Which A-levels should I pick for Computer Science?? Watch

PU_Student
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I am a GCSE student looking at applying to 6th for colleges and picking my A-levels. I want to study Computer Science at university and I'm not sure what to pick!! I know maths is required for lots of unis so I will pick that and computer science but I'm not sure what to pick for a 3rd (or 4th)??

Can anyone help me out?? What do you recommend i pick?

Thanks
Badges: 13
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by PU_Student)
I am a GCSE student looking at applying to 6th for colleges and picking my A-levels. I want to study Computer Science at university and I'm not sure what to pick!! I know maths is required for lots of unis so I will pick that and computer science but I'm not sure If yowhat to pick for a 3rd (or 4th)??

Can anyone help me out?? What do you recommend i pick?

Thanks
If you like physics that will be a good choice but the third can be real random. Most unis look for maths. Some look for physics (small lot not much) and now fewer unis are accepting computer science (its like a recent thing). It will depend on what you enjoy as well. Maybe further maths if you love maths ?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Typically anything is fine. Further Maths may be preferable if you are strong in maths and considering highly mathematical/theoretical courses such as Oxbridge/Imperial and the like. Physics is of somewhat more limited direct relevance, but is useful in the sense that it makes use of mathematical problem solving which you will need on a CS course, and some of the content for electronics/circuits and electricity and magnetism helps contextualise some of the other CS topics.

Really though, just choose the subject you are best at and most interested in, as this usually translates to the best grades. Since you'll already have Maths and CS, you'll satisfy the criteria for basically every single honours CS course I can think of
PU_Student
Rep:
?
I do enjoy maths, i find it interesting as there is always something new to learn, but honestly I don't know whether i am A) smart enough or B) interested in it enough for further maths. I have seen physics pop up a bit, it seems to be desirable amongst some unis. I take triple science currently, so I take a decent amount of physics but once again I'm not sure whether it will interest me enough to do well at a whole a-level in it!! Plus, I know grade boundaries are high for CS and I don't want to risk getting lower than is required.

Thanks for your help though, I will definitely look into physics A-level!!

Also, I do really enjoy chemistry and biology, but this is 2 more (quite difficult) A-levels and i don't want this to hinder me in any way, it also keeps other options open such as medicine....So I'm in a bit of a conundrum regarding what to do!!
Last edited by PU_Student; 11 months ago
Report 11 months ago
I don't want to risk getting lower than is required.
If that is the case just do a subject you are strong at.
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I do enjoy maths, i find it interesting as there is always something new to learn, but honestly I don't know whether i am A) smart enough or B) interested in it enough for further maths. I have seen physics pop up a bit, it seems to be desirable amongst some unis. I take triple science currently, so I take a decent amount of physics but once again I'm not sure whether it will interest me enough to do well at a whole a-level in it!! Plus, I know grade boundaries are high for CS and I don't want to risk getting lower than is required.

Thanks for your help though, I will definitely look into physics A-level!!
You should pick whatever subject you enjoy the most and will get a decent grade in
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
In order of preference:
Maths > Further Maths > Physics = Computer Science
PU_Student
Rep:
?
(Original post by 6085)
If that is the case just do a subject you are strong at.
Thank you!!!
jesutbura00
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Maths is a must , Further maths is a must for the top universities ,and a science ,(if u have a 4th option select computer science )
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by jesutbura00)
Maths is a must , Further maths is a must for the top universities ,and a science ,(if u have a 4th option select computer science )
I would disagree on selecting computer science as a 4th option. Since some universities such as Queens Mary are accepting students with either Maths or Physics or Computer Science.
jesutbura00
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
It would help prepare him for 1st year comp sci at uni , doing compsci is more useful than doing a trashy subject that is relevant i.e music /drama
PU_Student
Rep:
?
(Original post by jesutbura00)
It would help prepare him for 1st year comp sci at uni , doing compsci is more useful than doing a trashy subject that is relevant i.e music /drama
Not that it matters but I am a girl lol
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
most universities require Maths although there are some who dont. Others like Lancaster dont but prefer Computer Science. Some top end prefer Further Maths but they are a very small number. Other than that if you have Maths and CS your third choice can basically be whatever you require.
jesutbura00
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

OOF soz she*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads