at uni are your friends mostly from the same ethnic group? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I've noticed people tend to stick to their own. In my own circle there are three south asians and one black person. In my wider circle of like 10 peop;e theres like mostly south asians, one european guy and 2 black people. I've noticed some of my whtie friennds their circles usually have mostly white people and then one or two peopel of other ethnicities. I've always wondered why this is.
I go to qmul btw.
I am south asian and I kinda wanted to experience a more diverse group but a lot of my friends are from the same ethnic group so there isnt much of a culture shock or a new experience for me.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
During school/college, my friends were mainly white. Now in uni the friends ive made are all POC/BAME. However, I dont have any friends (or even acquaintances) who are the same ethnicity as me.
Last edited by 1secondsofvamps; 3 months ago
UWS
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't even have any friends.

But most of my acquaintances are East Asian, though that's most likely due to the fact that my course is 75% East Asian.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think only like 3% of people on my course weren't white, one of those people was in my friendship group. In halls there were lots of international students in my building so my friendship group was majority not white.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
Mostly make friends with people every race but my own (black), not by personal choice, but cause I seem sus. I don't mind though.
sinfonietta
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Nope. My group of uni friends is extremely diverse. That's kind of interesting now that I think about it.
emmataco
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
80% of the time yea, typically its because you have more in common at day 1 so you naturally just gel and find each other.

Same thing happens with french and irish students,
lacky456
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I found the same thing at my uni, people from the same ethnicity as me always came up to me and we became friends, however what I found was besides our ethnicity we had nothing in common. So I started making an effort to get to know other ppl.
chooseanother
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I came from a high school and sixth form where everyone mixed with everyone. My close friend group consisted of me (indian) a polish girl, a biracial filipino-japanese girl, and a white girl. I also had other south asian, east asian and black friends.

Five weeks into uni (at loughborough) and I noticed everybody tends to stick to their own, east asians congregate, black girls congregate, and white people congregate. My two closest uni friends are also Indian. The first girl I met and spent induction with on my course was white, and she ditched me for a white girl.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jdro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Also people mix a lot by class and what kind of schools they go to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (73)
7.82%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.79%
No, but I want to start (348)
37.3%
No, I am unable to (235)
25.19%
No, I chose not to (251)
26.9%