The Student Room Group

What's the difference between English and English Lang + Lit?

What is the difference between BA English and BA English Language and Literature?
I see unis offer them as different courses, but don't they both teach language and literature?
The latter course probably contains elements of linguistics and/or writing (e.g. creative writing, or more general communication stuff), whereas the former is probably a more traditional academic literature course. Generally a degree that is titled "BA English" will be a literature degree, unless they specifically offer other options alongside the literary content; courses with titles such as the latter will as a matter of course include aspects of both.
Different universities have different ways they teach, and what they teach. It's better to check on uni websites.
Reply 3
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The latter course probably contains elements of linguistics and/or writing (e.g. creative writing, or more general communication stuff), whereas the former is probably a more traditional academic literature course. Generally a degree that is titled "BA English" will be a literature degree, unless they specifically offer other options alongside the literary content; courses with titles such as the latter will as a matter of course include aspects of both.

Oh, I see, thank you :smile:
Original post by Daisy02
(Original post by artful_lounger)

Oh, I see, thank you :smile:

As the above poster said though, courses do vary pretty widely; you can't go on the degree title alone as it tells you pretty little about the course other than the general area it's in. It's best to check the course content on the providers webpage(s) to ensure it is of interest for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending