jesstk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys,
I have been given the option to do ad-maths FSMQ but I’m not sure if it is worth doing. Has anyone got any advice?
Thanks
RandomUser01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am of the opinion that ad-maths is not useful if you intend to go onto maths a level or further maths a level. Because it simply teaches you more which is then recapped in the a level syllabus.
a-rose02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As someone who did an additional Maths qualification, it does put a bit more pressure on you, but it certainly makes things a lot easier to understand in Year 12 if you’re studying it at A-Level. It covers quite a bit of unit 1, and helps bridge the gap between GCSE and A-Level, where you’re answering extended questions. The decision is yours, you won’t be at any disadvantage if you don’t do it, but it might help take some of the pressure off of you next year. It did help me though and can help you decide whether or not you want to take on Maths at A-Level if you’re still deciding
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're on for a pretty easy grade 9 at GCSE then take it. It honestly made my first year at A level the easiest thing, in pure I learnt like 1.5 topics and all the rest was on the FSMQ. They've changed the spec now so I think you'd learn even less. Having less to learn in year 12 is definitely a good thing, you can concentrate on other things while keeping up without too much effort

Posted from TSR Mobile
coolguy1707
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
looks better on your CV
Le5pau1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you wanna do maths for A-level then yeah, why not.
begbie68
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on your teacher & how much support you'll get for the actual Further Maths spec.
In terms of CV, if you go on the do A-Level maths & get a decent grade (A,A*) then any GCSE qualification will be pretty redundant for CV purposes.

Essentially the only thing that will actually mean something is the number of GCSEs you have, especially the number of A,A* (9s, these days).

In terms of A-Level, I'd roughly agree with other posters, but with less enthusiasm. Much really depends on the way that the extra spec/topics are presented to you.

IMO the only really valid argument is that it should consolidate your grade 9 at GCSE. Studying F maths will help you improve your algebra (massively), assuming you have a decent conceptual understanding of algebra already. It will also help to improve/consolidate trig, functions, quadratics.

I did F Maths as an extra O-Level. Yes, THAT long ago. I got an A (A* as an award was not even a twinkle in the eyes of the chief examiner back then). I can truly say that neither the experience, nor the qualification helped me any any way whatsoever with A-Level Maths, UCAS apps, or ANY job apps since. I don't wish to appear negative, just honest.
DaQuestioner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I am in year 11 and currently doing Additional Maths.

My Maths teachers have told us that it has no actual use in future, unlike Further Maths.

However, it is a Level 3 Qualification that is above a GCSE, more like an A-Level, and so it carries some UCAS Points. Apparently, if you fail it, no one's going to care. But if you do well in it, it'll look great on your CV and give you extra UCAS points too. It's fine both ways, really.

I'd say go for it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (77)
14.45%
1 (70)
13.13%
2 (66)
12.38%
20.08%
21.2%
18.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise