An example of a historical event from different perspectives

Watch
Kindziukowa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I am writing a paper in English, but I do not study history, so I am looking for some help. Do you know any examples where some historical truths were different for different countries/societies?
By which I mean untrue explanations of the same event which served the needs of both countries? Contrasting views on the same issue, where only one was true or neither? Where explanations were untrue and yet they proved to be useful for the country?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyting at all in the run up to the Easter Rising, irish War of Independence, and the 'Troubles'.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not really au fait with Yeats, but I believe so.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Isn't the entire point of history to see stuff from different perspectives
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Literally every historical event can be viewed from different perspectives - that's the entire point of studying history.

E.g. the historiography of the Cold War - a rough summary...

Orthodox historians - Americans in 1950s/60s - it was all the Soviet Union's fault because they were aggressively expanding into Eastern Europe
E.g. Arthur Schlesinger

Revisionist historians - Left-wing Americans in late 1950s/1960s/1970s - the Wisconsin School - it was all America's fault because they were 'economic imperialists' and were trying to dominate the world economically
E.g. William Appleman Williams

Post-Revisionist historians - historians post 1990 and the collapse of USSR + opening of Soviet archives - actually, it was all Stalin's fault because he was crazy and paranoid. E.g. John Lewis Gaddis
Kindziukowa
Rep:
?
Do you think Japan covering its war crimes works as a good example? That from the outside there were terrible crimes, but the country itself silenced them for their own benefit.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Or WW1.

Read about the "Stab-in-the-back-myth" that became popular in Germany after WW1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stab-in-the-back_myth

Basically, they thought that the German army would have won WW1 but they were betrayed by their politicians & civilians.
Kindziukowa
Rep:
?
Thanks! That’s very helpful😊
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kindziukowa)
Do you think Japan covering its war crimes works as a good example? That from the outside there were terrible crimes, but the country itself silenced them for their own benefit.
Definitely. And you could talk about the "comfort women" and Japan's total denial of their existence.

A recent example of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...t-women-statue
simon23says
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any war of independence tbh, the US revolutionary war is a good one.

More recently, Charlottesville incident in 2017, seen as a white nationalist terrorist attack by many (including me) and a defence of tradition/heritage with violence provoked 'on many sides!' by others
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kindziukowa)
By which I mean untrue explanations of the same event which served the needs of both countries?
Examine the causes and success of the Japanese motorcycle industry's penetration of the European and US markets and the reasons perceived by either side for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (97)
5.07%
Uncertainty around my education (288)
15.06%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (203)
10.62%
Lack of purpose or motivation (268)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (83)
4.34%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (110)
5.75%
Loneliness (165)
8.63%
Financial worries (68)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (85)
4.45%
Exposure to negative news/social media (90)
4.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (105)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (168)
8.79%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (182)
9.52%

Watched Threads