The Student Room Group

Parents asked to pay for books and to attend events

The average monthly voluntary donation parents are making to school funds rose by £2.45 over the past year from £8.90 to £11.35, a survey suggests.

The charity Parentkind found parents being asked to pay to attend events such as concerts and sports days.

The findings come after Chancellor Philip Hammond caused offence by offering £400m for "little extras".

The government says more money is going into schools than ever before, rising to a record £43.5bn by 2020.

The one-off payment for schools in England would be worth, on average, £10,000 per primary school and £50,000 per secondary school, the chancellor said in Monday's Budget.

But he came under fire from head teachers, unions and opposition MPs for failing to understand the pressure on school budgets and his announcement was described as "insulting" and "infuriating".

What do you think?
I dont think that parents should have to pay them. But schools budgets are squeezed so sometimes they have no choice.
Original post by Emma:-)
I dont think that parents should have to pay them. But schools budgets are squeezed so sometimes they have no choice.

I don't know about sports days but schools have always sold tickets for plays and concerts.
Original post by nulli tertius
I don't know about sports days but schools have always sold tickets for plays and concerts.

Plays and concerts- yes they are fine.
But if the articles in papers are to be believed, in some schools parents have been asked to pay for all sorts which they shouldnt have to pay for.
Original post by Emma:-)
Plays and concerts- yes they are fine.
But if the articles in papers are to be believed, in some schools parents have been asked to pay for all sorts which they shouldnt have to pay for.

I think in one form or another this has always gone on. In my primary school almost 50 years ago there was an understanding that mothers bought jam from the lady that made it and sold it for school funds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending