0xygen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi All,

My background: Computer Science -> Software Developer (2 Years)

I've never really cared for medicine or healthcare but after taking an intensive emergency first aid course I felt enlightened. I felt like every human living on earth should have the ability to diagnose illnesses and handle emergency accidents.

I would like to take a nursing or paramedic course for personal gain, I'll never use it for work but I care for the knowledge and skill only.

Is it possible to gain the knowledge I seek without having to go to university? I want an affordable and accredited part time course that I can take after work...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 0xygen)
...I felt like every human living on earth should have the ability to diagnose illnesses and handle emergency accidents... I'll never use it for work but I care for the knowledge and skill only....
I am sure there are online first aid / healthcare courses you can do, but without hands on experience how do you know how you will react in an emergency situation?

Also you wanted to learn skills.... how can you do that in front of a computer / in a lecture theatre? You'll need the practise.
0xygen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by ecolier)
I am sure there are online first aid / healthcare courses you can do, but without hands on experience how do you know how you will react in an emergency situation?

Also you wanted to learn skills.... how can you do that in front of a computer / in a lecture theatre? You'll need the practise.
Thanks for the reply. Once I get the theory done, i'll find ways to volunteer on weekends for a while and take practical courses. The issue is, i'm strugling to find source of theory.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 0xygen)
Thanks for the reply. Once I get the theory done, i'll find ways to volunteer on weekends for a while and take practical courses. The issue is, i'm strugling to find source of theory.
The Resuscitation Council (UK) would be a good start. They run official ALS and BLS (amongst many others) courses, and there are online ones:https://www.resus.org.uk/information-on-courses/
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Resuscitation Council (UK) would be a good start. They run official ALS and BLS (amongst many others) courses, and there are online ones:https://www.resus.org.uk/information-on-courses/
It’s be interesting to see how someone with no healthcare experience would do on an ALS course.

OP, why not volunteer with something like St John Ambulance?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by moonkatt)
It’s be interesting to see how someone with no healthcare experience would do on an ALS course.

OP, why not volunteer with something like St John Ambulance?
:oops: But there is a link on that website for https://www.resus.org.uk/cpr/cpr-training-resources/ 0xygen
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:oops: But there is a link on that website for https://www.resus.org.uk/cpr/cpr-training-resources/
I was being honest about it being interesting, seeing as they say everything you need to know is in the ALS manual and covered in the various stations. (Though I’m pretty sure you need professional registration to do the course, I had to prove I had registration when I did mine).
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was being honest about it being interesting, seeing as they say everything you need to know is in the ALS manual and covered in the various stations. (Though I’m pretty sure you need professional registration to do the course, I had to prove I had registration when I did mine).
:yes: I think all FY2s (and above) get it for free too? (Well, paid for by the acute trust they are working for.)
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:yes: I think all FY2s (and above) get it for free too? (Well, paid for by the acute trust they are working for.)
I don’t know how it’s funded for medical staff, but thought it was expected of F2s.

It’s needed for my role, so there’s no way I’d pay for it, though some nurses do self fund.

To bring it back to the thread, for the OPs use, I don’t think even being able to do A to E management (in ALS) is of much value to them, as it’s very much based on resources, drugs, fluids etc which aren’t available to the lay person. First aid courses, CPR with AED would be more use (and arguably should be part of the school curriculum imo).
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don’t know how it’s funded for medical staff, but thought it was expected of F2s.

It’s needed for my role, so there’s no way I’d pay for it, though some nurses do self fund.

To bring it back to the thread, for the OPs use, I don’t think even being able to do A to E management (in ALS) is of much value to them, as it’s very much based on resources, drugs, fluids etc which aren’t available to the lay person. First aid courses, CPR with AED would be more use (and arguably should be part of the school curriculum imo).
:yep: and hence why https://www.resus.org.uk/cpr/cpr-training-resources/ is probably the most useful.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If the OP was serious about wanting to develop AND USE these skills , the obvious suggestion is to point them in the direction of the various volunteering opportunities for lay-persons, that is Stuff like St John / Red Cross /CFR / Search and rescue volunteering in either the ALSAR or MRC models / motorsports rescue units etc ...
Last edited by InArduisFouette; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (63)
4.59%
Uncertainty around my education (213)
15.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (152)
11.08%
Lack of purpose or motivation (194)
14.14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (59)
4.3%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (79)
5.76%
Loneliness (123)
8.97%
Financial worries (47)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (63)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (64)
4.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (72)
5.25%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (118)
8.6%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (125)
9.11%

Watched Threads