ago
MissCarter786
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nhill)
Glad it all made sense 😂
Basically a Simulacra is something that loses its relation to reality and is a representation of something that replaces the actual thing (kinda like a simulation, hence the name) so it's essentially an simulated exaggerated copy of something that's real. So in this case the synths are a simulacrum as they are an exaggerated copy of real human beings and persona synthetics is a fake company marketed as a real one. Simulacra is a wierd word baudrillard uses in her theory that'll hopefully get you more marks when talking about postmodernism! hope that makes some kind of sense???
I literally struggle to understand this is there any easier way to put this into words?

Whatsyour exam board?
nhill
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I literally struggle to understand this is there any easier way to put this into words?

Whatsyour exam board?
My exam board is eduqas I think it's a form of wjec! What's your one?
And I'll give it a shot, it's kinda hard to explain in simple terms its a very odd concept and I'm awful at explaining things😂, it took me ages to wrap my head around:
So a simulacrum is a fake copy/version of something real that the media exaggerates to seem close to reality. So like persona synthetics is a fake made up company but the marketing exaggerates it's 'realness' which shocks the audience as they accept it as real. Its a copy of reality that audiences accept as real due to the media, does that make any sense? Like we were given an example of war, so like the news/films give us a certain exaggerated representation of how war is, to the point that this is what we believe is real/is reality despite being a highly exaggerated version of the real thing? Sorry I'm super bad at explaining things!
MissCarter786
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nhill)
My exam board is eduqas I think it's a form of wjec! What's your one?
And I'll give it a shot, it's kinda hard to explain in simple terms its a very odd concept and I'm awful at explaining things😂, it took me ages to wrap my head around:
So a simulacrum is a fake copy/version of something real that the media exaggerates to seem close to reality. So like persona synthetics is a fake made up company but the marketing exaggerates it's 'realness' which shocks the audience as they accept it as real. Its a copy of reality that audiences accept as real due to the media, does that make any sense? Like we were given an example of war, so like the news/films give us a certain exaggerated representation of how war is, to the point that this is what we believe is real/is reality despite being a highly exaggerated version of the real thing? Sorry I'm super bad at explaining things!
That’s my exam board too! What texts are you studying?

That’s a bit clear, thank you. I’m going to research on this and look on YouTube. I think it’s very significant use Jean Baudrillad theory of postmodernism and talking about Simulacra.
nhill
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That’s my exam board too! What texts are you studying?

That’s a bit clear, thank you. I’m going to research on this and look on YouTube. I think it’s very significant use Jean Baudrillad theory of postmodernism and talking about Simulacra.
We're doing Humans + The Returned, Huck + Women's Realm, Zoella + Attitude and I think the ones from the other exam (Tide, formation etc) we don't get a choice in! What about you?
That's okay, if you need anything else I'll try to help, good plan, if you find anything good let me know!
MissCarter786
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nhill)
We're doing Humans + The Returned, Huck + Women's Realm, Zoella + Attitude and I think the ones from the other exam (Tide, formation etc) we don't get a choice in! What about you?
That's okay, if you need anything else I'll try to help, good plan, if you find anything good let me know!
I’m doing the total opposites 😂😂
I’m doing tide and formation too!

I’m finding industries very hard, how are you revising for that?
nhill
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m doing the total opposites 😂😂
I’m doing tide and formation too!

I’m finding industries very hard, how are you revising for that?
Oh sorry I tried to explain it in terms of humans 😂
Yeah I find that tricky too, I recently made like a theory bank of industry theorists to keep going over, and I used to just go over my notes for each of the industry case studies like the I daniel blake ones or the newspapers but sometimes the questions can be a bit far fetched! I recently bought the textbooks that just came out and am starting to use those for industry revision as hopefully the stuff in there is all we should need! I think the film industry etc is a lot harder to revise, the newspapers aren't too bad as long as you keep revising the ownership patterns, the political stances, the leveson inquiry and the theorists like hesmondhalgh, I've not seen a question on newspaper industry that doesn't involve those yet so fingers crossed!
MissCarter786
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nhill)
Oh sorry I tried to explain it in terms of humans 😂
Yeah I find that tricky too, I recently made like a theory bank of industry theorists to keep going over, and I used to just go over my notes for each of the industry case studies like the I daniel blake ones or the newspapers but sometimes the questions can be a bit far fetched! I recently bought the textbooks that just came out and am starting to use those for industry revision as hopefully the stuff in there is all we should need! I think the film industry etc is a lot harder to revise, the newspapers aren't too bad as long as you keep revising the ownership patterns, the political stances, the leveson inquiry and the theorists like hesmondhalgh, I've not seen a question on newspaper industry that doesn't involve those yet so fingers crossed!
Oooh, I’m doing I Daniel Blake and Straight Outaa Compton too!
For newspapers I’m doing The Daily Mirror and The Times.
nhill
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oooh, I’m doing I Daniel Blake and Straight Outaa Compton too!
For newspapers I’m doing The Daily Mirror and The Times.
Me too, are you doing kiss of the vampire, water aid, riptide, late night women's hour and assassins creed too?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (0)
0%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (3)
17.65%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (10)
58.82%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (3)
17.65%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise