harrggrace
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’m buying a car soon, I haven’t passed my test which isn’t for ages away. I don’t wanna buy provisional insurance / drive the car till I pass.
How do I buy it and not insure it ? Like can I just buy it and not get insurance or what ? I just wanna Insure it for when I pass and not to learn in ??
Unknown-99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can buy it but you need to register it as being "off the road" with the DVLA. This is called a SORN.

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hi
i've moved this thread to the cars and motoring forum so you will get some more answers!
i hope you find what you are looking for
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by harrggrace)
So I’m buying a car soon, I haven’t passed my test which isn’t for ages away. I don’t wanna buy provisional insurance / drive the car till I pass.
How do I buy it and not insure it ? Like can I just buy it and not get insurance or what ? I just wanna Insure it for when I pass and not to learn in ??
As above; buy it, register it as a SORN and keep it off the roads.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buy it, SORN it. However if it is kept in a place used by the public ie in front of your house on the road, your sorn won't cover it and it'll probably get clamped and seized.

I wouldn't do this. Insurance fluctuates a lot from month to month, something that may or may not be insurable now if you get a good price using your details but doing it as a full license holder might suddenly become unaffordable when you pass - then you're stuck with a car you can't drive.
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm pretty sure it's unwise to buy a car before you even know how to drive.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by julietlima3)
I'm pretty sure it's unwise to buy a car before you even know how to drive.
Why so? I did it so I could do my test in my car.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (516)
59.79%
Yes- I don't like it (44)
5.1%
No- I want it (244)
28.27%
No- I don't want it (59)
6.84%

Watched Threads