Watched thread notifications is coming! Watch

BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

Over the past couple of weeks we've done a couple of tests on a new functionality to send notifications when people post in a thread you're watching.

Tomorrow (Friday 2nd Nov) we're going to do one last test on this functionality, then we're planning to turn it on properly next week!

Based on feedback, we've gone away and fixed a bug so you'll be able to tailor your notifications per thread if you like! If you'd like to be able to turn notifications for particularly threads on or off, just go to:
Username dropdown menu > My watched threads > use check boxes to select any threads you'd like turn notifications off for > scroll to bottom of dropdown > Selected threads: disable notifications > Go.

Done!

Thanks for your help while we've been testing this feature.

[UPDATE] - today's test is finished and we've turned notifications off again for now.
Last edited by BlinkyBill; 1 year ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
TAKE COVER INCOMING

:hide::hide::hide:
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 year ago
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's fine cos we can turn them off the only thread I like having them for is my blog but you broke my blog notifs when you did the last test :fuhrer: they have come back now so please don't break them again tomorrow :emo:
BlinkyBill
BlinkyBill
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
That's fine cos we can turn them off the only thread I like having them for is my blog but you broke my blog notifs when you did the last test :fuhrer: they have come back now so please don't break them again tomorrow :emo:
BlinkyBill
We'll try.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
FFS, it was fine as it was before.

Reality Check
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
Hi everyone,

Over the past couple of weeks we've done a couple of tests on a new functionality to send notifications when people post in a thread you're watching.

Tomorrow (Friday 2nd Nov) we're going to do one last test on this functionality, then we're planning to turn it on properly next week!

Based on feedback, we've gone away and fixed a bug so you'll be able to tailor your notifications per thread if you like! If you'd like to be able to turn notifications for particularly threads on or off, just go to:
Username dropdown menu > My watched threads > use check boxes to select any threads you'd like turn notifications off for > scroll to bottom of dropdown > Selected threads: disable notifications > Go.

Done!

Thanks for your help while we've been testing this feature.
Hi, will there be any way to turn the notifications off completely or do we have to do it for every thread we watch?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I take it I can't tailor notifications via the app?

(Original post by 04MR17)
TAKE COVER INCOMING

:hide::hide::hide:
24 notifications now.:rolleyes:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has the 250 post limit rule been removed now? And why was this done?
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is this something that is going to come in place soon? Because I find it a nuisance rather than an improvement, so if it is I'd hope there's an option not to have it too. I don't need notifs for other people's threads tbh.

Edit: Is there a quick way to turn notifs off for all threads except the ones I make?
Last edited by SoulfulTwist; 1 year ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t want to have to jump through a load of crap to turn notifications off when I post in a thread. If I want to see wants going on in that thread after I post I look on the homepage and click on it, I don’t need another notification flooding my inbox.
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think, for people that give comments on lots of different threads, they count as watched. Going through them all takes a lot of time if they’ve now been switched on for notifications.

A better option would be to give *us* the option to turn them on for posts, rather than them turning on automatically, maybe with a little bell or something, so we can say “Ah yes, this one id like to know when somebody posts in”

Just a thought. ✌🏻
Last edited by FloralHybrid; 1 year ago
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
BlinkyBill
happened to me too :sad: they're kinda weird now.. sometimes, I get notifs from my thread and sometimes I don't.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! The notifs are back.. :bricks:
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am currently watching thousands of threads. I don't want to click on each and every one to turn notifs off.
Do it the other way, whichever one we want notifs for, we turn it on ourselves.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And now due to the notification bug I cannot access 5 notifications on the app.
BlinkyBill
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notnek)
Hi, will there be any way to turn the notifications off completely or do we have to do it for every thread we watch?
Heya,

At the moment you should just be able to mass select the threads you'd like to stop notifications for on that page. We're looking into develop any easier way to do this on the thread page itself too.

I take it I can't tailor notifications via the app?

24 notifications now.:rolleyes:
Not for now I'm afraid. Hopefully soon!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buying my Easter Eggs as we speak.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heya,

At the moment you should just be able to mass select the threads you'd like to stop notifications for on that page. We're looking into develop any easier way to do this on the thread page itself too.

Thanks so to be clear, with this new change to TSR, every thread I post in will be in my watched list and then I'll have to go into the list every time to disable notifications for that thread? There are no plans to be able to switch watched thread notifs off completely?
BlinkyBill
Rep:
?
Has the 250 post limit rule been removed now? And why was this done?
Just tagging in Dez and Amusing Elk - they might be able to answer this for you.

(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
Is this something that is going to come in place soon? Because I find it a nuisance rather than an improvement, so if it is I'd hope there's an option not to have it too. I don't need notifs for other people's threads tbh.

Edit: Is there a quick way to turn notifs off for all threads except the ones I make?
We're going to be continuing to perfect the functionality, this is just the first version. If this test passes, the notifications are likely to remain on from now.

(Original post by FloralHybrid)
I think, for people that give comments on lots of different threads, they count as watched. Going through them all takes a lot of time if they’ve now been switched on for notifications.

A better option would be to give *us* the option to turn them on for posts, rather than them turning on automatically, maybe with a little bell or something, so we can say “Ah yes, this one id like to know when somebody posts in”

Just a thought. ✌🏻
Thanks so much for you feedback. Shortly we'll be working on a way to tailor notifications in the thread itself, so you won't have to do it in this batch-like way. The way it currently works is temporary, but we know from previous feedback that it can be annoying if you're currently watching loads of threads. That's why we stopped the first tests so we could fix the notifications page so you're able to have some control at least.

(Original post by nyxnko_)
happened to me too :sad: they're kinda weird now.. sometimes, I get notifs from my thread and sometimes I don't.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! The notifs are back.. :bricks:
And now due to the notification bug I cannot access 5 notifications on the app.
Hmm that's weird. Are you able to tag in Amusing Elk with any details about bugs like these?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm that's weird. Are you able to tag in Amusing Elk with any details about bugs like these?
I believe Elky is aware of the bug. I hope so anyway.
Amusing Elk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone, I just wanted to reiterate what I said in another thread about exactly why my team have re-enabled this feature.

The main reason is because my team agreed that this feature is good for user engagement (which is the key principle in my team's objectives).

Some of you probably disagree but having this feature enabled will hopefully encourage users less familiar with the site to feel more engaged in discussions they are watching and therefore actively following. In theory, members will hopefully then feel more encouraged to post and become more involved.

As Blinky Bill noted above, we will look into developing an easier way to turn off notifications on a thread page.

I'm going to tag in the rest of my team here MonkeyFish Waister Dez CrazyKittenLady. If you notice any additional issues like the app one(s) above, please give us a shout
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (117)
63.59%
No (67)
36.41%

Watched Threads